Water Shortage Concerns Grow

/Water Shortage Concerns Grow

Water Shortage Concerns Grow

Cameron, MO has suggested to their residents to begin rationing water; from their facebook page in Cameron, “Conditions have not improved and the lack of considerable precipitation has dropped our raw water level to below 50%. A declaration of water shortage Alert was enacted when our raw water supply fell below this level.  During the Alert stage, the city shall continue to encourage voluntary water conservation measures defined under the advisory declaration, and shall further impose a ban on water hauling for non-domestic use, and ban all non-essential (Class 3) water uses”.  It should have rained this morning. I was expecting heavy thunderstorms, and finally at 10 PM last night I dropped the chance of rain from 60% to 20%, but should have dropped it to 0%.  It did come close as Sunny shows us this morning. Here is Sunny The Weather Dog posing with high based cumulus, or altocumulus clouds that fell short of developing into thunderstorms as of 7 AM:

IMG_3834

Kanssa City International Airport has one of the higher rainfall totals for the year in our region.  11.07″ of rain has fallen, but this is 4 inches below the average of 15.07″.  So, when is the next chance of significant rainfall, and I mean when is the next chance of anything more than an Isolated thunderstorm?   Perhaps, it will come in one of the next few mornings, but the next good chance has now been pushed to around Monday night.  Something may sneak in here on Sunday morning, but it appears that chance will be well off to the east.

Heat Builds In This Weekend:

Temperatures will be rising. Since the rain didn’t arrive as we were expecting, the conditions are becoming more favorable for a jump into the middle 90s by Sunday and Monday.  A cold front will move through by Monday night, cooling things off, and this front will bring our next chance of significant thunderstorms.  We will look into that chance early next week.

The Dog-n-Jog is this Sunday morning, so that better not be the morning we get thunderstorms.  We will be out there with 1000s of dogs as we raise money for the Humane Society of  Greater KC.  Here is a picture of Sunny, Sox, Kevin Holmes, and myself.  You can register your dog by going to HSGKC.org.

IMG_3828

Have a great Friday.  Thank you for spending a few minutes  of your day reading the Action Weather Blog featuring Weather2020 and the LRC.

2018-06-09T10:17:05+00:00June 8th, 2018|General|38 Comments

1. f00dl3 June 8, 2018 at 7:28 am - Reply

If we don’t get rain this 90-95 degree stretch in late May would equate to a 2-3 week stretch with temps over 95 or even over 100. Major heat wave likely starting second week of July, will be on the scale of 2012.

2. Three7s June 8, 2018 at 7:41 am - Reply

I know the grass is still green, but some areas are in a drought, obviously. Not everywhere, since there have been so many “hit and miss” storms, but the general outlook has to be drought at this point.

3. Snow Miser June 8, 2018 at 7:50 am - Reply

There’s only 200 days until Christmas!

• Brittany June 8, 2018 at 3:00 pm - Reply

Mm Christmas…snow, COLD. Am I crazy for wanting that?!

4. f00dl3 June 8, 2018 at 8:42 am - Reply

Posted this on the last blog but was the last post:

For 15 days at this time of year, barely over an inch. Funny how KC metro is in a “donut hole”

5. REAL HUMEDUDE June 8, 2018 at 9:38 am - Reply

I only go to watch the 6pm newscast, so I saw that Powercast of a huge MCS blasting through the south side of the viewing area. Not even a shower developed, what happened to the disturbance tracking out of NM? I know NAM was showing a good system too, our models are failing us. Very concerning that these chances aren’t even capable of producing a drop of rain, the pattern is suddenly acting very droughtish. I must say I doubt we get a cold front next week that produces widespread rainfall, that is the next thing to poof on us. We are getting our hay up now before it burns up, I suggest anybody with hay do the same.

• Gary June 8, 2018 at 10:24 am - Reply

Pretty sad. It was the first night we were the target, and then it was the first night nothing formed anywhere upstream over Kansas at all. This is not good.

6. Richard June 8, 2018 at 9:41 am - Reply

Green grass does not show whats happening below the surface. Its dry.
    My grass is hit and miss green now.

