Rainfall Amounts Vary Widely Again

/Rainfall Amounts Vary Widely Again

Rainfall Amounts Vary Widely Again

The official rainfall total will come in at 1.73″ at KCI Airport. This had to have been the highest total in the area, or close to it. If you got underneath one of the thunderstorms, this type of rain fell. But all around the high totals were other areas that got missed bigtime.  Many spots had no rainfall at all yesterday.  Here are two of the extremes:

The weather pattern continues to be a difficult one to describe when it comes to the Kansas City area. This setup for Saturday is quite interesting. Let’s take a look.

The trend on the models is for a solution more like this above. There is a storm coming out of the southwestern United States, and like most of our storm systems in this 2017-2018 LRC this next storm will go through the quasi-permanent ridge that has caused the drought over northwest Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle that stretches out to near KC.  Storm systems go through this ridge and are forced to go through a transition. This causes our weather patterns to be difficult to describe and explain, and is the reason we still have not been able to have any widespread heavy rain events. Oh, there have been a few heavy rain events around KC in the past few weeks, but many of us continue to be way below average on rainfall. And this storm is caught in that transition as well.  It does produce this setup, however, and significant severe weather is possible late Saturday and Saturday night. This storm is directly related to the pattern that produced one of the bigger outbreaks of the LRC year, which begins in October. That outbreak happened 47 days before this weekend.

day3otlk_0730

The Storm Prediction Center has confined the risk to that area northeast of the surface low right now. If this storm was not going through one of those ridges, it would produce a much bigger severe weather risk, but something is still a bit off on this storm system and I really would like to have another day to see how the models are trending.

Today’s Weather Video:

Here we are in Kansas City, right underneath an upper low this morning, and it is dry.  There could have easily been a spinning area of downpours over our area this morning. But there isn’t and the frustrations mount for those of us fascinated by the weather or needing rain on the lawn. It is still fascinating. Watch the video, it will take just a few minutes.

Saturday Graduation Party Forecast:

• Morning:  There is a 30 percent chance of morning thunderstorms. They should be out of here before noon.
  • Afternoon:  There is only a 10 percent chance of afternoon thunderstorms. At this moment it looks good for the afternoon or early evening graduation parties. High: 86°
  • Saturday Night:  Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of thunderstorms. A few may be severe.  The best chance in KC arrives after 10 p.m.

Thank you for spending a few minutes reading the Action Weather Blog featuring Weather2020 and the LRC.  Have a great day!

2018-05-18T11:45:41+00:00 May 17th, 2018|General|30 Comments

1. Snow Miser May 17, 2018 at 7:47 am - Reply

Thanks for the video Gary, I’m as frustrated as you. I got NOTHING last night. Was digging in my yard after work and it’s definitely getting dry here southeast of the stadiums.

2. Michael Casteel May 17, 2018 at 8:05 am - Reply

Wow! Good job KCI! I had a wild mix of rain amounts. I have three different rain gauges around Maryville. With only about five miles by five miles area it amazes me the difference in amounts. I had .09″ on my official NOAA rain gauge .30″ at the office, and .54″ at my house! Crazy. Hail was anywhere from pea to dime size with little wind. Have a great day Bloggers!

3. Troy Newman May 17, 2018 at 8:30 am - Reply

Whenever there is a drought it seems like there is an invisible hand that just pushes back the storms or breaks them apart. I don’t think its unusual it just happens to be over a lot of us this time instead of somewhere else. I wonder what the cause of this ridge is? Is it ocean temperature patterns? There is a pool of warm water off of Baja that either appears to cause this ridge or is the result of it.

4. MikeL May 17, 2018 at 8:49 am - Reply

At my house in SW Topeka I had sprinkles. My weather can be summed up as no snow in winter, no rain in spring.

5. Richard May 17, 2018 at 9:20 am - Reply

Heard you on 810 this a.m. You mentioned Shawnee, but It POURED here in Olathe as well, at least over my neighborhood.
    For about 10 min. Then stopped all of a sudden, not even a sprinkle. It just shut off like turning a faucet off.
    Must have been a fast mover. No idea how much, but it came down hard. Straight down, no wind.

• Richard May 17, 2018 at 9:28 am - Reply

Forgot to mention it was at 9 pm when it rained here

6. terry May 17, 2018 at 9:30 am - Reply

Yeah we had Some sprinkles in WY CO this morning.

7. terry May 17, 2018 at 9:36 am - Reply

I think it all depends on where your at in each County and how dry it is or isn’t in each County. So we cant say its dry Everywhere. Because there green grass around here.WY CO

8. REAL HUMEDUDE May 17, 2018 at 10:51 am - Reply

I got a big rain to the east of the farm, and a big rain to the west of the farm, but woe is me at the actual farm. Got about a 1/10″ last night, but Rich hill must have gotten 1-2″.

