Afternoon Rain

/Afternoon Rain

Afternoon Rain

Good afternoon bloggers,

Well, 1″ of rain just fell near KCI Airport.  The amounts are varying, so how much did you receive from this first wave. This is the first wave of energy around the first day of summer storm that is approaching.

The storm is shown above by the arrows I showed on the water vapor satellite picture from just after 2 PM today.  There were still some lingering thunderstorms near I-70.  The main storm will be spinning by on Thursday as you can see below.

2018-06-20T07:05:17+00:00 June 19th, 2018|General|41 Comments

1. Snow Miser June 19, 2018 at 2:54 pm - Reply

At least we finally got a storm that wasn’t in the middle of the night. Too bad I missed the whole thing while in a meeting.

2. Craig June 19, 2018 at 2:54 pm - Reply

Absolutely incredible.
    For the fourth time in as many weeks, a wall of water was headed straight for W Lenexa and we only managed about 0.05″ as the storms collapsed and split right around us. The previous occurrences had all been at night. To watch it happen again during the day was almost surreal.
    At this point, I almost feel cursed as it seems nearly impossible to get any significant precipitation.

• Snow Miser June 19, 2018 at 2:58 pm - Reply

Don’t you know? It’s called the Lenexa Split. 😉

• REAL HUMEDUDE June 19, 2018 at 3:07 pm - Reply

Now imagine you had crops and animals depending on the rain, not just a lawn for aesthetic purposes. Its a lunch in the gut when you get missed like that. Who cares if it ever rains in the city, it’s mostly just a collection of concrete and asphalt with some grass sprinkled in. Im just grumpy i missed it too. Here’s to some more rain for everyone

• Jordan June 19, 2018 at 3:47 pm - Reply

I never knew I could be so emotionally invested in the weather until I had crops. “A punch in the gut” is an apt description!

• KS Jones June 19, 2018 at 8:38 pm - Reply

If weather alone isn’t enough uncertainty, just add trade-war to the equation.

• Nate June 19, 2018 at 3:34 pm - Reply

Military/CIA weather manipulation ops in the area has been ongoing for quite sometime

• Heat Miser June 19, 2018 at 6:05 pm - Reply

just stop

3. Three7s June 19, 2018 at 3:06 pm - Reply

Well in Downtown Independence, we got an absolute deluge for about 20 minutes straight. Not sure how much fell but it had to be about an inch or so.

4. bench.warmer4 June 19, 2018 at 3:09 pm - Reply

I had 1.85 in my gauge near Rock Port.

5. KCHog June 19, 2018 at 3:12 pm - Reply

1.1 in Prairie Village

6. Ben June 19, 2018 at 3:30 pm - Reply

2 plus inches around Chillicothe and still raining. Huge rain for the corn. We will be pollinating in the next two weeks. Gary you had me worried showing us only getting 2 tenths last night

7. Farmgirl June 19, 2018 at 3:33 pm - Reply

Nada, nothin’, zip, bone dry in La Cygne.

8. Mr. Pete June 19, 2018 at 3:33 pm - Reply

One solid inch at Somerset and Mission Road, PVKS.

Mr. Pete

9. Jayhawkfinalfour June 19, 2018 at 3:36 pm - Reply

Any chance those storms forming in southeast Nebraska makes it to KC area?

10. Dave in independence June 19, 2018 at 3:44 pm - Reply

Got 1.23 in independence off 24 highway. East of 291

11. Michel Casteel June 19, 2018 at 3:55 pm - Reply

.75” up here in Maryville.

12. REAL HUMEDUDE June 19, 2018 at 3:55 pm - Reply

I fear getting missed by EVERY rain this week. Not looking good down south…….. we need a big rain now for tasseling corn

• Three7s June 19, 2018 at 4:17 pm - Reply

Looks like you’re the new Kurt.

