Afternoon T-Storms Are Hit & Miss

/Afternoon T-Storms Are Hit & Miss

Afternoon T-Storms Are Hit & Miss

Good late afternoon bloggers,

I did get a few days off, and I am watching these pretty cumulonimbus clouds building up and drifting north.  Many areas will get no rain at all, but if you get underneath one of these you may get an inch of rain. My yard really needs it.

Here was the 3 PM radar:

The little cluster of thunderstorms is being caused by a weak upper level disturbance. There are other disturbances drifting around, an another stronger one may be near by early Friday morning.  I am rooting for the rain, but it may be like rooting for the Royals right now.

Have a great evening.

2018-05-25T08:11:00+00:00May 24th, 2018|General|25 Comments

1. jsquibble May 24, 2018 at 3:37 pm - Reply

i give it 30% chance it reaches the metro. as soon as it hits the loop it will fall apart like usual lol

• Snow Miser May 24, 2018 at 4:02 pm - Reply

Yeah they’re going pretty slow, wouldn’t be surprised if they peter out before getting to KC, even though they’re really close.

• Snow Miser May 24, 2018 at 4:08 pm - Reply

HRRR has them petering out as they get to KC. As usual.

• Snow Miser May 24, 2018 at 4:32 pm - Reply

Aaaand … right on cue, they’re already petering out in the last few radar frames.

2. NoBeachHere May 24, 2018 at 4:18 pm - Reply

Oh please make it here and rain, rain and rain on us. And for the love of our neighbors to the north, bless them with a great drink as well.
    To our storms approaching from the sw

3. j-ox May 24, 2018 at 4:29 pm - Reply

HIT! 0.55″ in my NW Lawrence rain gauge. Whoo-hoo!

• Snow Miser May 24, 2018 at 4:33 pm - Reply

Lucky you!

• Kstater May 24, 2018 at 5:46 pm - Reply

I only got 1/3 of an inch in my gauge near 6th and Kasold

4. Rodney Sherman May 24, 2018 at 4:53 pm - Reply

2.1 inches in Eudora sense last Saturday. About .62 fell just now.

5. Michael Garner May 24, 2018 at 5:24 pm - Reply

Hurricane season starts June 1, so is it really that early for a tropical storm to develope over the weekend? I would almost guess in the 1500’s there were hurricanes and/or tropical storms that developed in mid May or late May, but no one probably knew. Just my two cents. Any chance we get a summer forecast before the official start of summer on June 21? Or will the summer forecast come out after that? Just looking for the best educated guess as to how many heat waves, if any we will have. Any educated guess on how many days we can expect 95 or higher or 100 or higher. Yes I have asked a lot of this forecast but haven’t been given an answer, so this will be my last attempt. Hopefully we get something close normal rain between now and mid July.

• Tim May 24, 2018 at 5:31 pm - Reply

Micheal– the last three years had named storms in may or earlier…this potentially would make it 4 in a row.

• Michael Garner May 24, 2018 at 5:36 pm - Reply

I don’t doubt that I’m just referring to how there seems to be this “extremely early development” news headline. There have been probably years when the first storm didn’t developed until several weeks after the season started. I also know we have technology now that can see these things that even 75 years ago we didn’t have, and it seems like sometimes storms get named that are so far out in the ocean that it doesn’t affect anyone but the fish but will get named really fast to almost prove a point of a high total of named storms.

• Michael Garner May 24, 2018 at 5:38 pm - Reply

My point being, this isn’t the first time a storm has developed early, before the official season started, and May 27th or 28th isn’t that early. If it was April like a few years ago, that’s early.

• Tim May 24, 2018 at 5:44 pm - Reply

I completely agree.. and agree with the assumption of naming storms to ramp up named storm totals. Subtropical storms are named and TD’s and TS’s are getting names based off reaching a minimum threshold and die within 24hrs. In the past these would be tropical waves that simply “flare up”.

• Michael Garner May 24, 2018 at 5:50 pm - Reply

Exactly, good points

• Michael Garner May 24, 2018 at 6:04 pm - Reply

What will be interesting to watch is how long will it take for the waters to cool down. As long as as the ocean has warm spots in certain areas, say the Gulf of Mexico, we will get early development. It takes for ever for the oceans to “cool” down compared to land mass. At least I think that’s what I’ve heard

6. MikeL May 24, 2018 at 5:35 pm - Reply

I had around 0.90 late this afternoon in SW Topeka. Very nice!

7. Adam May 24, 2018 at 5:56 pm - Reply

Why does the EAX radar always seem to be down for maintenance during precipitation events?

8. Fredd32 May 24, 2018 at 6:20 pm - Reply

I just started the grill so I’m sure these storms will reach me in Lee’s Summit lol

• Adam May 24, 2018 at 6:34 pm - Reply

Most likely. You can do it! Lol

• Snow Miser May 24, 2018 at 6:50 pm - Reply

Yeah I think you just un-jinxed the rain, by jinxing your BBQ. I’m starting to have the faintest hope those storms to the south will reach eastern Jackson County.

9. Kurt May 24, 2018 at 8:19 pm - Reply

Nothing here in St Joseph and should be in a severe drought by next week with the mid 90’s for high temps. It’s treakjy hmgettung bad yo here, yards are quickly going dormant and lots of leaves yellow and curling falling off trees. Can’t keep enough water on everything. Lots of dead trees too from last year’s dryness. Just wonder how this will impact corn and beans.

Now 33 percent of average year to date

10. REAL HUMEDUDE May 24, 2018 at 10:16 pm - Reply

Getting hammered guys. 3″ last weekend, now about 2.5″ that just dumped down. Another big round knocking on the door now, going to be another couple inches possibly down here. Wish up north could get this, need it to stop now – we are going to have a bad flood already in Fl. Flood Wrng

11. Kurt May 24, 2018 at 10:26 pm - Reply

So sad, we only got .22 since last Wednesday in one of the wettest weeks of the year. It’s going to be a drought even on a small scale in a small region for the record books. Just wonder how many 100 degree days we’ll have up here.

Also will be interesting to see if we shatter the driest year in record up here.

Yes it sounds dramatic, but it’s happening and it’s coming off last year’s dry pattern, this has been building for over a year now.

12. NoBeachHere May 25, 2018 at 2:56 am - Reply

Interesting looking all the small features right now. This one popped right over the central and east side of the metro. 2 more spins , one west and the other south of that one. Now if we all could get a bit more.
    Really, I’m glad it’s raining.