9. Weatherby Tom May 17, 2018 at 11:26 am - Reply

Talk about frustrating, I live just south of KCI and got about .10 of rain. I was watching the storm on radar and it was coming right to my door, then at the last second, veered to the east. Hope we all do a little better on Saturday.

• DesertQueen May 17, 2018 at 11:47 am - Reply

Same, but I live just north of Weston. We were watching the hail core about half a mile from our house, I got some great photos of it and the menacing clouds. I think we wound up with about a dozen raindrops.

10. Snow Miser May 17, 2018 at 11:29 am - Reply

When we get a drought around here, do they (the water companies) ever have watering restrictions? I’m a relative newbie around here and haven’t been through a drought yet. Since most of the water around here comes from the Missouri River, which hardly seems to be the kind of water body that would ever be in danger of “running out of water” even during the worst drought, but you never know. Did they ever impose water use restriction during the 2012 drought, for example?

• Screaming Yellow Zonker May 17, 2018 at 12:13 pm - Reply

No. Tree-hugger here, don’t know as much as others but I have been told we are OK on water because of the river. Never known them to impose restrictions…but water in KCMO COSTS an arm and a leg. That’s largely because they’re having to fix the sewers so that feces quit going into the creeks and river during heavy rains.

• Snow Miser May 17, 2018 at 12:23 pm - Reply

Thanks, that’s what I thought. And yeah, I have noticed water is expensive here, certainly compared to where I lived before (Seattle area).

11. Richard May 17, 2018 at 11:42 am - Reply

Hawaii volcano is going to BLOW !
    Reportedly regurgitating 100 lb lava balls now, and new fissures opening up.
    The ash plume went up to 12,000 ft yesterday, now expecting it to go up to 30000 ft

if it blows big do you see it altering the LRC. Or affecting weather here on the mainland ?

• Snow Miser May 17, 2018 at 11:47 am - Reply

Maybe it’ll make this coming winter colder and we can get more snow. 🙂

• Brittany May 17, 2018 at 11:51 am - Reply

I went to Kīlauea on the big island in August 2008 and it was so freaking cool!! At that time it was only spewing steam. Crazy to think it might actually erupt. Hopefully it doesn’t do too much damage.

12. Tim May 17, 2018 at 12:34 pm - Reply

Looking to our southeast– does that precipitation area have a chance of skirting the southern part of the metro this afternoon?

13. Craig May 17, 2018 at 1:04 pm - Reply

Gary, check this out.
    Waterspouts under the steam cloud created by lava hitting the ocean.

14. George May 17, 2018 at 1:15 pm - Reply

Got just under 1/2 inch at my place 87th & Antioch in OP. 10 pm ish or so. Woke me up.

15. Blue Flash May 17, 2018 at 2:51 pm - Reply

Tropical feature persists per GFS in Florida for weekend after next. Looks like the EURO is also picking up on this. Ugh the weather fanatic in me is looking forward to this but the family will not be happy!

16. Supercell May 17, 2018 at 3:08 pm - Reply

Snow Miser had a question if KC enforces water restrictions during drought periods. Sometimes surrounding smaller water districts post voluntary every other day or odd/even water schedules, but the only time I remember KC asking for voluntary water restrictions is the summer of 1980. Even during that horrific drought it was only voluntary. We rarely have enough wide spread drought to affect water supply. Enough water falls in the Missouri river basin to avoid the kind of troubles they have in states that feed from the Colorado like California. Water away!

• Snow Miser May 17, 2018 at 3:32 pm - Reply

Thanks once again. Everyone around here should be thankful we get our water from a big river like the Missouri. In the 27 years I lived in Washington state, water restrictions were common, since most places get their water from reservoirs in the mountains which are dependent on winter snow. If you don’t get much snow in the mountains in the winter, by mid summer you’re likely to get water restrictions, which can put a real damper on your landscaping plans. That experience there is what made me wonder about what happens around here.

17. REAL HUMEDUDE May 17, 2018 at 4:35 pm - Reply

Some cells creeping into the east side of metro……maybe somebody will it the rain lottery and get a nice heavy thundershower that misses out on the other rains

18. Mr. Pete May 17, 2018 at 4:53 pm - Reply

Some towering looking clouds to the south. They are interesting to look at.

19. NoBeachHere May 17, 2018 at 4:55 pm - Reply

Jone just north and one east of me.
    To my eye, it looks as though that spin is retrograding back nw?
    Weather lol

20. Matt May 18, 2018 at 6:20 am - Reply

Upgraded to Slight Risk for Saturday with Enhanced Risk,near by.