Record Breaking Cold April

/Record Breaking Cold April

Record Breaking Cold April

The wild April weather ride continues.  Take a look at these past 8 days.

The past 8 days in Kansas City:

• Sunday, April 8:  High of 38° with 0.8″ of snow. Huge snowflakes!
  • Monday, April 9:  High of 42°
  • Tuesday, April 10:  High of 61°
  • Wednesday, April 11:  High of 80°
  • Thursday, April 12:  High of 82°
  • Friday, April 13:  High of 83°, severe thunderstorms erupt with hail over parts of the KC metro area. One small Supercell tracked just northwest of downtown
  • Saturday, April 14:  High of 52° at midnight, and then SNOW!
  • Sunday, April 15:  Snow, a dusting….Record shattering high of 31°, 10 degrees below the previous record coldest high temperature of 41° in 1993.

And, then this morning we broke the record low, but at least the sun is coming out.  This mornings low broke the record by at least 2 degrees. The low was 26° as of 6:55 AM.

Look at the surface forecast valid at 7 PM Tuesday.  There will be a strong dry line tracking into western Oklahoma, separating very dry air with dew points in the single digits from a humid air mass surging north across Oklahoma with dew points near 60°.  Conditions are not favorable for thunderstorms, however, with this compact storm moving out into the plains.  Snow will be developing north of KC however. This second map, below, shows the cyclone moving over the Mississippi River by Wednesday morning with some heavy snow developing over Iowa.

After this moves by, we can look ahead to the next storm, this weekend.  The models are all over the place on the weekend storm.  We just had three days of severe weather tracking from the plains into the east coast last night.  For Kansas City, we continue to be on this rather wild April ride from snow to 80s back to snow again.

Thank you for sharing in this weather experience featuring Weather2020 and the LRC.  We continue to have a great weather discussion on the blog over at Weather2020. Read everyones comments and join in the conversation if you would like. Have a great start to the week.

2018-04-17T17:41:00+00:00 April 16th, 2018|General|43 Comments

1. Three7s April 16, 2018 at 7:35 am - Reply

After this weekend’s storm goes by, looks like the temperatures really warm up after that. Can’t wait!

• KS Jones April 16, 2018 at 8:35 am - Reply

The average high temperature in KC on April 16th is 66° and the low is 44°. The 7-day forecast from the NWS shows only one of those days (Tuesday) will be near average and the rest will be well below. They predict your high temperature will be only 55° next Saturday.

2. VERNON T. TAGGERT April 16, 2018 at 7:35 am - Reply

Gary, has been fun. 4 Sundays in a row?

3. Snow Miser April 16, 2018 at 7:43 am - Reply

What does the LRC say about this coming weekend’s storm? It would be really nice to get some rain, I missed out on the storms that went through on Friday night.

4. Mr. Pete April 16, 2018 at 8:13 am - Reply

What’s the forecast for this weekend? Cold and snow again?

• Three7s April 16, 2018 at 8:29 am - Reply

I would imagine rain with highs in the 50s, then a major warm up next week.

5. REAL HUMEDUDE April 16, 2018 at 8:55 am - Reply

My daughter turns 4 Sunday, I need decent weather so we can have some outdoor activities for the kids. I guess I know how this will play out, Saturday rain with Sunday being the post frontal day with cool weather and north wind, yuck.
    Yesterday was the nastiest mid-April day I have ever lived, it was more like February really. Worked outside almost all day finishing fence in that nasty wind, with random snowflakes falling down. This LRC is nastiest pattern EVER. Still can’t fish, this is Spring is BOGUS

6. DanT April 16, 2018 at 9:18 am - Reply

Look at the first 16 days of April and you would think we had a long, cold and snowy winter. Watching this Saturday closely as I’m running in the Garmin Marathon.

7. NoSnowflake April 16, 2018 at 9:36 am - Reply

The W2020 LRC forecast has long held that this coming weekend would be a great one for the big bike ride in MO – I hope it holds.