• rred95 June 19, 2018 at 5:06 pm - Reply

LOL

• Nate June 19, 2018 at 4:54 pm - Reply

It’s gotta be frustrating, I feel for ya

• REAL HUMEDUDE June 19, 2018 at 6:59 pm - Reply

If I get missed out of this entire multi day storm I will change handle to Real Kurtdude

13. Jordan June 19, 2018 at 4:07 pm - Reply

.75″ on the western end of Nearman Bend in north-central Wyandotte. I’ll take it!

14. Heat Miser June 19, 2018 at 4:16 pm - Reply

Looks like .42 inches at Lawrence Airport

15. David June 19, 2018 at 4:48 pm - Reply

0.9″ just NE of McLouth

16. Jason June 19, 2018 at 5:02 pm - Reply

Not even .10” 10 minutes south of Lawrence.

17. Tdogg June 19, 2018 at 5:20 pm - Reply

What’s the eating out index?

• weatherjaded June 19, 2018 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Depends on your company.

18. George June 19, 2018 at 5:41 pm - Reply

Got 1/2″ at my house in OP 87th & Antioch. Probably a little more with the high winds blowing the rail sideways

19. Getmbuck June 19, 2018 at 6:48 pm - Reply

Measly 5/100 at 131st and Blackbob in Olathe

20. Troy Newman June 19, 2018 at 7:38 pm - Reply

3.4 inches in one hour and still pouring in NW Republic County. That’s after 1.15 last night.

21. Trevor June 19, 2018 at 7:39 pm - Reply

Are those storms out west supposed to make it to eastern ks tonight or are they going to fall apart?

• Farmer Steve June 19, 2018 at 8:40 pm - Reply

I think they will Trevor. Be patient. Your beans will be fine.

22. f00dl3 June 19, 2018 at 8:20 pm - Reply

All the models showing those storms falling apart but they look potent right now… not sure I buy into them NOT making it here between 11 PM and 2 AM.

And tomorrow looks like a good shot of late Spring/early Summer severe weather risks with all modes of severe possible, though strong tornado risk is minimal definitely a risk for some spin ups, large hail, and damaging winds like Western Kansas has right now.

• REAL HUMEDUDE June 19, 2018 at 9:29 pm - Reply

Yup, huge cold pool building up there. Almost has to have enough umph to get here I would think in some capacity

23. j-ox June 19, 2018 at 9:46 pm - Reply

Just shy of 0.2″ in NW Lawrence.

24. Jayhawkfinalfour June 19, 2018 at 10:32 pm - Reply

The computer models and Gary don’t think it will make it to KC. That’s a lot of rain that’s going to just fall apart according to powercast.

25. REAL HUMEDUDE June 20, 2018 at 6:44 am - Reply

We are all going to get dry slotted today. The storms won’t develop until it’s east of us, disgusting. Seems like the drought played areas are the target now,and we are the new doughnut hole down to the south. NWS still has good percentage changes for rain today bit they need to trim them down to 20-30% chances

26. Bill in Lawrence June 20, 2018 at 7:00 am - Reply

Gary:

Good Wednesday mornign to you sir!!

Totaled .10 in 5 minuets of rain yesterday…Lawrence proper did a bit better but not by much. That gives my immediate location 2 inches in the past 9 weeks…I am for sure in a “rain slump”!!!! Would loved to have saved some that 9 inches that fell in 3 hours the night of the eclipse (turned out that was the 100 year flood for the Washington Creek Valley) and used 2-3 inches right now. But…that is not the way it works and that is weather in Kansas…always keeps you guessing!!!!

I’m going with the NAM for the next 48 hours and say I will not pick more than .25 additional rain by Friday morning….which will give me at the most .35 for this entire set up….it is what it is!!!!

Have a great Wednesday everyone..

Bill in Washington Creek Valley in Lawrence

27. DesertQueen June 20, 2018 at 1:58 pm - Reply

.68″ 6 miles north of Weston.