Windy & Cold With A Few Snow Showers

/Windy & Cold With A Few Snow Showers

Windy & Cold With A Few Snow Showers

For me, it was quite disappointing, and I will get over it.  Many of you had the 1″ to 2″ of snow, and even a few spots had 4 to 5 inches just two to three counties to the south and southeast. The bands of heavier snow set up to the south and west of KC, and they never could pass some barrier as it approached downtown.  Here on the Plaza we had 0.3″ of snow, and that is almost a stretch. There was 0.3″ on the top of cars.  I am not a happy snow enthusiast this morning. It was a great snow to pack and make a snowman:

How much snow did you get?  And, get ready for a windy day as a cold front will blast through here before noon with a few snow showers possible, and an increasing wind to 30 mph from the north.  Tonight, temperatures will drop to 15 degrees.

Have a great day!

2018-11-10T08:01:18+00:00November 9th, 2018|General|68 Comments

1. Frankie November 9, 2018 at 7:49 am - Reply

Don’t worry Gary… you’re going to get plenty of snow this winter. The snow drought is going to end.

2. Urbanity November 9, 2018 at 8:07 am - Reply

We received 5″ + west of Salina. It came down pretty heavy from 9am – 3pm, and snowed intermittently until dark.

3. Doug November 9, 2018 at 8:18 am - Reply

1.5″ near 143rd and Switzer in South OP.

4. Nate November 9, 2018 at 8:20 am - Reply

First time posting. Sorry, Gary. I am always disappointed when we are missed as well. I measured five inches in Holden. I have heard there were even a few related power outages in Warrensburg.

5. Snow Miser November 9, 2018 at 8:20 am - Reply

With leaves still on the trees – and with me taking a flight to NJ this afternoon – personally I’m glad.

6. Garrett November 9, 2018 at 8:20 am - Reply

So did the flake contest not end? I had 1.5 inches here in Gladstone? Really wasn’t expecting this tone today Gary, I thought you’d be ecstatic honestly. I was watching the radars as snow approached yesterday and it was technically snowing above us for hours before we actually started seeing the flakes hit the ground. Had this been changed it could’ve been a totally different story.

• snowflakeparkville November 9, 2018 at 10:02 am - Reply

Watching that drove me crazy. It was snowing on radar from like 10:30 onward and didn’t reach the ground until 2 here.

7. Bill in Lawrence November 9, 2018 at 8:23 am - Reply

Gary:

Happy Friday to you sir!!

Picked 1.75 SW of Lawrence. It is so gorgeous out this morning….absolutely spectacular!!!

This cold front means business….it is in the single digits in northern Nebraska this morning….a very interesting 7 day stretch we just witnessed.

Have a great Friday everyone

Bill in Washington Creek Valley in Lawrence

8. Stl78(winon,mn) November 9, 2018 at 8:26 am - Reply

I’m shocked the contest didn’t end!. Reports of >1 in all around the studio
    It’s a conspiracy I tell ya!!😉🤣

• LYITC41 November 9, 2018 at 10:26 am - Reply

Or a windfarm somewhere.

9. Garrett November 9, 2018 at 8:26 am - Reply

And maybe had temperatures been where they had been forecasted. Not being a debby downer but that seemed to be an issue for the 1st hour or so of the real snow. NONE of what couldve seemingly been another inch melted. Overnight temps remained above 30 all night while metoerologist all acorss town predicted as low as 24, and as high as 27. Big difference from 32.

10. Stl78(winon,mn) November 9, 2018 at 8:27 am - Reply

Here in MN we picked up 1/2 in

11. Michael Casteel November 9, 2018 at 8:30 am - Reply

I recorded about a 1/2″ up here in Maryville. Hoping for alot more. My poor Bobcats stayed in the shed! o(“””
    have a great weekend Bloggers!

12. Numb3rsGuy November 9, 2018 at 8:32 am - Reply

KCI officially got 1.3″ yesterday, so we did get our first inch. The snowflake contest just takes place at the 41 action news studio, so the contest goes on. Interesting how they got >1″ both north and south but the plaza missed out.

• LYITC41 November 9, 2018 at 10:25 am - Reply

You can’t make that up. Endlessly entertaining this is.

• sedsinkc November 9, 2018 at 6:02 pm - Reply

Blame the urban heat island. Temps were critical and the heat island being a degree or two warmer made a difference in a snowfall that did not come down hard enough.

• Gary November 10, 2018 at 9:02 am - Reply

Not really true Seds, but it certainly seemed to be what you are assessing. Look deeper. The radar echoes were much weaker in the area that had the lower amounts of snow. There was likely a temperature factor as you are suggesting, but I experienced it on the Plaza. The snowfall intensities were much weaker, and this could not be explained by the heat island affect.

13. Stl78(winon,mn) November 9, 2018 at 8:35 am - Reply

Exactly numbers. That was my point above!

