Crazy April Weather

/Crazy April Weather

Crazy April Weather

Good Saturday bloggers,

We have been tracking a large storm system across the middle part of the USA that has brought severe weather and a blizzard. This is the storm we have been targeting for weeks, using the LRC. It is the reason we chose April 13-17 for severe weather to occur from the eastern Plains to Midwest through the delta region and Tennessee Valley.

Here are all of the storm reports from Friday and Saturday morning, winter and spring. There are snow reports from Colorado to Montana into the Dakotas with hail, wind and tornado reports from Minnesota south to the Gulf coast.

Here are the severe weather reports. There was non-thunderstorm wind damage in Colorado and a few wildfires due to dryness and high wind in Texas.

The severe weather reports around here were mostly hail. Olathe was the winner, coming in with 2″ diameter sized hail at 5:55 PM Friday. There were also a few reports of non-thunderstorm wind damage as well.

The tornado reports were found in western Arkansas to extreme northeast Texas and northern sections of Louisiana.

What is next? This big storm system will track off to the east with new severe weather east of the Mississippi river and snow/wind across Nebraska and the Dakotas, extending south into northern Kansas. Our area will be windy and cold with rain and snow showers increasing this afternoon from the northwest.

SATURDAY NIGHT: It will be windy and cold with light snow as temperatures drop to the 20s and wind chill values fall to around 10°. The roads will be mostly fine with bridges and overpasses possibly becoming slick. Even if roads are damp to wet, that could cause black ice on bridges and overpasses when temperatures are in the 20s. Main roads will only get slick if the snow comes down hard enough as a strong wind will blow the snow around and the surfaces will be warmer, but that being said, use caution if you are out tonight.

SUNDAY MORNING: This is nuts! Lows will be in the low to mid 20s with winds gusting 30-40 mph. This makes wind chill values in the single digits at times! The snow will be mostly over, but any snow after midnight will make it three straight Sunday’s in April with snow in a season that received under 10″ of snow. There may be slick spots on the roads.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON: It will be cloudy, windy and cold with temperatures 30 degrees below average as highs struggle to 40° and wind chill values stay in the teens and 20s.

MONDAY MORNING: We will have yet another hard freeze as the sky clears and the wind diminishes.  Wow! Is this the last freeze of the season? Well, it looks like the last hard freeze, but we may still see a night or two around 30°. Will these be the last snowflakes of the season? Most likely, but this is a crazy pattern and it can snow in May!

Have a great weekend and it will be 70° by Tuesday.

Jeff Penner

2018-04-15T08:48:35+00:00April 14th, 2018|General|49 Comments

1. REAL HUMEDUDE April 14, 2018 at 9:48 am - Reply

Week from today looks like a nice wet storm for drier parts of western and central KS. Even Kurt should get a good rain by next weekend, looks like a nice widespread comma head. Our weekends have been screwed all Spring, we need a nice weekend in the 70s BADLY. This pattern sucks in Alot of different ways ……

2. Staci April 14, 2018 at 9:58 am - Reply

A few weeks ago the blog stated that next weekend would be nice for the big bike ride in Mo. Now, the forecast looks cool and wet. Any thoughts on that or the last freeze for the season?

3. Stl78(winon,mn) April 14, 2018 at 9:58 am - Reply

Just got in from trying to snow blow about 3 in of frozen slop. The sleet mixing in with the snow overnight made for a heavy wet frozen mess. The main show is on our doorstep and should be all snow for the remainder of the storm. Still thinking 8 to 12 with higher amts possible.

• Richard April 14, 2018 at 10:11 am - Reply

Wow Stl
      still going to get buried huh ? ☹️
      Nothing funny about dealing with it in mid April, but I like your term frozen slop ! Lol

4. Roger April 14, 2018 at 10:12 am - Reply

I will take any rain at this point. Oklahoma and Texas (drought areas) too. Very chaotic. The “Rhea” fire in Oklahoma is reported to be approximately 28 miles long by 7 miles wide. Yesterday, officials said the fire at its peak was moving a mile every 8-12 minutes!

5. Michael Garner April 14, 2018 at 10:14 am - Reply

Makes one wonder, or at least I wonder, what kind of cold fronts we will have this summer. Obviously not artic in nature but how strong the cold fronts could or might be if they can come down this far even with the jet stream going into its weak stage in July. If you just go by 47 days I have several dates in July picked out to see what the weather will be like. I think could be an interesting month from a temperature stand point and even maybe moisture. 47 days from today and tomorrow will be May 31 and June 1, any “bets” if we will be way below average temps around these dates? I started polted dates based upon the 47 day average starting from Feb 20th. I just used that date as we went from above average temps to some fun weather with almost an inch of precipitation on Feb 20th.

6. Mr. Pete April 14, 2018 at 10:21 am - Reply

So are we thinking that these snows will accumulate tonight? Gonna be pretty cold when it comes down. Guess I’ll stay up tonight and watch.

