Some Big Changes Are Showing Up

/Some Big Changes Are Showing Up

Some Big Changes Are Showing Up

The sun is shining on this Friday morning.  A storm system is approaching. And, the jet stream is showing a major shift to the north in the next few days. This northward shift would finally get winter to move out! It has been a long and cold April so far for many of us, and I have been hearing about it. “Why is it so cold?” is what I keep hearing.  Well, we are about to balance it out just a bit.  This next storm is caught in the change, and KC has been on the edge of the model output precipitation, if you have been paying close attention. Just a slight shift north and then suddenly we would be in the rain shield for Saturday. When you are on the edge of the storm, then it is the hardest area to predict the weather, and KC is likely on the edge of more storm systems than most areas of the world.  It is just a geographical fact of where KC is located, and this storm fits the mold.

This map above shows the latest GFS model from the overnight run. You can see the northern edge near KC. Some of the drought areas to our southwest will likely get a good drink of water, but they will need more. Here is the upper level flow forecast:

The track of this storm shifted a bit north.  This should bring the rain into KC, and create the conditions for our fourth straight bad weather weekend in Kansas City.  So, enjoy today, as it will be a gorgeous Friday.

Kansas City Weather Timeline:

• Today:  Mostly sunny! A gorgeous day with light winds and a high of 64°
  • Tonight:  Increasing clouds with a good chance of rain along and south of I-70 by morning.   Low:  43°
  • Saturday:  Cloudy with a 90% chance of rain south of I-70, and a nearly 0% chance up near the Iowa border. Highs in the upper 40s to lower 50s where its raining.
  • Sunday:  The rain may wrap in from the southeast around the exiting storm and then it will end. High: upper 50s to lower 60s.

I had a flood last night. Yep, I left the bathtub running while I was watching the new Netflix series, episode 1, of Lost In Space. And, disaster. So, I had a flood last night, but I can’t do anything about it now.  It’s time to call the insurance company. Have a great day!

2018-04-22T07:48:26+00:00April 20th, 2018|General|37 Comments

1. DanT April 20, 2018 at 7:28 am - Reply

Wow Gary! How much damage was caused by your flood?

2. Three7s April 20, 2018 at 7:38 am - Reply

Since the 6z GFS run yesterday showing the severe weather outbreak next Friday, every model since has had nothing. Will be interesting to see how much it fluctuates in the next week.

3. Michael Casteel April 20, 2018 at 8:02 am - Reply

Sorry to hear about your flood! That sucks! Hope it cleans up OK. Have a great weekend bloggers!

4. NoSnowflake April 20, 2018 at 8:40 am - Reply

Well, at least one part of Johnson County got some much-needed moisture.

I digress…

Any chance I can view the spring forecast online anywhere?

5. Kathy April 20, 2018 at 8:57 am - Reply

Oh Gary, I can only imagine the yelling match that would occur between my DH if I did something like that, so I hope yours was more understanding and forgiving. Obviously, that episode of Lost in Space must have really been an attention-grabber to make you forget something like that. I am north of I-70 by about 15 miles, so it will be interesting to see if I get nothing, a little, or something measurable this weekend. Could really use something in my rain gauge.

6. Mr. Pete April 20, 2018 at 9:16 am - Reply

What the heck is a “rain shield?” Yep, Gary my kids have “flooded” our home doing the same damn thing. I feel your pain….

Pete

• Three7s April 20, 2018 at 9:21 am - Reply

A rain shield is just a blob of rain really. Like an MCS.

7. Stl78(winon,mn) April 20, 2018 at 9:19 am - Reply

Gary, I’ll Drive down from MN to repair your damage if u make this snow disappear by day’s end! Deal?

8. Rockdoc April 20, 2018 at 9:23 am - Reply

Gary, I was unable to watch the special on spring weather and what your spring forecast is. I see that the Storm Special is loaded up on the web site, however, it is on mute so I cannot listen to it. Clicking on the “speaker” button does nothing. Perhaps someone at the station can take it off mute?

I do hope the mini flood is not as bad as it sounds. This almost sounds like one of those insurance commercials on Tv with the water cascading down the stairs into the hallway or living room….hope this was not the case…..:(

PS….A message for JoeK about Lansing, MI….I responded to your request about what to see/do, and it is posted in yesterday’s blog.

9. REAL HUMEDUDE April 20, 2018 at 9:51 am - Reply

Gary – just pull up your carpets from the tack strip, get some fans and it will dry out. If it was clean water it wont do hardly anything if it gets dried up quickly. If it leaked onto the sheetrock ceiling floor below and leaves a little stain , still no big deal, just killz it and your done. As long as it was wet for really long time it wont mold or anything. I’ve done something similar in my house and its not big deal to cleanup long as its done quickly and water isn’t allowed to sit and mold. No need to get insurance involved unless it was really like 100’s of gallons of water.

10. Hockeynut69 April 20, 2018 at 10:00 am - Reply

I would not wish water or fire damage on anyone. It is a pain to deal with and depending on extent of damage, it can be costly as well. Best of luck getting it taken care of. Time to install a tv in bathroom so you can chill in bath and watch tv, but not too close to the water, electrocution is bad thing. I am hoping for a dry weekend due to six soccer games. During the week would be better please.

