Trying To Stay Positive

/Trying To Stay Positive

Trying To Stay Positive

ZERO POINT ZERO EIGHT INCHES!  That is right, KCI Airport has had 0.08″ this month. The average July rainfall is around 4 1/2 inches.  I know we are all going to get tired of hearing this, but we are in a horrible weather pattern.  It is so hard to describe how things will miss us over and over again, and that is my job.  And, this of course fits this years LRC perfectly.  The same pattern has actually produced similar results near KC since it began with very few exceptions. Hey, we are just three months away from a new LRC.  Right now, the anticyclone, or heat wave creating machine, is forecast to drift out west and by Wednesday it will be over Las Vegas, NV.  It will be sizzling out there.  The main jet stream, which is indicated by the dark blue line over central Canada, is way far north, but there is a strong negatively tilted system singing southeast over the plains as indicated by that black dashed line. This is directly related to a storm that dug southeast in January, and this system is heading southeast now.  This should produce some interesting thunderstorm set ups this week.

One of the thunderstorm set ups is forecast by last nights GFS model to produce thunderstorms over KC Wednesday night.  Well, we know what is more likely going to happen, right?

Have a great day. Here is a picture of last nights sunset with Sunny The Weather Dog.  Go over to the Weather2020 blog and join in the conversation as we share in this weather experience.  This picture is of an anvil at sunset. The anvil is really an “orphan” anvil, what was leftover by its now dissipated parent thunderstorm, and it provided the clouds for the beautiful “Sunny” sunset.

IMG_4181

2018-07-17T07:21:38+00:00July 16th, 2018|General|32 Comments

1. Real Humedude July 16, 2018 at 8:55 am - Reply

Gary – I have some pictures of my sad corn crop I wanted to share with you, what is your email Gary I cant seem to find it?
    I am a lot like KCI myself, areas to my north and south have had soaking thunderstorms the past few days, but missed me entirely and my pastures are burning up fast now. I need one of these complexes to track over me and soon! This spotty activity is killing me, its always hitting Nevada or Butler, never me. I swear we haven’t had a single MCS track in from the West or NW from Nebraska like we usually have happen a dozen+ times a year. LRC 2018, I bite my thumb at thee!!!
    Wait a second, sorry about that LRC 18′. I was just frustrated, don’t take it personally. I cant have you any madder at me than you already are! Maybe I should try being extra nice to the LRC? LRC, you looking good! Have you lost weight? Or did you do something different with your westerlies? Whatever you doing, you are working it today LRC you got it going on.

• Anonymous July 16, 2018 at 9:49 am - Reply

Unfreaking believable the stupidity and histrionics found on this blog. A sure and constant source of entertainment.

• Gary July 16, 2018 at 4:56 pm - Reply

Humedude,

Oh my! Gerard is working on a drought corn story this week. My email is [email protected]

2. NoBeachHere July 16, 2018 at 9:09 am - Reply

Real, trying the same things lol
    But I’m adding some profanity laced comments as well

3. MikeL July 16, 2018 at 9:49 am - Reply

Here in SW Topeka, picked up .30 this morning in a small random T-storm. Yard still brown.

4. Mason - Basehor July 16, 2018 at 10:45 am - Reply

Besides the GFS posted for Thursday night which we all know is suspect, the last few runs of the NAM want to soak us tomorrow (Tuesday) night. Any credibility to them, Gary?

• REAL HUMEDUDE July 16, 2018 at 11:09 am - Reply

NAM has been as bad as any of them, if I had a dollar for every set up it failed on this year I could retire. I don’t care what any of the models show at this point, it’s been a struggle most places

• KS Jones July 16, 2018 at 12:23 pm - Reply

The conditions at your farm are not much different than those just 10 miles southeast of me. Went to Wamego (32 miles by road southeast of here) to buy supplies at the John Deere dealership a few days ago, and I was shocked by how awful the crops and pastures were between here and there. We’re dry, but the crops up this way are looking good, and the native prairie grass is as green as it could be, but the water table in the bluffs is low, and that is reflected by the scant flow in the spring-fed creeks.
        Since I’m outside of the KC viewing area (and urban civilization in general) I have to rely on WeatherUnderground’s guesswork for the nearest town 13 miles away (Blue Rapids). The forecast for Hume is not much different than for here, except we have a chance of getting 0.04″ more rain than you on Wednesday through Thursday.