• Gary April 14, 2018 at 11:01 am - Reply

It will be close Pete. This storm goes through a transition this evening, and depending how the new upper low is generated will likely decide whether we have just snowflakes, or a dusting to an inch.

7. Mr. Pete April 14, 2018 at 10:22 am - Reply

Also, will be interesting to hear the wind gusting at 40MPH at midnight….

8. Brittany April 14, 2018 at 10:38 am - Reply

I’ll never forget that time it DID snow in May! Was that in 2013?

• Gary April 14, 2018 at 11:05 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing. I had never seen this before!

• RickMcKC April 14, 2018 at 11:54 am - Reply

I saved that game on my DVR for years because it was so amazing!

That same weekend the wife and I drove over to Hannibal to see one of our kids and there was a good 3-4 inches on the ground from Cameron to Macon. So, snow in May is possible, and based on what we’ve seen this “Sprinter” I would almost count on it.

BTW, Gary, I know the LRC is pegged at 47+- days this year but is there a smaller cycle, too? The past three weeks have displayed an almost identical pattern of big mid-week warmup, storm, big cold shift, snowy Sunday, recovery, then repeat.

• Snow Miser April 14, 2018 at 3:19 pm - Reply

Great video!

I experienced snow in May once when I lived in Spokane, WA. It was early May and I was walking to class, and it started snowing for a little while. Never stuck, though. Bizarre.

• Stl78(winon,mn) April 14, 2018 at 11:53 am - Reply

Yes Brittany…13

• RickMcKC April 14, 2018 at 12:07 pm - Reply

Just looked at the NWS forecast for your area – wow, what a mess! Gusts to 47 MPH in Rochester.

9. Stl78(winon,mn) April 14, 2018 at 12:35 pm - Reply

Yeah the wind it impressive Rick. I’ve had gust to 33 and I’m protected by the bluffs. Rochester is bout 45 min from me

10. Emaw April 14, 2018 at 12:53 pm - Reply

Spring has been postponed until March 2019. Summer is in jeporady as well, growing season this year is going to ride the struggle bus big time. Imo

11. Jack April 14, 2018 at 1:09 pm - Reply

Did anyone hear or see a funnel cloud in kc yesterday? There was not a warning but at one point that was a major hook echo over the city.

• Screaming Yellow Zonker April 14, 2018 at 9:05 pm - Reply

I saw a hook echo on an app and about jumped out of my chair. I didn’t look out the window but I was at Crown Center on a rather high floor at the time. Not a real high floor but I wish I’d looked out the window and seen that rotation. I wouldn’t have known what I was looking at, because there was nothing on TV at the time about that particular cell and no warning. When I saw the hook echo on radar I frantically checked all the channels and all my apps. I have one app called “Storm” that pulls the tornado trigger a lot when no one else does–their storm-track icon turns red– but I definitely saw a big cell with a hook echo sort of to the northwest of town. Not sure if it was at 7:30 p.m. or so, which is when I believe the almost-tornado almost-tore up Union Station (???) Does anyone have a radar image or loop of that particular cell when it was doing that? I had no idea anything like that was near me, as I didn’t hear thunder (that I remember) or a lot of rain (that I remember) One more question: if it had lowered and turned into a tornado, where would it have hit? I had the feeling it may have been farther from Union Station than it looked, but I don’t know? Gary or Jeff said “Northwest of downtown” but some of the time they sound like it was about to descend right on Union Station. ???

• Screaming Yellow Zonker April 14, 2018 at 9:08 pm - Reply

Me again…I wasn’t clear. When I saw a hook echo-looking cell on a radar image on an app, I fired up the Storm App and it had red storm tracks and said “Tornadic Signature” but it cries wolf a lot. I feel like this was later than 7:30 but the video taken at Union Station, it was still light out and someone said on TV it was about 7:30. I had no idea we were under that kind of a gun at 7:30.

12. Stl78(winon,mn) April 14, 2018 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Your not allowed to post anymore emaw! If I recall these snowy wknds r your fault!!!!😂 Also, I’m not receiving your usual jack squat!!!now make this go away

• Emaw April 14, 2018 at 1:40 pm - Reply

Haha my bad, we’re not going to get Jack Squat! Unfortunately I can’t make that call for you guys up on the frozen tundra, hang in there.

13. Rockdoc April 14, 2018 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Good Afternoon Gary, Jeff and Weather Gang. I sure do hope that we DON’T get deep cold fronts with rain in June, July or August – especially on the weekends. This is my “down time” to relax and read at the pool and it’s no fun in the rain or with temps in the low 70s.

As for yesterday’s storms, my flight into KC was delayed due to plane issues. We could see the cumulonimbus clouds as they billowed up on our approach. The pilot was able to find a window on our decent so there was minor chop as we avoided these huge cloud formations. I think we observed the storm as it was hitting Olathe and Lenexa since we were wheels down at 6:58 pm. I snapped several photos from the airplane window. Totally awesome. Gary, if you want to use the one I tweeted, help yourself.

