Another Storm, Another Miss Part 3

/Another Storm, Another Miss Part 3

Another Storm, Another Miss Part 3

Good Sunday bloggers,

We are tracking a storm system moving into Missouri and it is missing western Missouri, shock. It is not only missing our area, but it will become a big storm for the Tennessee Valley and New England. So, the beat goes on.

Here is Weather Track Radar from 630 AM Sunday. There is a large area of snow from central Iowa to northeast Missouri. Eastern Kansas and western Missouri will see sprinkles and flurries as the storm system tracks southeast.

SUNDAY NOON: Snow and rain will be occurring in central and eastern Missouri with mostly wet roads as temperatures will be around or above freezing and the snow is falling during the daylight hours in March. Now, that being said, if you are headed east today, be aware of some slick/slushy spots. The heavier snow areas will cause slush on roads.  Eastern Kansas and western Missouri will see some sprinkles and flurries, but another miss.

MONDAY MORNING: The storm system will be intensifying as it moves through the Tennessee Valley. Our area will have lingering low clouds with lows 30°-35°. There may be slick spots in central and eastern Missouri.

MONDAY AFTERNOON: The sun will return as highs climb to around 50°, a nice day. Our little storm system reaches the east coast and is ready to rapidly intensify.

TUESDAY: Wow!  The northeast is experiencing their third large storm in 10 days. This will likely cause more travel delays across the country as the big airports get affected by wind, rain and snow.

SNOWFALL FORECAST: Right now it looks like the heaviest snow will stay offshore of the big cities and affect northern New England the most. Boston still may see 6″-10″ of snow with NYC seeing 1″-2″. A slight track shift and this changes quite a bit. Needless to say, it is another big storm system.

As the storm system churns through the Tennessee valley, it looks to target Kentucky with 6″-10″ of snow.

And, here we are. We sit in Kansas and Missouri where KC receives no snow and northeast Missouri receives a dusting to 2″ of snow.

The weather will be mostly calm through the next week and we will see a major warm up to highs around 70° by Thursday. Our next storm system arrives next weekend, but it is trying to miss us as well. We will have more on this through the week.

Have a great week.

Jeff Penner

2018-03-12T20:34:57+00:00March 11th, 2018|General|24 Comments

1. Stl78(winon,mn) March 11, 2018 at 7:46 am - Reply

70! I cant wait for 40s later this wk. Thx Jeff

2. Rockdoc March 11, 2018 at 8:10 am - Reply

Just checked the 0z run for both the Euro and GFS for next weekend. Saturday is St. Patrick’s Day. Both models show temps in the middle to upper 60s. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it hit 70 or so. As for rain, the GFS shows scattered rain Friday night into early Saturday with clearing thru the morning. The Euro does not show rain in our area. Since it is still 6 days out, things could change.

Kind of chilly this morning here in south PV. Overcast skies. Jeff says temps should be in low to mid 40s today. Maybe a good day to clean up the patio area and get ready for spring.

3. LP March 11, 2018 at 8:37 am - Reply

If by next weekend there’s no cold in the forecast, the winter tires are definitely coming off my car. Bring in spring!

4. Roger March 11, 2018 at 9:37 am - Reply

According to the NWS, Dodge City has only received 0.53″ since October 1st! That’s 161 days folks. They average 20-22″ of moisture per year. In fact, the current streak stands at 155 consecutive days with under 0.10″ of moisture recorded! Their all-time record is 167 days I believe. Also, Nov-Feb is the driest ever recorded for central, south-central, and southwest climate divisions in Kansas. I know some of you are tired of me pulling up these statistics. Well, I’m tired of the continued parched conditions in central and western Kansas! That and the fact of how remarkable this stretch is with no foreseeable end in sight!

• farmermike March 11, 2018 at 11:59 am - Reply

I know what your saying. here in north central kansas its the same too. i think my last measurable rain at the farm was sept-25
      oh sure we have had a couple dustings here but they blow away…..burn bans are the new fear now .. and the wheat that is trying to green up lets just say there is more brown than green…………………………

• Troy Newman March 11, 2018 at 12:12 pm - Reply

Here is a little research I did using my nearest reporting station that has good data over 100 years.

