Good morning bloggers,
The week begins with high based thunderstorms on this Monday morning. Sunny The Weather Dog posed for this picture with the altocumulus bases, around 9,000 feet up, and a few rain shafts, and even a little rainbow:
The past few days have had a high of 93° Saturday, 90° Sunday, and today will likely reach 91° to 94° later this afternoon. A cold front will then approach the area.
Kansas City Weather Time-Line:
- Today: The high based thunderstorms will weaken before noon and fall apart. There is a 30% chance of one near you, which means there is a 70% chance you will stay dry. Mostly sunny this afternoon and windy. South winds 15-30 mph. High: 93°
- Tonight: A few clouds with no chance of rain. Breezy and warm conditions will continue with a low of 76°.
- Tuesday: Partly cloudy, hot, and very humid. There is a 30% chance of late afternoon thunderstorms. High: 91°
- Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy with an 80% chance of thunderstorms. A few may be severe early in the evening around sunset. Rainfall amounts of 1 to 2 inches possible. Low: 63°
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny and cooler. High: 80°
KCI Airport had 0.20″ of rain this morning. There is a good chance of heavy thunderstorms forming near a cold front Tuesday evening. Here is a look at the surface forecast map valid at 7 PM Central Time Tuesday:
The GFS has been the most aggressive with the rainfall generation from this set up. It is showing one to two inch totals in the area. The timing is good for the front to move through a very moist and unstable air mass, and it seems strongly likely that we will see some of our heavier thunderstorms of the year Tuesday evening.
There is a slight risk of severe thunderstorms on Tuesday. From the Storm Prediction Center: Strong to severe thunderstorms may impact a corridor from the central plains through the upper midwest and Great Lakes region, into New England Tuesday afternoon and evening, accompanied by a risk for damaging wind gusts and hail.
Thank you for spending a few minutes of your day reading the Action Weather Blog featuring Weather2020 and the LRC. Go over to the Weather2020 blog to join in the conversation.