These Pictures Tell The Story

/These Pictures Tell The Story

These Pictures Tell The Story

We may be about out of ways to explain how we will get missed. We are around 275 days into this pattern, and 275 days into explaining why we have chances of rain and snow, and it may rain or snow, but it will only be a little bit, or it may miss us………..How many more times do we have to do this. Look at this mornings radar:

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 7.45.28 AM

It is hard to make this up. What am I saying?  I am not making this up.  There is a line of sprinkles near St. Joseph, and even the sprinkles are not moving our way. They are just sitting there and falling apart. Heavy thunderstorms are way back over western Kansas. Western Kansas has been getting hit. The KC region has not had one wide spread rain or snow event since this pattern set up in October.

The tropics are interesting today. Will that system over the Atlantic organize into a storm?  Conditions become less favorable in around three days, so let’s see how it evolves.

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 7.46.04 AM

Kansas City Forecast: Mostly sunny with a few clouds building up.  High: 95 with a 10% chance of a thunderstorm.

2018-07-06T23:57:09+00:00 July 5th, 2018|General|45 Comments

1. Nate July 5, 2018 at 8:13 am - Reply

If I put that $1000 aquatic weed killer that needs to stay in my pond for a month, it will rain and rain hard so all of it gets washed out within a day. Just let me know when you want it to rain in Lees Summit

• Gary July 5, 2018 at 8:14 am - Reply

We may need to enact the “aquatic weed killer” plan soon. LOL

2. Anonymous July 5, 2018 at 8:31 am - Reply

It’s July. It’s Hot, it’s dry, it’s summer, and it’s normal. I hate this time of year and I feel bad for the farmers but I’ve seen it much hotter and drier than this. Nothing out of the ordinary

• Mark July 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm - Reply

There goes the anonymity.

3. LYITC41 July 5, 2018 at 8:36 am - Reply

It’s July. It’s hot, it’s dry, it’s summer and it’s normal. Hate this time of year, feel bad for the farmers but I’ve seen it way hotter and drier than this. Nothing unusual about it at all.

4. Real Humedude July 5, 2018 at 9:01 am - Reply

So can we talk about how we have swapped places with the drought region that was out west? They have been getting hammered out there, where earlier in same pattern it was bone dry. It also hasn’t been nearly this dry this entire LRC pattern until now, nor were they systems struggling this hard to produce. Remember when it rained 4-6″ in October? I had a 4″ rain in February over 3 day period, again in late May. We are now Anti-cyclone city central, the epicenter of where they want to stay. They waffle back and forth from west to east but always has us under their control in same fashion. This was not present in previous cycles, not once. The question is whether or not this will persist the entire summer, or if this period is just a bad cycle much like cycle #2 was that left us almost no precip at all. If this is cycle #6, then that would explain it in mind with 2/4/6 cycles being the worst to produce precip in our area.

• Richard July 5, 2018 at 9:29 am - Reply

I agree. Rather I question how we swapped places with them out west.
      Except KC metro really has not had that good of a run with precip during this LRC.
      At least not here in Olathe

• Troy July 5, 2018 at 11:48 am - Reply

If you look at the Sea Surface temperatures there have been some pretty good changes. The warm pool off of Baja is now a cold pool and the La Nina is turning into El Nino it looks like. I don’t know what all that has to do with everything but it probably has something to do with the change in the weather as its changed fairly rapidly in the last 60 days. Hill City, KS has went from 4.00 of rain YTD on May 25 to 20.40 inches this morning and are now 8.5 inches above normal on the year.

• Troy Newman July 5, 2018 at 12:00 pm - Reply

In fact, Hill City is now at the 4th wettest year on record at this time.

5. Weatherby Tom July 5, 2018 at 9:26 am - Reply

I didn’t think it was suppose to rain this morning anyway. The forecast was suggesting rain tonight and tomorrow morning here. Is that chance now gone?