14. Mr. Pete November 9, 2018 at 8:37 am - Reply

Measured a slushy inch in my yard here in Prairie Village.

15. Three7s November 9, 2018 at 8:38 am - Reply

I think the heat shield around the city killed any chance of the snow sticking. I think it was just too warm and dry.

16. BSMike November 9, 2018 at 8:41 am - Reply

Well on to the next storm! Going to check models now and see if anything out there.

• A1hoops November 9, 2018 at 9:01 am - Reply

I’m trying to figure out why the storm on Monday isn’t going to produce anything here. The trough and jet stream flow around it would typically place us in the comma head

17. Anonymous November 9, 2018 at 8:50 am - Reply

S F temperatures man! They better not hover above freezing like that again on the next snow or else I will be pissed 🙄

18. Mike (OP) November 9, 2018 at 8:53 am - Reply

Awesome weather event. I know you may be disappointed in the snow totals for the plaza but drive around KC. It is flat out beautiful. Winter wonderland without having issues on the roads. Perfect winter event.

19. Mr. Pete November 9, 2018 at 8:53 am - Reply

Don’t forget to unhook garden hoses from the spigots. Gonna get cold tonight.

20. Mandy in Raytown November 9, 2018 at 9:00 am - Reply

Any more snow expected today? Also, could we get a chart of all the totals people saw last night? Would love to see a visual representation of what everyone got!

21. Rockdoc November 9, 2018 at 9:04 am - Reply

Very little snow on the ground in Prairie Village. It seems to have gotten stuck in the trees with all of the leaves. As for yesterday, temps in downtown were hovering at 34-35 degrees during the afternoon as the snow was falling and nothing was sticking. Driving to Overland Park after work, the temp dropped to 33 degrees per the thermostat on the car. Snow was sticking on the grass and on bushes/trees along Lamar and over to Metcalf. It seems as if the models had backed off on the snowfall totals on the last run at 12z, and showing warmer temps. The only model that was still bullish was the EURO, which had more snow to the north.

Well, bundle up this weekend for some bone-chilling cold. Overnight temps look to be in the low teens with wind chills in the single digits to the north and northwest. Current GFS showing rain/snow down to the south near HUME’s farm overnight Sunday. Nice little snow-maker over the Texas panhandle into southern Oklahoma.

Better yet is the warm up for late next week 🙂 Thursday through Sunday looking good with temps in the mid 50s with no precip! I’m hopeful they go up to the low 60s if the sun is out. YEA!

22. Rodney November 9, 2018 at 9:39 am - Reply

I got under some very nice bands of snow for hours & measured 2.2” this morning in Ashland just south of the Columbia Regional Airport on our picnic table that is located in an open area in the backyard. It’s a pretty winter wonderland in Boone County.

23. snowflakeparkville November 9, 2018 at 10:04 am - Reply

About 1 inch on everything except roads. The trees look amazing!

24. Heat Miser November 9, 2018 at 10:06 am - Reply

LoL..I think the station is jinxed. I thought for sure you had at least an inch with such widespread reports of at least that much. i was shocked when someone told me the Snowflake Contest wasn’t over yet.

25. Michael Garner November 9, 2018 at 10:07 am - Reply

Snow lovers and fans of cold don’t freak out when it warms up for a couple weeks. Consider the October and November snow and cold as the preason of winter!

26. Stl78(winon,mn) November 9, 2018 at 10:09 am - Reply

Conspiracy!!!😂JK

• Anonymous November 9, 2018 at 10:14 am - Reply

A wind farm somewhere!

27. LYITC41 November 9, 2018 at 10:13 am - Reply

Hopefully the sf contest is still going on in mid Feb.

28. Stl78(winon,mn) November 9, 2018 at 10:20 am - Reply

I highly doubt it this yr YLI

• LYITC41 November 9, 2018 at 10:28 am - Reply

You’re probably right.

29. supercell November 9, 2018 at 10:32 am - Reply

2.1″ 164th & Quivira south OP. Very wet snow. My guess is the water content in this snow is less than 10:1 ratio which definitely cut into final snow totals.

30. Stl78(winon,mn) November 9, 2018 at 10:33 am - Reply

I hope for your sake and the other snow haters out there but as an unbiased observer from a far, I don’t think that will be the case this yr

31. A1hoops November 9, 2018 at 11:02 am - Reply

Next week looks calm and dry but the week after the 4 corner storms return and southern Cali finally gets some rain

32. blue flash November 9, 2018 at 11:10 am - Reply

This was a perfect snow as far as I am concerned. I don’t like driving on icy roads, but I love the wet clingy snow that makes it look like a winter wonderland. If it would be like this all winter I would be happy. We had about 1 inch in Independence as best as I can determine.

