All Should See Rain, But Still Tough

/All Should See Rain, But Still Tough

All Should See Rain, But Still Tough

Good Sunday bloggers,

We are tracking a disturbance southwest of Oklahoma City. This disturbance will be heading northeast along I-35 and should keep the rain and thunderstorms mostly alive as they approach eastern Kansas.

Here is the Kansas City weather time line for today.

SUNDAY 3 PM: The rain will move in from the southwest between 11 AM and 1 PM. It is going to try very hard to break up. But, there should be enough leftover so all can see rain. Temperatures will drop to the 70s in the rain areas.

SUNDAY 3 PM-7 PM: We will see areas of rain and thunderstorms cross all locations from south to north as the disturbance in Oklahoma tracks to the west. Should it track farther south and east, then the rain will be more widespread.

MONDAY MORNING: The other part of the story will be the slight fall feel on Monday. The disturbance from the south will merge with a system from the northwest, becoming an August storm system in southeast Nebraska. So, our area will get on the back side of this newly formed system on Monday. This will mean gusty northwest winds, clouds and a few rain showers with temperatures in the 60s and 70s.

MONDAY AFTERNOON: The summer storm system will be moving into Iowa. It will be in the 60s and 70s around here with a northwest breeze 10-25 mph along with a few rain showers. So, it will feel a bit like fall. Lows Tuesday and Wednesday will be in the 50s and 60s, still a slight fall feel. The 90s will return next weekend, however.

Have a great week and hopefully your yard or farm gets a good drink of water. This is the last decent chance of rain for awhile.

Jeff Penner

2018-08-20T07:40:37+00:00August 19th, 2018|General|69 Comments

1. f00dl3 August 19, 2018 at 9:18 am - Reply

I don’t really remember any signature storms approaching from the southwest in the last year, none the less 2 in a row. Yeah we missed on #1, but this is a very interesting thing.

2. Richard August 19, 2018 at 9:32 am - Reply

Looks like Olathe gets dry slotted.
    Maybe not. Just have to wait and see

• Adam August 19, 2018 at 9:51 am - Reply

Looks to me like Johnson County KS is going to get a fair amount of rain. It’s on our doorstep now. If it does fall apart before reaching here we’re cursed.

3. j-ox August 19, 2018 at 9:47 am - Reply

Bring the rains!
    Lawrence is again ‘officially’ 12″+ down for the year which includes the 2.33″ we’ve received over the last 12 days.

• Larry August 19, 2018 at 10:12 am - Reply

Only 1.57″ for all of August at my house in NW Lawrence. All of July was only 0.72″. I keep hoping that rain band to the south of Lawrence will reach us and not weaken on approach. I’m expecting less than 0.50″ for this event.

• j-ox August 19, 2018 at 4:43 pm - Reply

1″+ so far!!

Rain totals are all over the place according to location. Best to be lucky it seems.

4. Bobbie August 19, 2018 at 10:20 am - Reply

I was lucky and had 4″ last week at my farm near Odessa. I hope everyone receives beneficial rains today.

Btw…when is our next chance of rain showing up Jeff?

5. Fred Nolan August 19, 2018 at 10:49 am - Reply

This looks like it could split the metro. Richard may be right.

• Richard August 19, 2018 at 11:31 am - Reply

I was just going off of Jeffs 3 pm powercast graphic above.
      And current radar seems to agree. Rain is all around, but that orange/yellow wall of water has weakened in many spots.
      But not disappointed thay it is cloudy and cooler. Nice day

6. Mr. Pete August 19, 2018 at 11:25 am - Reply

Just got the yardwork done. Not gonna lie, radar looks good for decent rains….

• Richard August 19, 2018 at 11:33 am - Reply

Hope so Pete

7. Fred Nolan August 19, 2018 at 11:38 am - Reply

This crap is dying in a hurry as it hits our doorstep.

• Heat Miser August 19, 2018 at 12:22 pm - Reply

No, its moving into KC now

8. h August 19, 2018 at 11:42 am - Reply

raining nicely in Lawrence

9. Matt August 19, 2018 at 11:48 am - Reply

We been taken out if any Risk but still have Showers and Thunderstroms but no H. Outlook per SPC.

10. Richard August 19, 2018 at 12:14 pm - Reply

15 min go it was pouring in Gardner.
    I just now saw a sprinkle ! Win ! 😄

11. Jordan August 19, 2018 at 12:26 pm - Reply

Rapidly weakening garbage rain falling in Wyandotte right now, and it looks like the weakest part of the line is what’s going to hit me again. I hope this isn’t the first “fall” cold front, because this is pathetic.

• Dan M. August 19, 2018 at 12:43 pm - Reply

Wow – garbage rain. Sounds like fun.