It is hard being back into the ice chest after being in the frying pan this past week. Argh. Just wish the weather will break and we can get some real spring weather here – like in the 60s to low 70s. Have a great week everyone and don’t forget to feed our feathered friends as they’ll need extra calories to get through this cold event.

14. Emaw April 14, 2018 at 1:46 pm - Reply

I’m still waiting for a 3 week stretch of well above average temps like we had last fall in the last half of November and 1st week of December. Our warm ups are 2-3 days and our cold stretches last for weeks. (Ducking for cover)

15. Stl78(winon,mn) April 14, 2018 at 2:08 pm - Reply

Lol @ emaw

16. Mr. Pete April 14, 2018 at 2:14 pm - Reply

Maybe all the bugs that hatched this week will die tonight.

17. Snow Miser April 14, 2018 at 4:33 pm - Reply

Speaking of crazy April weather, did anyone see this? Pretty funny:

18. Emaw April 14, 2018 at 5:11 pm - Reply

Hahaha 🤣 that was freaking hilarious!

19. Emaw April 14, 2018 at 5:15 pm - Reply

Precipitation looks weak and spotty, Royals might be able to squeeze in another L tonight, albeit a cold one.

• Richard April 14, 2018 at 6:21 pm - Reply

They’re still showing the Rangers-Astros game ! What the
      Royals were supposed to be on at 6:15

• Richard April 14, 2018 at 6:34 pm - Reply

Wrong channel !
      Xfinity cable Guide listed it on FS1 and Royals shedule online said FS1
      But its on FSN.

• Emaw April 14, 2018 at 6:59 pm - Reply

Richard, it’s on FS1 now they started the game on the game on their regular channel because of extra innings in the game before. It’s a national broadcast.

20. Richard April 14, 2018 at 6:16 pm - Reply

I know the rule is don’t bash the LRC, this is not a bash
    But where did the LRC tell us we would have such a miserably cold winter going straight into a miserably cold Spring.
    Spring will be one month old in 5 days, and it is failing !
    This is not about storms, misses, or lack of them. I’m talkin about the cold !
    Were the below av. temps predicted to dig in and last this long in the winter special ?

• JoeK April 14, 2018 at 10:06 pm - Reply

Richard,

Yes, the LRC did tell us to expect the cold fronts to continue to be strong well into the spring and maybe into early summer. The cold fronts we had come through during the winter were very strong and is why we are experiencing these cold fronts now. Obviously, the spring and summer versions will not have an arctic factor, but will be abnormally cool during these periods. The easiest way to track when to expect them is to write down these dates on a calendar or record them on a spreadsheet. For example, take this weekends and last weekends cold fronts, 47 days from each of these, we can expect another cold front and also is one of the reasons we can expect additional storms with a severe element. Make sense?

• Richard April 15, 2018 at 9:28 am - Reply

Forget “cold fronts”
        Its been cold for 112 days !

21. Kelly April 14, 2018 at 7:37 pm - Reply

Been snowing in st Joe for 45 min

22. Emaw April 14, 2018 at 7:50 pm - Reply

Have you measured it yet!

23. Weatherby Tom April 14, 2018 at 7:52 pm - Reply

Rain just switched over snow here

24. Phillip April 14, 2018 at 8:02 pm - Reply

Where are you located Tom?

25. Ryan April 14, 2018 at 8:08 pm - Reply

Gary, what are you thinking in terms of snow potential?

26. Mary April 14, 2018 at 8:10 pm - Reply

Transitioned to all snow 435 and SMP

27. Weatherby Tom April 14, 2018 at 8:11 pm - Reply

Weatherby Lake

28. Mr. Pete April 14, 2018 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Heavy snow at Somerset and Mission Road in Prairie Village. Not sticking yet.

29. Phillip April 14, 2018 at 8:34 pm - Reply

Radar doesn’t look good for even a dusting honestly

30. Richard April 14, 2018 at 8:54 pm - Reply

Snowing Olathe
    Snowing at Kaufman stadium and they are still playing ! Losing 5-3 bottom of 8th

31. Emaw April 14, 2018 at 8:59 pm - Reply

I just took a measurement in north Olathe and came up with JACK SQUAT!

• Dave in LS April 14, 2018 at 9:13 pm - Reply

Haha that’s the normal around here unfortunately. So done with winter though, old man winter needs to go to bed.

32. Rockdoc April 14, 2018 at 11:29 pm - Reply

Welcome to Climate Change folks. The effects are starting to really creep in and disrupt normal weather patterns. What was up is now down. What was west is now east. What is north is now south. This year’s pattern has been predicted by Climate Change models. The key is in the Arctic and Antarctica. Cycles within cycles. Mini harmonics within the larger scale harmonics. Shifting in space/time the jet stream and other major weather influencers. #ClimateChange