11. Richard April 20, 2018 at 10:07 am - Reply

Saw your facebook and then heard you scold Nate for telling it on radio.
    Gary, you already told the world on facebook !
    So 30 min of water running in upstairs bathtub, overflows downstairs ?
    Mess. Big mess

• Richard April 20, 2018 at 10:38 am - Reply

Oh, and your house is up for sale. Hope damage is not too bad.

Hope we do get some rain tomorrow.
      Looks like you still have concerns about drought though, as you saud on the video yesterday.
      I did not see the special last night.

• Alex Pickman April 20, 2018 at 6:51 pm - Reply

I’m sure everything is fine with his house. Probably called in clean up pros and got it taken care of quick and easy. Temporary mess

12. Anonymous April 20, 2018 at 11:30 am - Reply

I’m sure he makes a healthy salary so it won’t be a big deal.

13. Kurt April 20, 2018 at 12:13 pm - Reply

12Z run looks pretty sad for total precip in my area through May 5th, approaching a 4 inch year to date deficit and it will really start growing as we are no into the wetter months. Looks pretty grim unless a front stalls or one of these systems is a direct target on any given area.

14. Roger April 20, 2018 at 1:53 pm - Reply

Oklahoma and Kansas both have not reported a tornado yet this year. Only 4 times in Kansas history has a tornado not occurred by April 30. Oklahoma’s latest date for a tornado is April 26. This is incredible and earth shattering!

• Roger April 20, 2018 at 2:56 pm - Reply

I should say records began in 1950 for these statistics.

15. Lary Gezak April 20, 2018 at 2:51 pm - Reply

Where’d the severe storm setup go for next weekend?

16. Richard April 20, 2018 at 3:26 pm - Reply

Tower collapse yesterday

This from Fox5 Springfield MO facebook page

“With the collapse of the KOZK tower in Fordland, National Weather Service Weather radio in Springfield and surrounding areas will be off-air until further notice. There are several other transmitters across the Ozarks that you may be able to pick up. It may take trial and error with your radio to find a usable channel. However, if you live in Greene, Webster, or Wright counties, no alerts will be received even if you can get another signal. You will still receive wireless emergency alerts on newer smartphones in the event of a Tornado or Flash Flood Warning.”

17. f00dl3 April 20, 2018 at 4:16 pm - Reply

HRRR shows the whole metro, even St. Joe & MO/IA border getting a good soaking from thunderstorms. Hope it’s right!

• REAL HUMEDUDE April 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm - Reply

More like cold rain showers IMO, but Amarillo looks like it gets blasted by nice line of storms in a couple of hours. I’m pulling for that entire region, they need a break in a bad way.

• Richard April 20, 2018 at 4:40 pm - Reply

Looks impressive. But….
      there’s always a but for St. Joe.
      Hope it happens for Kurt

• Snow Miser April 20, 2018 at 5:51 pm - Reply

I’m noticing the radar looks nothing like what even the HRRR says the radar *should* look like right now. There’s 2 bands of rain over the Texas panhandle even though the HRRR says those aren’t supposed to be showing up for, like, another 4-5 hours.

• f00dl3 April 20, 2018 at 6:00 pm - Reply

Oh but the HRRR is always the most accurate. Don’t knock on the HRRR!

Seriously though I totally agree – it overdoes convection and convective elements – was bad at this this winter.

18. f00dl3 April 20, 2018 at 6:01 pm - Reply

Amarillo is getting heavy thunderstorms! They need it!

19. Kurt April 20, 2018 at 6:12 pm - Reply

Most forecast only give St Joseph s few hundredths at best and GFS has been consistent last 4 runs that we aren’t turning wet into the first week of May. I really think the drought is going to worsen if we can’t get a pattern shift with gulf moisture.

This northwest flow doesn’t seem to allow anything to come through at least here.

20. Emaw April 20, 2018 at 7:27 pm - Reply

Kurt, I have to correct you on the NW flow, it definitely allows cold and wind to come thru everywhere without fail! Haha hope we all get a soaker tomorrow at least it’s not going to snow.

• Kurt April 20, 2018 at 9:09 pm - Reply

How true cold and windy

21. Emaw April 20, 2018 at 7:28 pm - Reply

We need zonal flow baby!

22. Snow Miser April 20, 2018 at 8:30 pm - Reply

HRRR is now going POOF!

23. Emaw April 20, 2018 at 8:57 pm - Reply

Do I smell Jack Squat in the air?

24. Kurt April 20, 2018 at 9:08 pm - Reply

I was out doing some weeding, weeds thrive no matter how dry and the top two to three inches of soil is like powder, never seen anything like it, and you dig and dig and nothing but dry

25. Kcteach April 20, 2018 at 10:20 pm - Reply

We really enjoyed you coming out to our elementary school today. The kids really enjoyed the story and your sound effect of lightning. Your dog was so sweet. She was very good and performed her tricks even though she was a little nervous. I had a few kids say they want to be meteorologists.

26. Heat Miser April 20, 2018 at 11:22 pm - Reply

A whole buttload of rain heading in to KC

• Richard April 21, 2018 at 11:12 am - Reply