33. KS Jones November 9, 2018 at 11:22 am - Reply

Here’s a map of snow accumulations from the NWS in Topeka
    We’re in the 3″ to 4″ patch between Marysville & Manhattan. I measured in three places and all were a couple of flakes deeper than 4″. The high air temperature today is supposed to be 29° and the low 10°. That’s 29° and 26° below average respectively.
    To make conditions more brutal, the sustained wind speed is currently 23 mph, gusting to 32 mph, but the snow that came was so wet it quickly clumped together, and the only blowing snow is from chunks falling from tree limbs.

• Heat Miser November 9, 2018 at 11:43 am - Reply

According to that map, the snowflake contest is over…1-2 throughout all of kc

34. Mark November 9, 2018 at 12:12 pm - Reply

If that snow would have been sticking all day, we would have had a pretty good snowfall total.

35. Mike (lenexa) November 9, 2018 at 12:22 pm - Reply

Gary I know your a bit disappointed in the snow totals but like many fellow posters it was a very beautiful morning with the fall colors and contrasting white snow on the trees and grass. Hopefully this a good sign for the rest of winter.

36. Weatherby Tom November 9, 2018 at 1:24 pm - Reply

Light snow falling here at Weatherby Lake, at first I thought it was just blowing off the trees, but it is not. It is definitely snowing!

37. Cmw November 9, 2018 at 1:31 pm - Reply

If temps were lower at the start, we’d have more When this runs through the cycle again it may be much colder

38. Cmw November 9, 2018 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Snowing light here in Gladstone

39. snowflakeparkville November 9, 2018 at 1:38 pm - Reply

1:38pm snowing lightly in Riverside

40. Rodney November 9, 2018 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Winter weather advisory until 9:00 for central & NE MO, 1-3” of snow possible. Found out where I’m deer hunting in Pike Co 4” fell last night & could pick up a couple more inches this afternoon & evening. Super excited!! Good luck to all the deer hunters going to be a frigid opening morning.

41. thetophat November 9, 2018 at 2:19 pm - Reply

The weather pattern this fall indicates to me (a snow hater) we are heading for a 2009-2010 type very high snow winter. Were I to guess at this point would lean toward 36-40″. Today’s somewhat surprising snowfall reminds me of the little curl in the atmosphere that rotated around the huge Christmas bomb storm back in the aforementioned 2009.

• Frankie November 9, 2018 at 2:52 pm - Reply

Wow. Bold prediction for sure…

42. Weatherfreaker November 9, 2018 at 2:20 pm - Reply

Light snow in Lees Summit…

43. Anonymous November 9, 2018 at 2:26 pm - Reply

Snowing pretty good on the Plaza

44. WeathermanKumke November 9, 2018 at 2:42 pm - Reply

I will agree that driving near the plaza around midnight, it didn’t seem like much had accumulated but as I trekked towards the SW towards college and lone elm, there was easily about an inch to 1.25 inches of some wet stuff on the grass. The heaviest bands looked to stay S and SW of Kc. Belton to Emporia looked to be the winners. We will be plenty active this winter!

45. Adam Taylo November 9, 2018 at 2:43 pm - Reply

Snowed hard for about 15 minutes in downtown kc a bit ago. It’s passed now. Just a squall.

46. KirksvilleDave November 9, 2018 at 4:19 pm - Reply

We had 2” last night in Kirksville. It snowed off and on this afternoon, & while most didn’t stick, there was about an inch on the front of the car, though some of it could have been wind blown.

47. Matt November 9, 2018 at 5:06 pm - Reply

Just got in from walking the dog. Wow…wind blowing in my face was awful. I should have worn some gloves too.

• Gary November 9, 2018 at 6:37 pm - Reply

Wind Chills BRUTAL for November right now.

Record low tonight already reached.

• KS Jones November 9, 2018 at 9:17 pm - Reply

Look for bitter cold tonight and into tomorrow morning as high pressure settles across the Missouri Basin. For some folks, this will be the coldest temperatures yet this fall. In the light purple shaded regions on the map, temperatures are expected to bottom out in the teens to possibly even single digits.

48. BIG PAPA POOF November 9, 2018 at 7:57 pm - Reply

Poof

49. Hockeynut69 November 9, 2018 at 10:31 pm - Reply

I don’t think there is any conspiracy to the snowflake contest not ending. Gary actually said on last night’s 6pm news that he expected the contest to end between 6:30 and 8:00pm. He gets the clown hat for forecasting that and falling way short on snow. I can see why he was disappointed.

• LYITC41 November 10, 2018 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Probably something to do with peers rejection of the theory.

50. Psychotic Aardvark November 9, 2018 at 10:41 pm - Reply

Anybody have any info on what Gary tweeted out not long ago? Talking about new data and snow.

• Ryan November 9, 2018 at 11:50 pm - Reply

I was wondering the same thing. Just scrolled the comments to no avail.

51. Jeff November 10, 2018 at 6:00 am - Reply

Gfs is giving us a couple inches on Monday

• LYITC41 November 10, 2018 at 7:34 am - Reply

Snow yes but we won’t get 2″.