• REAL HUMEDUDE July 16, 2018 at 3:25 pm - Reply

KSJ – sounds Alot like my local conditions there in Wamego. The biggest difference between our location is KS has been a Tstorm magnet past 8 weeks while MO has been very spotty stuff. It pulses up and dies without going anywhere, so 1 place gets a big rain and everybody else gets nothing. It’s pouring in Southern MO again today, they have no problems getting storms there but west central MO has been getting very little action

5. LYITC41 July 16, 2018 at 11:08 am - Reply

He won’t answer so I’ll try-probably not, don’t trust the models, they will disappoint just about every time.

6. TDogg July 16, 2018 at 1:08 pm - Reply

Did I miss the “cooler” temperatures somewhere?

• Jordan July 16, 2018 at 4:25 pm - Reply

Yeah, it’s 95 on my back porch in KCK. Still waiting on that cold front…

7. Snow Miser July 16, 2018 at 2:35 pm - Reply

The title of this blog has me thinking of this:

• Richard July 16, 2018 at 2:59 pm - Reply

Really ?? I’m out

8. Tdogg July 16, 2018 at 3:51 pm - Reply

Winter is coming…and so is the heartbreak lmao

9. Richard July 16, 2018 at 4:26 pm - Reply

Concerning the new on air 7 day graphics.
    It was hard to see the highs at first glance. Is that going to be permanent ?
    The deep red/blue/white was easier to catch.

( And Tdogg, I know its coming, but fair warning, back off. Not in the mood for your trolling.)

• Tdogg July 16, 2018 at 5:20 pm - Reply

LRC

Lonely
      Richard
      Complains

• NoBeachHere July 16, 2018 at 6:45 pm - Reply

Don’t worry, Tdogg got bit in TWD, so he’s a Zombie Troll

10. Michael Garner July 16, 2018 at 6:16 pm - Reply

Gary based upon the 1 weather app forecast for this week, for 66048, it would appear you expected this week to be warmer, “Current 94°F / 74°F”. Didn’t post the text part but obviously this week is no where near over but would appear the forecast highs would be more of an average around 88 and not 94. My question is that it looks like all the other weeks to come after this week, this week was forecasted to be the warmest between now and September. Of course it is only the middle of July but do you expect that the rest of Summer won’t be as bad as what we have had? If I go off the 1weather app forecast it would definitely appear the worse is over?

11. NoBeachHere July 16, 2018 at 6:46 pm - Reply

Oh my, is that thunder and rain approaching Liberty?
    Oh please let rain and stall out

• Blue Flash July 16, 2018 at 7:37 pm - Reply

Only ones benefiting from these rains are the car washes.

12. Richard July 16, 2018 at 7:00 pm - Reply

I and others have had it with Tdogg and his BS trolling.

Not TDogg. Notice there is a difference. The troll has a lower case d.

First he came after Heat Miser, then others, now I am his target.

You laid down the rule of no trolling. Please enforce it !

• TDogg July 17, 2018 at 1:07 am - Reply

Thank you for that. I dont troll. May not have the best input but it always weather related.

13. Araignee July 16, 2018 at 7:08 pm - Reply

Solid 15 minutes of steady rain on the northern part of Excelsior Springs. Horses didn’t know what to make of it and stood under the trees worried that the sky was falling.

14. Hockeynut69 July 16, 2018 at 8:09 pm - Reply

Literally had rain two miles west of my house and got home and received like ten drops. Typical summer storms.

15. Nick July 16, 2018 at 9:17 pm - Reply

we had about a two minute shower in north St. Joe earlier this evening, just enough to add that extra “pop” to the humidity. went for a 6 mile jog this evening and was drenched (not because of the shower though :P).

16. Alex Pickman July 16, 2018 at 9:17 pm - Reply

Just pay him no attention Richard.

17. David July 17, 2018 at 12:22 am - Reply

This whole trolling thing with adults is dumb. Can everyone please act like adults? I’m sure Gary and other facilitators of the blog are tired of it.

18. WeathermanKumke July 17, 2018 at 2:26 am - Reply

HRRR and 06NAM3K shows that complex diving SW out of Nebraska into Kansas and dives it SE towards Pittsburg KS rather than toward KC. I think our best chance will be Wednesday morning for heavy rain

19. LYITC41 July 17, 2018 at 6:21 am - Reply

And Wed evening if NWS fcst is to be believed.

20. f00dl3 July 17, 2018 at 7:11 am - Reply

And now the models show us barely getting anything this afternoon/evening.

Drought monitor is going to be pretty interesting Thursday.