Another storm…..Another miss

/Another storm…..Another miss

Another storm…..Another miss

So, here we go again.  I am on this flight back to KC. My orignical flight was at 6:20 AM, and I missed it. It is the first time in my life that I missed a flight, so I am on the next one.  I flew to North Carolina to work with a big company on utilizing the LRC in their business intelligence.  It was a great meeting, and now I am flying back to KC and I will be on the 5, 6, 6:30 and 10 PM newscasts tonight.  Then the KC Pet Telethon is on Sunday from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM:  Click Here To Learn More Then, on Monday I am on a really badly needed vacation. I have been moving at 100 mph for weeks now, and we are heading to Cancun for five days.  Has anyone been there? I am just planning on kicking my feet up and relaxing.

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 8.54.20 AM

It may seem to some I get a lot of vacation, but I get an amount of vacation that I believe everyone should have at a minimum.  So many of us work so much, and work is only one part of life.  Weather is also a hobby for me and many of you, so I am always working in some respects.

Okay, onto our weather forecast.  This is another storm that is going to “do it to us again”.  What do I mean? Only the GFS model had all kinds of precipitation from rain to snow, maybe even a thunderstorm this weekend. Then, only the NAM model had an interesting storm for KC.  In our part of the world, we have not been able to get consistency from the models for any storm this season. No matter which storm we have experienced this winter and last fall, they have not performed/produced in our area anything major; not one time.  The biggest storm that comes to mind is the little ice storm that we had, the first one a couple of weeks ago, and maybe that somewhat unexpected heavy snow band that got our attention for about two hours that one Sunday morning. What storm would you consider our biggest this winter? Seriously, were there any? Was there one that stands out to you?  I know in Amarillo that the answer would be no, because they didn’t have one.

So, here we are, the day or so before this next storm system, and we have a good idea of what will happen…..almost nothing.  Why do we know this? Because part of weather forecasting is obvervational, look outside, intuition.  And, we all know what has happened.  I just looked: It has snowed a trace or more on 18 days this winter.  EIGHTEEN DAYS with a total of 5.8″. What? How is this statistic even possible, but we have lived through it?  The new data is rolling in while I am on this airplane writing this blog. And, at first glance, it looks dry through Saturday.  A twisting band of rain and snow forming over Nebraska and Iowa Saturday night will certainly be monitored closely by many of us, but the chance of another trace snow event is high.

This map above shows how ridiculously close this storm is to being exciting for KC, but we should know better.  Let’s see how this trends. What does this map mean? It means the storm is digging southeast right over Missouri. It really needs to dig into Kansas like it looked like it might yesterday, but nope. It is taking a frustrting path for KC.

Have a great Friday. I will check in later. I hope you get a chance to watch the Pet Telethon and donate to a great cause on Sunday.  Thank you for sharing in this weather experience featuring the LRC. Go over to and join in the convesation.

2018-03-12T20:34:08+00:00 March 9th, 2018|General|42 Comments

1. Three7s March 9, 2018 at 8:47 am - Reply

2. Snow Miser March 9, 2018 at 8:48 am - Reply

Lake Tahoe in the snow one week, Cancun a couple weeks later. Getting quite the variety!

3. Richard March 9, 2018 at 9:02 am - Reply

Jeff filling in on Sports 810 this am sounded nervous talking sports to the guys.
    Just do the weather Jeff. Thats your comfort zone.

Gary your brave going to Cancun during Spring break. But have a good one.

This winter was a big disappointment. But not unexpected. It was in the cards early on.

• Richard March 9, 2018 at 9:06 am - Reply

Yeah my comment was depressing. Sorry. Again.
      And I didn’t mean to sound like I was insulting Jeff. I really like him his blogs and on air forecasts !

4. weatherdancer March 9, 2018 at 9:03 am - Reply

I can totally relate to going 110MPH!!! I am waist deep into the spring musical for the high school I teach at. We are in a new building this year so EVERYTHING has to be figured out–how this works, what that does, where can we store this, etc. Our spring break is this next week and I have a lot to do but desperately need to take some time to chill down. I’ve doubled my blood pressure medicine a few weeks ago and I’m still off the chain. Maybe you can send me some relaxing vibes!!

• Gary March 9, 2018 at 10:56 am - Reply

Yes, many of us need to slow down, take a deep breath, and smell the roses. This is what my trip next week is for. You know I will do some blogs from Cancun, but then the rest of the day is relax! The weather may be a bit interesting down in Cancun. I have never been there, so I will see how these breezes set up, but maybe there will be some cumulus clouds growing over the land areas.