• Mr. Pete July 5, 2018 at 9:42 am - Reply

• REAL HUMEDUDE July 5, 2018 at 9:42 am - Reply

Not gone, just down to 10-20%
      HRRR shows a few very isolated showers/storms this afternoon but very limited coverage. Safe bet your location will remain dry, not impossible you could get a storm though

6. Kurt July 5, 2018 at 9:42 am - Reply

I was blessed with 1.1 inches of rain between 3:30 and 5:30 this morning form several very isolated thunderstorms in a line on the south side of St. Joseph, they would pulse up right when the got to me and fall apart about the time they entered Davies and Caldwell counties to the east. They sure need the rain from points around Maysville on east along the US-36 corridor.

I’ve have been lucky as last weekend we had 2 inches from the storms Saturday afternoon and evening and the surprise this morning, but looking at radar again very isolated and not widespread at all. Keeps me from having to water for a couple days and the yard is hanging in there; haven’t had to water the grass in a couple weeks (lower water bill than June’s I hope).

Continuing the Japanese beetle fight, I have now drowned 3 5-gallon buckets of those nasty critters and wonder if I am just attracting them with the bate? I set up the trap away from plants and trees, but man they are thick this year again.

• NoBeachHere July 5, 2018 at 10:02 am - Reply

Kurt,
      Awesome on the rain. Ditch the bags and traps, that just chums them in.

• REAL HUMEDUDE July 5, 2018 at 10:21 am - Reply

Kurt, suddenly the lucky duck!
      Glad you got a couple of breaks

• Snow Miser July 5, 2018 at 10:54 am - Reply

Yeah, so now St Joe is the wet spot too? Go figure …

• Anonymous July 5, 2018 at 2:20 pm - Reply

In reference to the Japanese beetles-I have learned the secret to getting rid of them but only after they decimated my grape vines and apple trees. Dish soap, I use Dawn, 3-4 tablespoons in a gallon of water and add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Use a sprayer and it kills them rather quickly. Spray in the early morning, never spray plants when the sun is out, do not make the solution too strong.
      To keep them away-go buy cedar shavings (pet bedding) and soak them in water for 36-48 hours and use the cedar water undiluted in a sprayer with a tablespoon of oil per gallon. It is a safe and very effective way to keep them away. I used probably about a good 6-8 cups of the cedar shavings to about 4 gallons of very hot water and let it set. The longer it sets, the better it works. I have absolutely no beetles on my grapevines (whats left) and only a few on my apples. I usually also add the Dawn to the cedar water when spraying. This is a really safe alternative to chemicals.
      Get rid of the traps!

• Bluetooth July 5, 2018 at 4:02 pm - Reply

The new liquid sevin works great and lasts longer than other home remedies. Also stops the dreaded squash vine borers dead in their tracks….

7. Jason July 5, 2018 at 10:23 am - Reply

What’s this thing called rain you all continue to speak of?

• Snow Miser July 5, 2018 at 10:54 am - Reply

And remember, back in the good old days, when we would often get highs only in the 80’s during June and July?

• REAL HUMEDUDE July 5, 2018 at 11:25 am - Reply

I also remember when cold fronts had storms along them. Also a distant memory of MCS systems dropping out of Dakota’s and Nebraska, hasn’t happened once has it?
        Remember the Feb 2″ surprise snow? We were told we would get the same system, only as a summertime MCS in warmer cycles, where is that feature when we need it?
        Oh yeah, it only happened that one cycle lol

• Heat Miser July 5, 2018 at 4:55 pm - Reply

Our forefathers spoke of it often. I think it comes from the sky…

• Jason July 5, 2018 at 10:09 pm - Reply

Interesting theory.

8. f00dl3 July 5, 2018 at 11:52 am - Reply

Severe drought conditions just west of KC w/ Extreme drought conditions kind of pointing right our way.

• KS Jones July 5, 2018 at 12:38 pm - Reply

I think the abnormally dry category should be extended a bit farther east to include the northwest corner of Pottawatomie County. The drought monitor shows it is in moderate drought. We aren’t much below our YTD precipitation average, but there are different kinds of drought, and I’m not sure how we are doing for soil moisture. Soil moisture is influenced not only by amount of rainfall but also by rate of rainfall, terrain, soil type and rate of evaporation. High humidity has kept our evaporation rate down despite high air temperatures.
      Incidentally, the NWS in Topeka recorded the warmest May through June on record.

