Heating Up & Looking For Moisture

/Heating Up & Looking For Moisture

Heating Up & Looking For Moisture

Temperatures will be heating up the next few days.  It hasn’t hit 100° officially at KCI Airport since September 8, 2013.  I thought for sure it would happen last summer, but it always fell short. I believe the hottest temperature a year ago was 98°.  Will we do it this summer? It will likely depend a lot on how much rain we receive in the next two to three weeks.  This morning, thunderstorms organized over Iowa as you can see on this enhanced water vapor satellite picture below, and also standing out is the circulation of what is left of Hurricane Bud. Bud is now weakening to a tropical depressing today:

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 7.06.04 AM

Moisture from the remnants of Bud will spread across Mexico, but as this moisture, and the system tracks over the higher mountains it will fall apart. Only a small reflection of this tropical system will remain by the time it passes over Colorado and it will have no impact on the weather near KC at all. What has my interest is a system near the Yucatan Peninsula.  Moisture from this system will stream northwest towards Texas.

By Monday night, a cold front will be sagging south to near Kansas City. The European model stalls this front, and the moisture from the Gulf of Mexico tropical system combines with the front to bring two or three days with a chance of showers and thunderstorms, even near KC. But, the GFS model has the front steadily moving south and it provides a way for KC to get missed once again from this opportunity for moisture. It is something to monitor in the coming days.

Kansas City Weather Time Line (Dry through the weekend):

• Today:  Mostly sunny and hot.  High: 95°
  • Friday:  Sunny and hot.  High:  96°
  • Saturday:  Sunny and hot:  High: 96°
  • Sunday:  Sunny and hot:  High:  97°

If it does indeed rise to 95° or hotter these next four days, then it will be called a heat wave.  It may only by 93 or 94 degrees, so today will be the first test.  Thank you for spending a few minutes of your day reading the Action Weather Blog featuring Weather2020 and the LRC. Let us know if you have any questions by going over to the Weather2020 blog and joining in the conversation, or just reading as we share in this weather experience.

2018-06-15T06:52:21+00:00June 14th, 2018|General|21 Comments

1. jsquibble June 14, 2018 at 8:05 am - Reply

so i have a LRC question
    you stated that the LRC starts shortly after fall begins here and cycles for the next 11 months. Well it is currently fall in the southern hemisphere so do you believe that there are 2 LRC going at the same time?

• NoBeachHere June 14, 2018 at 8:43 am - Reply

I don’t care about hitting 100, ever!

As far as Monday, we need the rain so I’ll pass on the front sagging through for copious amounts of rain.

• Blue Flash June 14, 2018 at 10:29 am - Reply

Gary has said before that there is something similar to the LRC in the southern hemisphere, but he hasn’t had a lot of opportunity to study it.

• Gary June 14, 2018 at 6:28 pm - Reply

Yes, I am just guessing though, as I have not studied the Southern Hemisphere. There is highly likely a completely different and cycling pattern down there.

2. Craig June 14, 2018 at 8:18 am - Reply

Worst.
    LRC.
    Ever.

3. REAL HUMEDUDE June 14, 2018 at 10:22 am - Reply

Don’t like how this anticyclone has set up right over MO/Eastern KS. Its raining in western KS now quite often, I’m concerned the drought will sort of shift over here and relax out there. Its even been storming around Amarillo quite a bit recently, something has changed. Storms literally all around us, but not here. Always next week its going to ran, then it is reduced to single decent chance if that most of the time. I have yet to get an MCS develop out of Oklahoma, I get my biggest rains from negatively tilted troughs that bring up the storms from my SW in the Spring. Some years it happens dozen or more times, not even once this year. Bad pattern, bad, bad pattern for rainfall

• LYITC41 June 14, 2018 at 11:46 am - Reply

Storms in and around AMA?! Tornado must’ve hit the wind farm.

4. Richard June 14, 2018 at 3:26 pm - Reply

This year for KC and surrounding areas is the exact opposite from last year.
    Last year we were the donut hole of moisture while all around us was dry.
    At least I think that is what Gary said

5. Michael Garner June 14, 2018 at 4:11 pm - Reply

Looks like my prediction of at least 4 heat waves could be in serious jeopardy. If we ended up with our first one by the end of this weekend we could be easily end up with 7 plus heat waves by the end of August. As they say “it’s just a season.”