• Gary April 16, 2018 at 10:03 am - Reply

We changed it two weeks ago. In looking at the March 5th storm, we realized that there was a chance of it not being so nice, so that forecast was updated to “concern”. This storm hasn’t budged. It would have to track farther south for it to be nice Saturday. We are continuing to monitor. And, I have been in touch with the organizer of that event. Two week forecasts should be good for updating a forecast. Let’s see how it lines up. In looking back at the previous cycle, my strong wording of being nice that day should not have been made. I made a mistake, corrected it, and now let’s see what happens.

8. Craig April 16, 2018 at 9:38 am - Reply

Good morning, Gary. Just trying to learn here…
    You state this:
    “There will be a strong dry line tracking into western Oklahoma, separating very dry air with dew points in the single digits from a humid air mass surging north across Oklahoma with dew points near 60°. Conditions are not favorable for thunderstorms, however.”
    Which conditions are missing? Is there a major capping inversion?
    Thanks in advance for the further explanation.

• Gary April 16, 2018 at 10:00 am - Reply

Great question Craig, tough answer!

The best lifting from this storm, the rising air to cause thunderstorm formation, is happening where it is just too cool. It is really tough to explain, but there just is nothing in the usual warm sector to trigger thunderstorms. The moisture near the dry line appears it is just way too shallow, and it isn’t enough.

• Craig April 16, 2018 at 10:33 am - Reply

Thanks, Gary. Great to get your feedback!

9. MikeL April 16, 2018 at 9:39 am - Reply

Well, it was so cold yesterday that local politicians had their hands in their OWN pockets!

10. Snowflake April 16, 2018 at 10:42 am - Reply

April 15, 2018 is now the latest ice day (a day on which the temperature remains below freezing all day) ever recorded in Kansas City, surpassing April 9, 1973. It is also the first April ice day since 1975 and only the seventh ever recorded.

• Anonymous by choice April 16, 2018 at 3:45 pm - Reply

11. Jack April 16, 2018 at 11:14 am - Reply

Gary, I have a big weekend coming up on the 26th-27th. There will be many outdoor events at my college and was wondering your thoughts for next weekend. Temps look to be in the 60’s-70’s, but as if right now I have seen some rain in the area. I know it’s a while away and thing will change but could you give me some of your thoughts? Thanks, Gary.

How about that wall cloud over the city on Friday??!! And there was NO tornado warning.

Jack

• REAL HUMEDUDE April 16, 2018 at 11:24 am - Reply

There was only very broad circulation with that storm Friday night, there may have been low clouds but there was no wall cloud per say. There was basically no tornado threat, ergo no Tornado warning for the cell in question. Just because a cell has a hook on radar doesn’t neccessarily mean it’s a dangerous tornadic threat. NWS did a good job there, why issue a tornado warning when there is no threat? They were watching it and the radar never indicated any tight rotation

• Jack April 16, 2018 at 1:12 pm - Reply

There was most definitely a wall cloud. Jeff showed the video on the air and talked about it!

• Screaming Yellow Zonker April 16, 2018 at 5:08 pm - Reply

I agree. At least two meteorologists on 41 said “downtown KC dang near got tornated I tell you what” (Not Gary…I didn’t find any video where he was talking about it) Anyway how did this not get warned? On accounta I was at Crown Center at that very time up on a high floor by a big ol’ window (facing south not toward the BIG OL’ ALMOST TORNADO)

• Gary April 16, 2018 at 8:27 pm - Reply

I posted the video Friday night, and you can see it on my Facebook page. That cell was weakening fast, and spinning out. It was quite impressive. The NWS was wise not to issue a warning on it. If it were just a bit stronger it could have been a very different story.

• Gary April 16, 2018 at 8:25 pm - Reply

A front will likely be stalling with a storm approaching that weekend. Let’s see how it sets up.

GAry

12. REAL HUMEDUDE April 16, 2018 at 1:30 pm - Reply

I’ll have to check that out, so many times you hear about a wall cloud and all it amounted to was scud trash clouds that got somebody worked up.