9. Anonymous July 5, 2018 at 12:23 pm - Reply

Nope. #WETDROUGHT. MowerMike says no drought.

10. Real Humedude July 5, 2018 at 1:40 pm - Reply

The 12Z GFS is dry. I mean nearly 100% dry through day 16. Shows about .1-.25″ worth of rain in next 2 weeks. Brutal Anti-cyclone just sits here and spins every rain chance off to our north/east/west, anywhere but here. Disgusting. That’s downright scary for those with Ag interests. The corn crop is being made right now, the cobs are trying to put on corn but they will struggle with no rain and high heat. Our pastures down here did not get any recovery from the 1″ rain we had last week, they are continuing to go dormant. We just finished up our hay, we got about 50% of normal. Year started off having some hopes but those are drying up faster than the precip chances! I guess we were due for a drought, been going on 6 years drought free. Already hating this…………..

11. Bobbie July 5, 2018 at 2:16 pm - Reply

We’re going to need a fluke storm or surprise MCS to have decent crops around my area. Corn really needs a rain right now.

12. J R July 5, 2018 at 2:42 pm - Reply

Looks like a little vertical development out there…hope it isn’t just wishcasting

13. Blue Flash July 5, 2018 at 2:55 pm - Reply

Some sort of boundary is inching its way south through the metro. This has fired up convection to our west and to our east. Its trying so hard to build up some towering cumulus here but as usual, something is missing.

• REAL HUMEDUDE July 5, 2018 at 3:19 pm - Reply

We are in a dead spot. Storms to the east and west, not here though. That’s what happens in drought areas, nothing!

• Jordan July 5, 2018 at 3:40 pm - Reply

Not a cloud in the sky to my north. We’re getting nothing out of this front.

• REAL HUMEDUDE July 5, 2018 at 4:03 pm - Reply

What cells there are have 1-2 mile wide cores, good luck getting one to sit over your farm long enough to produce a quality rain. Time to accept our fate, drought is here until further notice

14. Jason July 5, 2018 at 4:09 pm - Reply

Temps creeping up closer to 90 for the weekend now. Lower humidity, but those 80’s might be long gone.

• Heat Miser July 5, 2018 at 4:55 pm - Reply

It’s July…it gets into the 90s in July

• Richard July 5, 2018 at 6:48 pm - Reply

Heat,
        July isn’t “getting into” the 90’s. It is a continuation.
        We’ve been there for 2 months.

• Jason July 5, 2018 at 10:12 pm - Reply

My point was, the initial forecast had a high of 84 degrees Saturday. Front isn’t as strong as originally suspected.

15. Snow Miser July 5, 2018 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Just got a little shower that lasted about 3 minutes. Better than nothing I suppose.

16. REAL HUMEDUDE July 5, 2018 at 4:56 pm - Reply

Looks like nice downpour for Grandview and Lee’s Summit. All that concrete will get a great drink!
    Lol

17. Mike Holm July 5, 2018 at 5:31 pm - Reply

Wow, just looked at the National Mosaic weather map from NOAA. There are tons of storms and they are moving in mostly a counter clockwise fashion. Check it out: https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

18. Nate July 5, 2018 at 5:45 pm - Reply

Pop ups, poop outs

19. NoBeachHere July 5, 2018 at 7:36 pm - Reply

For the second time in a week a low pressure is moving west across the gulf coast. Once again storms fired but not in KC. Once again a front flopped and once again I’ll say this weather pattern can get bent.

20. Richard July 5, 2018 at 9:41 pm - Reply

Some might like to check these trackers out. Emphasis on some. Not everyone.

21. f00dl3 July 6, 2018 at 6:48 am - Reply

Wettest drought I can remember yup.

22. Richard July 6, 2018 at 7:36 am - Reply

90’s for Sunday
    Never ending summer
    Just bummed because Spring never came