A Look At Quasi-Permanent Troughs & Ridges

/A Look At Quasi-Permanent Troughs & Ridges

A Look At Quasi-Permanent Troughs & Ridges

The weather is going to heat up today back into the 80s. While the weather is calm I have a couple of videos to share with you. One of them shows the tornado of the year thus far, and fortunately this EF-3 tornado over central Kansas did not produce much damage as it was mostly over open country. And, the second video discusses one of the biggest reasons why we have had the weather we have had this year.

Tornado Video taken by the great photographer Mike Olbinski: From Gerard Jebaily: You better wear a helmet before watching this because it will BLOW…YOUR…MIND! Here is time lapse video of the Tescott/Culver KS tornado that I chased in storm tracker back on May 1st taken by the best storm photographer I know, Mike Olbinski. His work is featured in movies and TV shows all over the world! Make sure you watch it in at least 1080p or 4K if you can!

There has yet to be an EF-4 or stronger tornado this year. I am not sure there has ever been a year without one.  If someone can check on this statistic we would appreciate it. Now, it is only May 22, and Jeff Penner’s birthday. This is one of the biggest dates for tornadoes of the year, and it is very calm today.

This years pattern:  The Quasi-Permanent troughs and ridges are one of the biggest reasons why we have had this years weather experience where you are located.

Have a great day! It will be a warm one. We will look into the holiday weekend forecast on 41 Action News and in the blog tomorrow.

2018-05-23T09:59:09+00:00May 22nd, 2018|General|19 Comments

1. Richard May 22, 2018 at 8:27 am - Reply

Thanks Gary
    I really enjoyed your calming video. You’re quite the teacher.
    Lets hope for a trough to replace that ridge next LRC.

2. Snow Miser May 22, 2018 at 8:43 am - Reply

Thanks for the video, Gary. Does that ridge have anything to do with the regular dry season the west coast experiences this time of year? I’ve been noticing northern California and southern Oregon have been wet lately, so I’m wondering if there’s simply a ridge that’s displaced from its usual spot?

Also, if the ridge stays there all summer will it mean the SW won’t get its usual monsoon season?

• Three7s May 22, 2018 at 9:11 am - Reply

This is key for me because we get quite a bit of monsoon moisture in the summer when we have a SW flow.

• Gary May 22, 2018 at 10:24 am - Reply

Good questions. The season started out very dry in Northern California, and San Francisco still ended up 6” below average for the rainy season. It ended up getting a bit wetter in the second half of the season, but most storms tracked north of Los Angeles. The downtown Los Angeles location had only 4.72” of rain since October 1, one of their driest winters. So, that ridge had an impact. The Monsoon may actually be pretty strong this summer. If an upper high isn’t too powerful over the Four Corners, some good southeast flow will likely create a good monsoon.

3. Richard May 22, 2018 at 10:24 am - Reply

7 years ago today Joplin MO devastating tornado.

4. Richard May 22, 2018 at 10:28 am - Reply

For those with time to read it, I Posted this kast night.
    Very interesting how automation makes for less accurate forecasting sometimes. .

But as Gary said it is complex.

5. Troy Newman May 22, 2018 at 12:31 pm - Reply

Do you think the warm pool of water off Baja is part of the cause of the LRC setting up this way? It seems its shaped kind of like the ridge and instead of being straight up and down from pole to pole its SW to NE oriented just like our ridge.

6. NoBeachHere May 22, 2018 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Great!
    Thank You, explains to me why our storms keep falling apart on our doorsteps.
    Also, great questions above.

So if they are quasi permanent, that means they are not always there or does it mean they exist, just not in the same area?

Again, thank you Gary

And Happy Birthday Jeff!

• Three7s May 22, 2018 at 1:31 pm - Reply

I think they move around little by little, must like “the ridge” moved around last year allowing us to get wet during the spring and summer. The main thing to look for when the new LRC hits is the trough. If we’re near or under a trough, it’s going to be very fun around here.

• Gary May 22, 2018 at 4:06 pm - Reply

They are there pretty much from the moment they form all the way until the new ones develop by early October. Storm systems will develop at times within the ridges and warm ups and dry spells will form within the troughs, so they weaken and strengthen as these systems move through. But, then they are in different locations, shapes, and configurations the next year. Now, this likely barely makes sense as I read through it. Small scale features are also related and can be somewhat predictable.

7. Snow Miser May 22, 2018 at 1:50 pm - Reply

If anybody doesn’t want to worry about drought, you can move here:
    😀

• NoBeachHere May 22, 2018 at 2:27 pm - Reply

Oh yea!
      Good Find Snow Miser

• Snow Miser May 22, 2018 at 3:23 pm - Reply

Just think – in a place like that, a drought is if you “only” get 200 inches of rain a year! 100 inches would be a catastrophic drought!

8. Michael Garner May 22, 2018 at 5:33 pm - Reply

Michael Garner May 16, 2018 at 8:48 pm – Reply
    “Amazing to see such a temperature forecast difference between Gary and another station. Next Wednesday current forecast from Gary 77, another station 90. That’s a big difference. I’ll take 77, so Gary you better be right… it doesn’t matter, I’ll still put your forecast ahead of the other guys.”

Ouch, I was hoping the 77 temp forecast would come true, guess not. I know, I know, predicting the future isn’t easy and I agree, just surprised to see such a big difference in the forecasted temp for tomorrow made last week, and that the other guy that’s seems to be more wrong then not, to be more right in his prediction last week. O well, it’s all good still watch Gary more than any other local guys/gals.
    Will a summer forecast come out soon? Just curious

• Richard May 22, 2018 at 7:03 pm - Reply

Yeah I noticed last week that kshb had a string of 70’s for this week. I was cool with that.
      Then a day or two later the 70’s were replaced by mid-upper 80’s for this week.
      I did a double-take wondering what happened to those 70’s 😊
      ( I did not watch anyone elses forecast )….it gets to be too much. I stick with kshb !

• JoeK May 22, 2018 at 8:36 pm - Reply

ummm…no you don’t, you are also a JL fan and frequent his blog 😀

• Richard May 22, 2018 at 10:59 pm - Reply

joeK
          Who said anything about JL ?
          But yeah I like the HRRR that he puts out. I comment sometimes.
          I like JL. But GL is better at forecasting. Much better
          Heck, GL and JL are even (colleague) “friends.”
          You must frequent the blog if you know that I go there.
          But I don’t watch that ch or any other for forecasts.

• Gary May 23, 2018 at 12:08 am - Reply

It was in the 70s the first two days of this week. So it already happened.

9. Richard May 22, 2018 at 7:11 pm - Reply

This is the first live up-close, in-town, footage I have seen of the Joplin tornado as it happened.
    Storm-chaser video. Devastating. They were lucky…or smart ? to not get caught up in it !!
    6 minutes