• Three7s April 16, 2018 at 4:19 pm - Reply

I did see what could be mistaken as a wall cloud go almost right over my house, and I would’ve been in the perfect position for it as the storm missed me barely to my north by a mile or less. It looked ominous for sure, but I saw zero rotation at all.

13. Jason April 16, 2018 at 2:35 pm - Reply

Other than a Tornado outbreak, I can’t think of a worse spring. This is just miserable. Had our annual crawfish boil and grilled oysters straight from Louisiana in 35 degree temps Saturday and 43 degree temps Sunday. Coldest weekend for it in the 10 years my family and Louisiana friends have been hosting. I love cold Winters and snow, but not in April. Will we even have a spring, or will it go straight to 90 degree temps?

14. Anonymous by choice April 16, 2018 at 3:48 pm - Reply

Wow, people sure do bitch about the weather. No wonder they bitch about the mets too.

• Mr. Pete April 16, 2018 at 4:38 pm - Reply

Is this not the place to do it?

15. Kurt April 16, 2018 at 4:13 pm - Reply

Snow is about the only form of precip St. Joseph can get this month, really haven’t had any liquid precip to speak of except at the onset of the snow Saturday afternoon and it still doesn’t look like it snowed or rained any after the snow melted this morning. I’d gladly take a rainy weekend with warmer temps but looks like the brunt of the weekend system is passing off to the south. I really would be interested in what the long term forecast for dry/drought is realistically going to be.

16. Clay April 16, 2018 at 4:26 pm - Reply

Any major storms in the vicinity of Florida panhandle June 9th – 16th?

• JoeK April 16, 2018 at 9:49 pm - Reply

Clay,

Unfortunately, yes. There are 2 systems that will be cycling through. The recent system will come back through and impact the panhandle between June 1 and 4th and then another one that looks to come through between June 6th and 10th. Both have the potential to be very strong systems.

• Anonymous April 16, 2018 at 10:14 pm - Reply

Thank you, Ill keep that in mind and see how it pans out.

17. Stl78(winon,mn) April 16, 2018 at 4:33 pm - Reply

Another winter storm watch for up here are you freaking kidding me. What is going on with this weather pattern?

• Bluetooth April 16, 2018 at 8:12 pm - Reply

STL, I said a long time ago that sunspots were decreasing and that global cooling was in process. Got shot down by many on here, “oh no, they said—it’s global warming.” You are now seeing first hand the results of global cooling. Hopefully we won’t have to revisit another little ice age.

• Spaceotter April 16, 2018 at 9:52 pm - Reply

Exactly what I was thinking Bluetooth.

• ktownmo April 16, 2018 at 9:57 pm - Reply

#GrandSolarMinimum

18. Emaw April 16, 2018 at 5:10 pm - Reply

Gary’s on the 5:00 newscast teasing snow for a 4th straight weekend.

19. Mr. Pete April 16, 2018 at 5:59 pm - Reply

How bad will it be in Des Moines Wednesday? I have to drive up there in the morning for a conference.

• Stl78(winon,mn) April 16, 2018 at 6:09 pm - Reply

As it stands now, Des Moines should b all rain.

• Mr. Pete April 16, 2018 at 7:01 pm - Reply

Thanks!!

20. Richard April 16, 2018 at 6:27 pm - Reply

Royals get yet another postponed game. 4 now
    There is a hole in the roof in the Toronto stadium ! Double header tomorrow.
    Can’t make this stuff up.

• Bluetooth April 16, 2018 at 8:13 pm - Reply

Must be all the snow and warming that is occurring….lol….

21. Curious April 16, 2018 at 10:20 pm - Reply

You always say Kansas City has unpredictable weather. Well, statistically speaking, Nate Silver over at FiveThirtyEight agrees with you. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-city-has-the-most-unpredictable-weather/

22. Dave in LS April 17, 2018 at 12:26 am - Reply

I miss the smell of fresh cut lush green grass, and the smell of bbq on a Sunday with a pleasant 75 degrees. If we can’t get snow during winter then can we get the normal in the spring LOL.