Concordia, KS is all time dry for this LRC starting Oct 7. I picked out the top 10 driest years from Oct 7 to March 10 to see how they turned out. Three of them ended above normal with 7 below. Two of those years (89 and 96) had normal rains from May onward but remained dry until that time. All of the years that saw rains improve did so in mid May or early June and not before. Five of the years were a drought including 1956 which was the driest water year (Oct-Sep) in 120 years. Even though the odds for a dry summer are only 50/50 that is a lot higher than normal when the odds are maybe 1 in 5. Its also been wetter up here with 1.5 inches of moisture when places like Dodge City are stuck at about .15 for the LRC.

1967 36.58
      1977 33.21
      1902 31.82
      1996 26.13
      1989 24.24
      1925 22.66
      1963 22.31
      1922 20.92
      1918 17.14
      1956 12.03

Normal 28 inches

5. Mr. Pete March 11, 2018 at 9:42 am - Reply

Ugh I hate time change day.

6. Rod March 11, 2018 at 9:51 am - Reply

Light to moderate snow & graupel falling in Ashland. Picked up 0.3” of accumulation so fa as of 8:00 AM. I’m getting my birthday weekend snow wish. One other person on here has a birthday as well but don’t know her location & if she is getting in on this. So pretty!!

7. Fred March 11, 2018 at 9:55 am - Reply

Wash, Rinse, Repeat

8. Rod March 11, 2018 at 10:15 am - Reply

Heavy wet snow, giant flakes, half dollar size & bigger falling in Ashland, accumulating very quickly.

9. Carl March 11, 2018 at 10:22 am - Reply

Well over 3″ in Columbia. Biggest snowflakes I’ve ever seen!

10. Stl78(winon,mn) March 11, 2018 at 10:42 am - Reply

Hbd rod! Enjoy!

• Rod March 11, 2018 at 11:31 am - Reply

Thanks sir, up over 1” with moderate snow still falling

11. Rockdoc March 11, 2018 at 10:44 am - Reply

Too bad we can’t post photos here. Would be fun to see those fat, juicy snowflakes.

I personally like the weather stats since they bring added information, context to increasing drought conditions.

12. heavysnow March 11, 2018 at 10:46 am - Reply

I am hoping to see massive snowflakes here in Ballwin, so far just seen some snow showers

13. Lrcfan1 March 11, 2018 at 10:56 am - Reply

With the time change new data comes in an hour later blah blah! 😕

14. heavysnow March 11, 2018 at 11:37 am - Reply

Starting to snow hard and the flakes are getting bigger. Everything has quickly turned white.

15. Stl78(winon,mn) March 11, 2018 at 12:22 pm - Reply

At least its on sun and traffic around manchester and 270 should b light hvysn. Is it coming down hard enough to overcome the warm ground temps?

• heavysnow March 11, 2018 at 12:32 pm - Reply

Ground is slushy, I have 1 inch of snow in Ballwin so far. Moderate Snow falling

16. heavysnow March 11, 2018 at 12:59 pm - Reply

Disappointing, I have 1.25 inches of snow but the really heavy bands have just missed so far. I was really hoping to see some huge snowflakes.

17. Kurt March 11, 2018 at 1:17 pm - Reply

Would be nice to get enough rain to green things up, but still doesn’t look promising through end of month. Really need this to change from I-35 West and north into Missouri and Kansas big time

18. Richard March 11, 2018 at 3:52 pm - Reply

The moving ads above, for previous blogs, are dealing my tablet fits. This page keeps jumping up and down.
    Normally does not do this unless I go back to look ar a previous blog. But they are really zipping by up there.
    Hope it gets fixed for the rest of the week.

19. JoeK March 11, 2018 at 8:09 pm - Reply

well folks, as many of you may remember, I was focused on the 6th through the 12th for our best chance of a more potent system coming through. I would call this a win/loss. A win for the LRC as it materialized and a loss for me as I felt it would have a greater impact on our viewing area. While it did impact the outer edges of our viewing area, I still claim it as a miss on my part. While there is still always a chance of seeing some frozen precip., our winter is basically over and different than before, based on the recent storms behavior, I am beginning to have some concern about a lack of moisture going forward. With that said, I believe we will receive just enough to avoid any type of major drought, it definitely looks to be a more dry year

20. Jayhawkfinalfour March 11, 2018 at 10:43 pm - Reply

Gary, going to Branson next weekend. What are you thoughts on weather for down there while we are there. My weather app on the phone has rain.