MMike what are your properties looking like.

Gary what time is the dog n jog.

7. Snow Miser June 8, 2018 at 9:45 am - Reply

I have decided I’m going to buy a lawn sprinkler on my way home today. Never thought I’d have to do that around here.

8. Kurt June 8, 2018 at 10:04 am - Reply

Does anyone need garden hoses? I have been stock piling since last summer, smiley face.

• ClassyCat June 9, 2018 at 8:53 am - Reply

Kurt, you’ve had done drought whining posts for a while, but I have to tell you, this post of yours is your best!!! That was funny and spot on. Nice job

• ClassyCat June 9, 2018 at 8:53 am - Reply

Some. Not done. Stupid phone.

9. NoBeachHere June 8, 2018 at 10:12 am - Reply

Not to be rude but I’ll take rain Sunday morning over a dog n jog right now. Sorry about the social
    Dampening, most will probably like it any way since we may be hot.
    We all need rain , badly!

10. Troy Newman June 8, 2018 at 10:22 am - Reply

Is the dry area moving farther North and East? It appears the High Plains which where so dry are now getting rain but the area from Northeast KS to Central IL is the area missing out.

11. Michael Garner June 8, 2018 at 11:11 am - Reply

Maybe in late July thru August we can get the same pattern with different results…Maybe a version of April, obviously without snow and artic fronts but some strong Canadian fronts would be nice. Then again we have not had a real bad summer in a while. If dewpoints are high then it means we have gotten rain and it will be hard to hit that 100 degree mark. (Don’t care if we do or don’t, 95 and 100, what’s the difference, besides 5 degrees, either way hot). No rain, dew points will start to drop like crazy and we will just be hot, but you can breath in it. Every permanent drought, like everyone was declaring in 2012, does eventually get broken. Just don’t want to ever experience the 1930’s type of summers.

12. Ben June 8, 2018 at 11:16 am - Reply

So the Euro model which was being thrown out as not possible a few days ago is now playing out to be correct. I don’t like where this summer is headed

• Ben June 8, 2018 at 11:17 am - Reply

I think it’s time to start believing the model with the smallest chance is the right one

• MikeL June 8, 2018 at 12:51 pm - Reply

I’ve been doing that for years, especially when it comes to snow.

13. Richard June 8, 2018 at 11:50 am - Reply

Jeff did say they were throwing out the Euro “at this time”
    guess it needs to be brought back into the fold

• Gary June 8, 2018 at 4:34 pm - Reply

The European Model wins! It modeled dry, and it has been dry. This model now has 1 to 3 inches of rain in the next ten days. Can you imagine? Have a great Friday Night In The Big Town everyone!

14. Roger June 8, 2018 at 12:49 pm - Reply

This one is for you Kurt. According to the latest Drought Monitor (June 5th):

“In northwestern Missouri, St. Joseph (Buchanan County) reported 19.28 inches of precipitation over the past year (Jun 1, 2017-May 30, 2018). Normal precipitation for this area and time period is 35.60 inches. Many different types of plants (such as woody, some perennials, and evergreen), and trees (such as pines, yews, and boxwoods) have shown significant amounts of stress from the drought. In nearby Hamilton, the city lake is very low, as are many ponds throughout the region. This week, severe drought (D2) was expanded across northwest Missouri, and approximately the eastern half of the moderate drought (D1) area in northern Missouri was expanded slightly southeastward.”

“Incidentally, the importance of rapid loss of moisture through evaporation has become a very important consideration in early detection of flash drought; hence the increasing reliance upon the Evaporative Demand Drought Index (EDDI). High values of the 2-week EDDI (ED1 to ED3) across the Corn Belt are indicative of significant moisture loss, which must be balanced against any moisture gains that occur through precipitation. It is the interplay between evaporation, high heat, rainfall, soil moisture, and wind speeds that has a significant bearing on accurate drought prediction.”

15. Richard June 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm - Reply
    • Brittany June 8, 2018 at 3:03 pm - Reply

I wish this said when they think one might form. I’m going to Disney World for the 4th of July and would rather not be caught in a hurricane LOL.