6. Kurt June 14, 2018 at 4:51 pm - Reply

This will be the second heat wave for St. Joseph. We had a high in the upper 90’s the Friday before Memorial day, the 102 degree high on that Saturday, a high of 99 on Sunday and a high into the mid 90’s on Memorial day.

Wish we could bottle yesterday’s weather up along with some generous rains and have that more this summer.

7. Rockdoc June 14, 2018 at 7:20 pm - Reply

Gary, the Weather 2020 app is showing 95 degrees right now in Prairie Village and it is after 7 pm. I believe it hit a high of 96 or 97 earlier today. Very low humidity, at least compared to St Louis where I was at for several days.

I’m beginning to think we are looking at a repeat of 2012. This is not normal to have extended temperatures in the 90s in June. This is July/August weather. And yes, I believe there is an LRC in the Southern Hemisphere. I bet a good country to look at since it is quite expansive east to west is Australia. They also experience “seasonal” temps and weather.

• Richard June 14, 2018 at 7:57 pm - Reply

I agree with the 2012 comparison.
      All the moisture that year totally shut off by May 1.
      But this year we have not had an abundance of moisture like we did before May in 2012.
      This summer is going to be one for thecrecord books. It already is, and its not even summer yet.

8. Tim Moore June 14, 2018 at 7:56 pm - Reply

So the question is.. when do we give up on sprinklers? Seems like a losing battle at this point.

• Richard June 14, 2018 at 8:02 pm - Reply

Been wondering that myself.
      I’ve been watering my maple tree, out away from the trunk, but not my grass.

MMike, if your here, advice ?

9. REAL HUMEDUDE June 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm - Reply

Last GFS IS saying the front gets hung up here next week with a couple different rounds of storms around the vicinity. Now, is the EURO still saying that? Really hoping it does obviously we all need a big drink.

• KS Jones June 14, 2018 at 10:17 pm - Reply

This is what WeatherUnderground predicts for this area.
      Friday: 0 % Precip. / 0 in
      Sunny skies . . . High around 100F.
      Friday Night: 0 % Precip. / 0 in.
      Saturday: 0 % Precip. / 0 in. Generally sunny . . . High 99F.
      Saturday Night 0 % Precip. / 0 in
      Sunday: 0 % Precip. / 0 in. Sunshine and clouds mixed. High 99F.
      Sunday Night: 10 % Precip. / 0 in
      Monday: 80 % Precip. / 0.31 in. Thunderstorms developing later in the day. High 93F.
      Monday Night: 80 % Precip. / 0.36 in.Thunderstorms likely in the evening. Then the chance of scattered thunderstorms later on.
      Tuesday: 50 % Precip. / 0.11 in. Scattered thunderstorms, especially in the morning. High 84F.
      Tuesday Night 50 % Precip. / 0.31 in. Variably cloudy with scattered thunderstorms.
      Wednesday: 50 % Precip. / 0.28 in. Mixed clouds and sun with scattered thunderstorms. High near 85F.
      Wednesday Night: 40 % Precip. / 0.15 in. Scattered thunderstorms during the evening followed by occasional showers overnight.
      Thursday: 40 % Precip. / 0.06 in. Cloudy with a few showers. High 87F.

10. REAL HUMEDUDE June 14, 2018 at 9:47 pm - Reply

Ps, you Guys Are crazy with the 2012 references. We were over 100F like 31 times if I Remember right. And my creek was bone dry, pit was 6′ low. It’s not even close, maybe areas around Kurt will make a run at kind of heat and dryness but I doubt it. If it gets wet next week- which is a big if- it will be even harder as we will habe 70F dewpoints for awhile

11. Mark June 15, 2018 at 6:48 am - Reply

Why is that TDogg bozo allowed to keep posting? Is this site moderated or not?

12. snowflakeparkville June 15, 2018 at 6:25 pm - Reply

A note about 100°…the last official 100 reading was September 8, 2013. The temperature has not been reached since. In fact, 99° has been reached only once since that time, on June 22, 2016.

This is the third-longest (if my counting is correct) 100°-less period since records began in 1888.

• snowflakeparkville June 15, 2018 at 6:31 pm - Reply

Comment continued: Yes, third-longest.

August 2 1991 – July 26 1999 – 2915 days
      August 25 1901 – August 16 1909 – 2913 days
      September 8 2013 – June 15 2018+ – 1741 days and counting.