Really Jordan appreciate what rain you get. Complaining about needed rain makes no sense. Enjoy what you do get and you’ll be a lot happier.

• Jordan August 19, 2018 at 4:49 pm - Reply

You know what? You’re right. I’ll try the optimism thing for a while. We’ll see how well I wear it lol.

12. Richard August 19, 2018 at 12:31 pm - Reply

Looking forward to my first trip to Scotland in October.
    Home of my ancestors. Green green grass of home.
    The new LRC will be showing its stuff by the time I get back.
    I think we will get more than 5 inches his winter. Maybe more than 10 !

13. Adam August 19, 2018 at 12:44 pm - Reply

I want one snow storm with a solid 10 inches. Then a couple of warm days dieectly after it. Drive in it a little, enjoy looking at it, then it goes away.

14. Rickmckc August 19, 2018 at 12:49 pm - Reply

12z GFS and NAM both upping the precip in metro area. NAM even shows >.3 tomorrow morning in a deformation zone.

Odd because, the QPF projections typically get lower (in this lousy LRC) as time approaches.

Do we believe it?

• Adam August 19, 2018 at 12:57 pm - Reply

No, but it would be nice.

15. Three7s August 19, 2018 at 1:17 pm - Reply

Doubt my area even gets a drop out of this. This is a classic example of what this LRC does to storm systems in this area.

16. Rickmckc August 19, 2018 at 1:39 pm - Reply

One positive sign… Already raining here near i29 and 64th. According to NWS the dry air near the surface was supposed to keep anything from reaching the ground.

17. Mr. Pete August 19, 2018 at 1:48 pm - Reply

I can already see the sun tying to come back out…

18. f00dl3 August 19, 2018 at 2:15 pm - Reply

So if this is the next LRC already forming or parts of it cycling into our current LRC, does this mean next year is going to be a drought year as well – kind of like the 1/2 whammy we had with August 2011 starting the drought and 2012 being the heart of the drought? Maybe this year was a parallel to 2011 – when most people were in denial that we would get into a drought but behold, it took shape – though this summer as so far the heat has not been hand in hand as much with the drought

• Lary Gezak August 19, 2018 at 3:05 pm - Reply

Gary has already told us that this is the same LRC. The new LRC will begin to reveal itself late Sep-early Oct

19. Bsmike August 19, 2018 at 2:35 pm - Reply

Such BS yellow and red sw of here but when it enters 435 it fall apart.

• Adam August 19, 2018 at 3:08 pm - Reply

Global Warming, CIA weather manipulation, cows drinking too much water…we’ll have flooding rains some day in the relatively near future. I’ve been through many droughts and many flooding seasons. Thing is when one is happening we tend to prefer the other. For me it’s been a great dry year to spend time outdoors.

• JoeK August 19, 2018 at 3:18 pm - Reply

Adam,

Love the post! Agreed, Glass half full!

• Blue Flash August 19, 2018 at 4:01 pm - Reply

Yes this isn’t the Earth as depicted in Interstellar. The rains will be back.

• Adam August 19, 2018 at 4:06 pm - Reply

Great movie outside of the obvious tilt it had.

• Blue Flash August 19, 2018 at 5:33 pm - Reply

Yep. Your avatar is from Dr. Dog’s planet?

• Adam August 19, 2018 at 6:41 pm - Reply

Well, maybe…but my avatar is from my love of space and otters really. I’ve used Spaceotter as a ‘pen name’ for 28 years. Then a DJ in LA started using it and now it’s fairly common. Should have trademarked it. Lol

20. Michael Garner August 19, 2018 at 5:01 pm - Reply

Has been pouring here in Leavenworth for a while now. Looks like a more wide spread event to me, but I’m sure someone isn’t getting it. We haven’t this kind of rainy day in a long time

21. Mattinleavenworth August 19, 2018 at 5:30 pm - Reply

Roughly 1.5 inches so far in leavenworth with a lot more. I bet we clear 2 inches easy. Man we really needed this especially for the farm ponds and crops.

22. Jordan August 19, 2018 at 5:47 pm - Reply

Wow, getting a good, moderate downpour after a day of steady rain. There’s even some puddling under my big silver maples.

23. NoBeachHere August 19, 2018 at 5:54 pm - Reply

Loving this rain!

24. Psychotic Aardvark August 19, 2018 at 5:56 pm - Reply

Anybody know where the low is centered at? On radar it looks a little further south almost tracking straight over KC

25. Bill in Lawrence August 19, 2018 at 6:02 pm - Reply

Gary and Jeff:

Happy Sunday to both of you!!

Picked up .9 today between Lone Star and Clinton Dam….beautiful rain!! In the past 12 days I have recorded .75; 1 inch; .30; and now .9….a very good stretch of moisture indeed!! Not enough to help the ponds/lakes and Washington Creek is still not running but man it has really greened everything up. The beans in the creek valley are looking pretty good.