16. KS Jones June 8, 2018 at 3:01 pm - Reply

The following interview by Thompson compares our current dry conditions to those in 2011. Shouldn’t that be 2012?
    June 6, 2018
    You may not realize it by looking at all the green grass and foliage on the trees, but Kansas City is on the edge of an expanding drought right now. . . Mike Thompson went to the Kansas State Water Office to get an idea of where the metro stands now. . . Director Tracy Streeter is worried . . .

• REAL HUMEDUDE June 8, 2018 at 3:36 pm - Reply

I read that too, but it mentioned 2011 like 4 different times so couldn’t be that many typos. We had a drought in 2011 at the farm, but it wasn’t near as bad as 2012. We were probably a d2 drought in 11′, but it was d3 or d4 in 2012 not even close. Sucked having those years back to back, felt lime I only got 2 or 3 decent rains in a 2 year period. Makes you age faster when you are always hunting for a rain, it wears on your soul.

• Richard June 8, 2018 at 4:17 pm - Reply

Watch out for a scolding from many here, including Gary.
      Not allowed to mention competitors.
      Now I will be the one who gets blasted for saying this, even though I am not the one who posted the interview !
      Wait for it

But, in fairness, Gary has known about this potential drought for weeks ! Months !
      He was concerned about it way before the furry channel

17. Nate June 8, 2018 at 3:48 pm - Reply

Sucks for the lawn mowing guys, I guess they will have to sell steak knifes, vacuums or something door-to-door

18. f00dl3 June 8, 2018 at 4:17 pm - Reply

Dear Kansas City,

It’s my fault.

I’ve been drinking 8-10 cups of liquids per day, sometimes 6 cups during a 13 mile run when it’s 90 outside.

Sorry!

• MikeL June 8, 2018 at 6:10 pm - Reply

Have you looked into the long-term health effects of “extreme” exercise? It may be to your benefit to do so…

19. Richard June 8, 2018 at 4:39 pm - Reply

Mandatory rationing of water coming soon ?
    Never have seen it here
    But the Aquifer….what is the scoop on it. Rockdoc ?

• Tdogg June 8, 2018 at 5:08 pm - Reply

Don’t worry Dick

• Richard June 8, 2018 at 6:51 pm - Reply

Not worried at all.
        Actually family and friends call me Dick. Richard was my Uncles name, and he also went by Dick.
        You are not family or friend. But I know you are trying to get a rise out of me. Ain’t gonna happen.
        Have a good one dogg

20. Mr. Pete June 8, 2018 at 8:55 pm - Reply

Hi everyone. Will it be more windy tomorrow or Sunday? Was thinking about doing some sailing up at Lake Perry. I can’t tell from the forecasts.

21. Doug June 8, 2018 at 9:24 pm - Reply

Looks like good line of storms moving this way (if they hold together) up in NW Nebraska. Fingers crossed!

22. heavysnow June 8, 2018 at 10:45 pm - Reply

Tired of no snow in winter plus the summer heat and humidity. I am ready to move elsewhere.

23. Nick June 8, 2018 at 11:54 pm - Reply

Well the past week has been a long one, had a family emergency last Friday night and this past week has felt like a month. We did have nice two to three storm events this week here in St. Joe though, Saturday morning had a heavy wet windy thunderstorm that hit as we were coming home from the hospital. and then the night before last we had collapsing storms that brought alot of strong winds, at around 11 pm here, saw multiple power flashes, and had 3 5 to 6 foot branches down in the yard, and part of my walk to work is blocked by a tree that split and crashed into another tree and then the mess fell on over the sidewalk there. and then later that night there was a nice wet thunderstorm. ( by the way if this is a double post my apologies, I typed this earlier, but it never showed for me, or at least I can’t find it.)

24. Skylar June 9, 2018 at 7:15 am - Reply

You know you’re in a drought when even an outflow boundary can’t cool it off outside…

25. Getmbuck June 9, 2018 at 8:17 am - Reply

Driving south on I35 from Gardner to Ottawa heavy rain and hail. Had to pull over no
    Visibility