What Gary Said Friday

/What Gary Said Friday

What Gary Said Friday

Good Saturday bloggers,

We have gone from the “sublime to the ridiculous” this season when it comes to rain. We had a four day storm system last week and most locations received under 0.50″. We now turn our attention to the next rain chance for Sunday-Monday. You already know how this is going to turn out.

It will be mostly sunny, hazy, very warm and humid today with almost no wind. The haze is the smoke from the western North America wildfires. It will be great for the pool and also for the Sporting KC game tonight. Temperatures this evening will drop from the 80s to 70s.

SUNDAY MORNING: Look at this wall of water from southern Nebraska to Oklahoma. This should be a “no doubt, slam dunk” that we see widespread 1″ to 2″ of rain as it moves across our area.  We will be dry with temperatures warming in to the 80s. The weather looks great for the BIGGSteps run for cancer at the KU Edwards campus.

SUNDAY NOON: We are still most likely dry as we await the rain.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON: Here we go again! The rain moves in, but the significant rain is not solid. I would say it could change, but it never does. Highs will be in the 80s, falling to the 70s in rain areas.

SUNDAY NIGHT-MONDAY: After the main wave of energy exits we will have scattered showers on Monday as the storm system pulls away. It will be cloudy, breezy and cooler with highs in the 70s.

RAINFALL FORECAST: You can’t make this up! Since it has been happening this way all spring and summer, we will go with this forecast. The driest areas are surrounded by 1″-3″ rainfall totals. It could change and something different could happen, but my goodness it never does.  We will know, more than ever, when this pattern changes.

Have a great weekend,

Jeff Penner

2018-08-19T07:39:11+00:00August 18th, 2018|General|18 Comments

1. Mr. Pete August 18, 2018 at 9:09 am - Reply

😦

2. REAL HUMEDUDE August 18, 2018 at 9:30 am - Reply

I’m expecting no more than a few tenths, models have it weakening as it approaches. What else is new. Different storm, same outcome.

3. Heat Miser August 18, 2018 at 9:31 am - Reply

4. Ben August 18, 2018 at 10:21 am - Reply

NWS still showing 70% chance and 1-2 inches for North MO

5. Snow Miser August 18, 2018 at 10:43 am - Reply

I want snow.

6. NoBeachHere August 18, 2018 at 11:50 am - Reply

Stick what has happened, no change till a September sneaker…..possibly lol

7. Troy August 18, 2018 at 11:55 am - Reply

Amazing how crops look right now. I have driven East and West about an hour now and I am on the edge of the drought. From Mankato West it looks like irrigated corn and beans but to the East the crops look pretty poor. I think the corn and beans on my farm will do very well but there are fields no less than 10 miles away that have been chopped for silage. You can argue that forecasting using the LRC is a challenge but its hard to argue that the same things don’t keep happening.

8. NoBeachHere August 18, 2018 at 12:45 pm - Reply

What I’d like to see with our advancements tech, is a way to shoot beams up to see flow direction, dew points, humidity, temps, low level jets, caps, all of it instead of just radar and balloons. If we could see how the atmosphere really dances then we could really advance forecasting. I like the LRC but coupling with that kind of tech, weather persons dream and nightmare.

9. WeathermanKumke August 18, 2018 at 1:35 pm - Reply

Major Dry Slot moving in around Monday morning should kill prospects of seeing more than 1.5 inches anywhere in the metro. I say More North and East of KC with the metro getting around .5-1 inch of rain.

Has some similarities to a winter system

• Heat Miser August 18, 2018 at 1:48 pm - Reply

1.5 inches would be awesome

• Tdogg August 18, 2018 at 2:42 pm - Reply

I bet you haven’t seen that much in a long time…

• Heat Miser August 18, 2018 at 3:12 pm - Reply

True

• j-ox August 18, 2018 at 4:06 pm - Reply

More than 1.5″ in one event in NW Lawrence? Not since June 20th.

• Heat Miser August 18, 2018 at 6:20 pm - Reply

oh…that wasn’t too long ago

10. MattinLeavenworth August 18, 2018 at 2:42 pm - Reply

I want snow too snow miser. Our wait will be over before you know it.

11. Farmgirl August 18, 2018 at 6:54 pm - Reply

Guaranteed 1/2 inch, I’m holding ya to it Gerard. 🙂 Well see if this next system verifies with the models, but I’m thinking something will cause the rain to miss southern Miami county again.

12. Mr. Pete August 18, 2018 at 11:14 pm - Reply

Western Kansas is getting hammered again! Amazing. The lakes out that way are flooded.

13. Nate August 19, 2018 at 6:38 am - Reply

Someone going to get dry slotted