Will be interersting to see how this final month or so of this LRC plays out….kind of interesting how we are seeing this system form into a decent summer cyclone. Been since the February ice storm that we have seen this…..(I think??)

Have a great evening everyone

Bill in Washington Creek Valley in Lawrence

26. Weatherby Tom August 19, 2018 at 6:15 pm - Reply

Raining since about 1pm here. Was just a nice gentle rain for hours, but now its been pouring for over an hour. Don’t remember the last time I’ve seen this. I would suspect 2 inches or so in the rain gauge.

27. ClassyCat August 19, 2018 at 6:28 pm - Reply

Finally. After appreciated gentle rain, we finally get under a heavier cell. 143rd and Switzer area in last half hour. Rain gauge is spiking fast now.

28. Rickmckc August 19, 2018 at 6:45 pm - Reply

About an inch at this point near i29 and 64th.

29. Mary August 19, 2018 at 6:47 pm - Reply

Has been a very long time since I’ve seen water pooling in my yard…heavy rain now, steady light rain since 11:30 in central Shawnee

30. Snow Miser August 19, 2018 at 6:47 pm - Reply

This storm has an autumnal ambiance about it.

• Lary Gezak August 19, 2018 at 7:23 pm - Reply

I feel the same! All day it has felt like an October day

31. Blue Flash August 19, 2018 at 7:03 pm - Reply

It has saved the best for last. I was getting worried with only 1/3″ in my rain gauge in Independence.

• Blue Flash August 19, 2018 at 8:24 pm - Reply

Well that’s more like it. 1.1″

• Jordan August 19, 2018 at 9:18 pm - Reply

Same thing happened here. we had a nice, steady rain all day, and then two good cells dumped on us right at the end. It was a nice finale.

32. KS Jones August 19, 2018 at 7:10 pm - Reply

It has been raining constantly out this way since 9 AM — mostly light rain & sprinkles. The rain gauge has 1.9″ in it and it is still sprinkling.

33. birdieman August 19, 2018 at 7:19 pm - Reply

I love reading the comments here. Nice respite from the daily grind. Makes me laugh. Looks like all your lawns and farms are happy.

34. Nate August 19, 2018 at 7:20 pm - Reply

This all makes sense as the CIA doesn’t work weekends

35. Mary August 19, 2018 at 7:28 pm - Reply

Ahhhh…the sweet sound of my sump pump….didn’t even know how much ch I missed you…😂

36. Weathermankumke August 19, 2018 at 7:36 pm - Reply

1.86 at 103rd and Nall (TopGolf)

37. birdieman August 19, 2018 at 7:45 pm - Reply

I now get Richard’s problem. Why did my post get deleted?

38. f00dl3 August 19, 2018 at 7:49 pm - Reply

2.1″ near old town lenexa, most of it in a 35 minute period. Wow 😀

39. Blue Flash August 19, 2018 at 8:38 pm - Reply

8.6″ in the last 60 days here in Independence. #notadrought

40. j-ox August 19, 2018 at 8:56 pm - Reply

1.15″ in NW Lawrence today for a total of 3.5″ in the last 12 days. Good stuff.

41. Mr. Pete August 19, 2018 at 8:57 pm - Reply

I’ve picked up about 2.4 inches of rain over the last eight days.

42. Hockeynut69 August 19, 2018 at 10:24 pm - Reply

Right around 2 inches today. Glad I mowed yesterday. Just north of Liberty

43. RickMcKC August 19, 2018 at 10:27 pm - Reply

Final total for this part of the system (near I-29 & 64th) … 1.54.

44. Rodney Sherman August 20, 2018 at 1:41 am - Reply

2.02 inches of rain in Eudora. It was weird that I work 3rd shift and I sleep from 2pm to 10pm. We only had .13 in the rain gauge at 2pm. Woke up to wow, 2.02 inches! We needed it!!!

45. f00dl3 August 20, 2018 at 5:01 am - Reply

When in the past LRC did a low bomb out right on top of us then rotate back around through? From the southwest, too? This has all the makings of a blizzard in winter months.

• Michael Garner August 20, 2018 at 7:00 am - Reply

If only! Even if this was a sign of a shift in a pattern, the dreaded word, “twist”, would happen

• Hockeynut69 August 20, 2018 at 7:30 am - Reply

Major winter storm the week of Thanksgiving! 47 day cycle from yesterday’s storm would put it on target for the busiest travel day of the holiday season, the day before Thanksgiving. It would make for an interesting news story to say the least. Not counting on it to happen, but heck why not have some fun on here. Too much negativity going on many times.