Better Rain Chances Next Week…We Shall See

/Better Rain Chances Next Week…We Shall See

Better Rain Chances Next Week…We Shall See

Good Friday bloggers,

We had a few thunderstorms on Thursday and we will have a few around today, especially south of I-70. The weekend weather will be bad for the drought, but good for the pool. As we go through the weekend we will be tracking a system forming in the southern Plains. This system will head north next week and attempt to bring us some rain.

Here is the weekend forecast. Now let’s see what potential we have for rain next week.

FRIDAY: Highs will be in the upper 80s to low 90s. A few thunderstorms will form along and south of I-70 after 1-2 PM. This data has them west of Warrensburg to west of Clinton. They could form just about anywhere, but mostly south of I-70. Temperatures will drop to the 70s if you get under one of these downpours. If you have outdoor plans this evening, such as the Royals-Cardinals game, the weather looks very good with temperatures dropping from the 80s to 70s as any thunderstorms drift south and away.

SATURDAY: It will be a nice summer day with sunshine, light winds and highs around 90°. It is a great day to head to the pool.

SUNDAY: It will be dry with lows 65°-70°, highs around 90° along with high clouds around here. Rain and thunderstorms, heavy at times, will be occurring across southern Oklahoma and Texas as a storm system forms down there. This storm system is due in part to the system that dropped south over us on Thursday. Also, a few thunderstorms may form in the afternoon across southeast Kansas and southwest Missouri.

MONDAY: The storm system will head north and a nice area of rain and thunderstorms will likely affect most of Kansas and Oklahoma. Before we get even remotely excited that this will bring widespread rain to our drought stricken areas, keep in mind these areas below have seen decent rain this summer. Then, as the rain tracks into eastern Kansas and western Missouri it becomes scattered or falls apart. The rain will most likely become scattered as it moves in later Monday into Tuesday. Could it be a widespread event? Sure. Have we asked this question before? Sure. Have we had a widespread event during the spring and summer? NO. We will watch this one over the weekend and see how the data trends, but we know the most likely scenario.

After the system exits we will go into northwest flow, which means more chances of thunderstorms. LOL.

Have a great weekend and let’s hope this next rain chance steps out of the box.

Jeff Penner

2018-08-11T09:38:32+00:00August 10th, 2018|General|15 Comments

1. Mr. Pete August 10, 2018 at 9:09 am - Reply

I can’t believe how green everything is around here to be in such an extreme drought.

• Miss Jess August 10, 2018 at 9:18 am - Reply

Everything is green around here if there are sprinklers… My backyard in west Olathe looks like hay. My front yard is decent because of my huge tree blocking the sun, but the back… no bueno!

2. NoBeachHere August 10, 2018 at 10:19 am - Reply

Sitting currently at DFW, super nice thunderstorm last night. I almost forgot what lighting looked like, how thunder sounds and what a prolific rain looks like. To the sw is a feature that looks as if it’s a low pressure of some sorts. Is this storm you are referring to Gary?

3. Anonymous August 10, 2018 at 10:39 am - Reply

Mr. Pete must have the same reporting stations as the Mower Man Mike! No drought here.

• Real Humedude August 10, 2018 at 10:54 am - Reply

Mr. Pete has been in a small spot that has gotten luck enough to capitalize on several of the smaller scale storms that have come through. I went through PV other day and it was actually pretty green in that area, but you go west into Shawnee and its suddenly very brown. That’s the nature of hit and miss storms, some places have gotten many more hits than misses. Others keep getting whiffed like Jordan in WYCO.

• JoeK August 10, 2018 at 3:55 pm - Reply

The drought is definitely hit and miss. Eastern Jackson County is the greenest drought I have ever seen. I have driven all over the city as well as North, South and East. Crops and vegetation are significantly different depending on what area you are in. So in essence, some areas are definitely in an extreme drought and some areas are not. The drought map is general in nature and does not depict localized areas accurately

• Tdogg August 10, 2018 at 8:29 pm - Reply

LOL if this isn’t MowerMike, then who is? The greenest drought ever….dig down and see how dry the soil really is. Jesus Christ!

• JoeK August 10, 2018 at 8:59 pm - Reply

Tdogg,

Read what I wrote. SOME areas are NOT extreme drought. If you haven’t been paying attention, there are areas within KC that have been under repeated storms and received adequate rains while others have been bone dry. Just because the drought monitor shows a large region under a drought, does not mean the entire area is consistent. Moreover, I specifically addressed EXTREME drought and it is impossible to be in an extreme drought and have healthy vegetation. Hopefully, that helps clarify my comments

• Mr. Pete August 10, 2018 at 10:56 am - Reply

Nope just been somewhat lucky I guess.

4. KirksvilleDave August 10, 2018 at 10:40 am - Reply

We had a surprise thunder storm in Kirksville that brought 0.31” of rain! Not a lot, but every bit helps.

5. Real Humedude August 10, 2018 at 10:52 am - Reply

We have had a few widespread rains, this past Tuesday was quite widespread. Now, widespread HEAVY rainfall is another thing entirely. I know that’s what Jeff is alluding too. We sure need it, maybe the morphing pattern will throw us a curve and it will really rain around here substantially. Every dry weather pattern has that event to break the dry mold, lets hope this is that system for us.

• Tdogg August 10, 2018 at 11:12 am - Reply

How’s the yard farm coming Real Shawneedude?

6. Jordan August 10, 2018 at 1:39 pm - Reply

I am digging this new cynical Jeff lol.

• REAL HUMEDUDE August 10, 2018 at 2:52 pm - Reply

Jordan- I know man, I feel the exact same way! Jeff been giving me some comic relief from the drought
      Hey Tdogg…..you sure you Dont want to meet up buddy?
      I bet Richard would love to meet you too
      We can go fishing……. lmk

7. Jeff August 10, 2018 at 3:46 pm - Reply

Deluge in SW Lee’s Summit right now. It’s been a while.