Hurricane Florence Makes Landfall

/Hurricane Florence Makes Landfall

Hurricane Florence Makes Landfall

At 7 AM eastern time it appears that we have had the outer edge of the hurricane make landfall.  This is a minimal CAT 1 hurricane and it will weaken as it moves inland away from its energy source over the warm Atlantic waters.  Speaking of water, this is one of the biggest threats from the storm, the flooding from 10 to 20 inch rainfall totals with some higher amounts likely from this slow moving system. It is expected to make a turn to the southwest this morning and drift into South Carolina.

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 5.57.04 AM

Back in Kansas City, the weather has dries out quite a bit.  The new LRC will be setting up in just three weeks and I am so ready for a new pattern. There is one part of the pattern cycling back through, the old pattern is still alive and well, in the next two weeks. Here is one rainfall forecast beginning this morning and ending at the end of the month:

gfs_apcpn_us_52

September is one of the wettest months on average in KC where typically we have over 4″ of rain.  Four months average over 4″ of rain: May, June, July, and September.  While some spots have had 2 to 3 inches of rain this month, KCI Airport has only had 0.88″ thus far.  Again, I am so ready for this pattern to be over. We may have had one  or two region wide precipitation events since this pattern set up last October.

Have a great day!  It’s Friday night in the big town.  Go to the Weather2020 blog to join in the conversation.

2018-09-15T08:54:26+00:00September 14th, 2018|General|21 Comments

1. Richard September 14, 2018 at 8:08 am - Reply

I’m ready for a new pattern too Gary.
    I think we all are

• Heat Miser September 14, 2018 at 9:49 am - Reply

It’s felt like a new pattern to me here in Lawrence for a couple of months…cooler and a lot more rain.

• Richard September 14, 2018 at 10:23 am - Reply

Its the same pattern. Refer your thoughts to Gary, not me.

• Richard September 14, 2018 at 10:29 am - Reply

Sorry Heat. Just seems you have been saying that same thing for weeks now.
        Yes, it might be cooler, wetter, in Lawrence. But Lawrence is not indictative of the metro.
        I have e0seen a couple of others who have said “Lawrence keeps getting missed”
        So, depends where you, and they, are at in Lawrence,
        Regardless, it is still the same pattern, as Gary said in his writeup above.

• Richard September 14, 2018 at 10:32 am - Reply

*indicative

2. MikeL September 14, 2018 at 8:24 am - Reply

The latest drought monitor for Kansas is comical…extreme drought along I-70 from Topeka to KC with the rest of the state pretty much drought free. Hard to believe.

3. BSmike September 14, 2018 at 8:59 am - Reply

Any signs of a fall cold front anytime soon. Bow season starts Saturday, way to hot!!!

• REAL HUMEDUDE September 14, 2018 at 2:12 pm - Reply

I think next weekend will be a LOT better, 70s instead of high 80s. We need a sharp cold front to kick off pre-rut activity

4. Mr. Pete September 14, 2018 at 9:01 am - Reply

Any idea if October will be warm or cold? Average temps?

• Gary September 14, 2018 at 9:20 am - Reply

Pete,

October is a complete wild card. The new LRC begins, and we do not know what that is yet.

5. Lary Gezak September 14, 2018 at 9:08 am - Reply

I’m also wondering about the two questions above me. I’m ready to cool down. I hate when it heats up mid-Sept.

6. Richard September 14, 2018 at 7:03 pm - Reply

Hurricane Florence
    No way to show it here. But it is pretty damn funny.
    On a friends facebook, I saw a video of a Weather Channel guy out in the heavy rain and he’s really “bracing” against the wind. Wind was somewhat flapping his pants. But he was really “bracing/leaning.” Looked to be on a street corner. It was a close-up of him talking into his mike. Talking about how Florence was really ramping up where he was at.
    Then in the background there go 2 regular joes just strolling along. No problem-o walking. Seriously they were just walking along like no big deal. Not running. Walking upright. No wind seemed to be affecting them.
    My point is, WHERE WAS THAT WC GUY STANDING ?? In a wind tunnel for the effects ??
    I was surprised the WC posted it, with those 2 guys just strolling along 20 ft in back of him.
    It was funny.
    No, the hurricane is not funny. But that video was.

• Richard September 14, 2018 at 7:39 pm - Reply

And the TWC defends. As it goes viral.
        Aha….of course, standing on wet grass is harder to keep your footing.
        So it would have been better/safer to have him on a sidewalk. Not better for the visual affect though. 😁

• Richard September 14, 2018 at 7:42 pm - Reply

*effect

• JoeK September 14, 2018 at 9:51 pm - Reply

And some folks wonder why many of us believe they hype these storms up. Obviously, they have to do what is necessary to get people to listen, but really?
        This truly is sensationalism at work

7. Richard September 14, 2018 at 7:50 pm - Reply

We had a 97 degree heat index at one point today.
    Went from 5 months of frigid cold directly into 5 months of heat.
    No Spring. Now will we have a nice autumn or go right back into cold.
    I want snow, but NOT in October.