Good luck with the spring musical.

5. Bsmike March 9, 2018 at 9:19 am - Reply

Wife and I are going in 2 months to Aqua Live Cancun. Never been to that resort but I have been to Hard Rock Cancun and it was awesome. You will love it.

• Gary March 9, 2018 at 10:57 am - Reply

We are staying at the JW Marriott.

• Bsmike March 9, 2018 at 12:13 pm - Reply

Nice. Actually I think that is next door to Hard Rock or maybe a couple down from it. The beach is open to anyone so you can walk or 🏃 for miles and see all the other resorts, you just can’t go on there property.

6. REAL HUMEDUDE March 9, 2018 at 9:23 am - Reply

I got 4″ for the Month of February, I know its not KC but to say we have had absolutely nothing is far from true. The late Feb storm didn’t hit KC very hard because the convective trains set up elsewhere, but heck St. Joe got like 8/10″ I believe and many other areas did well just not immediate metro. Watch out for that storm next cycle, that’s going to be a big Severe weather and flood producing system. The NAM is still showing a decent storm here Sat night into early Sunday. I don’t care what GFS models anymore its way off right now, it knows a storm is around the general vicinity and that’s all its good for at the moment. We are forced to nowcast and use the short term models like HRRR to really see what is going to unfold but you have to wait right up until its happening.
    I think most areas from Metro and points east/south will get 1/4″ – 1/3″ by Sunday

7. Michael Casteel March 9, 2018 at 10:07 am - Reply

The biggest snow/storm event in Maryville was X-mas eve morning where I recorded 51/2″ of snow. Other than that been a pretty sad WINTER! Have a safe flight Gary, and enjoy Mexico!

8. Heat Miser March 9, 2018 at 10:21 am - Reply

How about if we assume they will all miss us then, and then we can talk if one looks like it will hit us? It’s better than saying we are in the wrong spot a hundred times. Lets acknowledge we are in the wrong spot and only point out when we are in the right spot for a given storm.

9. Urbanity March 9, 2018 at 10:25 am - Reply

Gary you have tremendous energy, not just physical but mentally (one and the same for the most part), it’s a true gift to have. People who have that great energy maintain it no matter what their circumstances, but at the same time they usually make their lives to be positively influenced by the things around them. I don’t carry that great energy anymore, maybe had it for 30 years, but have phased into something else over the past 10 years (hopefully just a phase). But anyway, just wanted to comment that your light shines pretty bright.

Regarding the weather, NOAA has a big cool down and lots of precip for the southwest in their 6-14 day forecast. That is a big change in their weather, does that mean we could see a change as well in about two weeks?

• Gary March 9, 2018 at 11:01 am - Reply

They will change that forecast, of course they only use the models and don’t even consider the LRC. There is one system that will swing through the western states around days 7-9, so that is likely into that calculation.

Have a great day. And, on my energy, I do have the ability to slow down, and next week I must do it. Then, it will be back to 110 mph the week after.

• Richard March 9, 2018 at 11:16 am - Reply

Where will Sunny weather dog be
        Shes going to get a good rest too. No performing for milkbones for awhile.

10. Snow Miser March 9, 2018 at 10:58 am - Reply

GFS and other models have consistently been showing copious amounts of rainfall for California, particularly in the north:

11. Lary Gezak March 9, 2018 at 1:33 pm - Reply

Look towards next Saturday. The GFS has been showing near 70s with a big band of rain. First severe weather event of the season?

• Richard March 9, 2018 at 2:04 pm - Reply

Hope not.
      Next Saturday is St Patricks Day. Big parade

12. f00dl3 March 9, 2018 at 1:53 pm - Reply

We really need rain here in KC. Grass fires getting bad. Listening to the scanner we’ve been having 2-3 brush fires / day this week.

• Roger March 9, 2018 at 8:19 pm - Reply

There is going to be another critical fire threat for central and western Kansas next weekend.

13. Richard March 9, 2018 at 3:08 pm - Reply

I just heard on radio be careful in Cancun. Especially if you want to go into town.
    Tourists are at risk of being robbed of phones, money, etc or even kidnapped.
    . A guy on radio said he and his wife were there last year, and the hotel advised them.
    So stay on resort property to be safe.

14. Fred Nolan March 9, 2018 at 3:16 pm - Reply
    • Richard March 9, 2018 at 3:36 pm - Reply

Yep. Looks serious.

From that link :
      “The U.S. State Department earlier this year put Mexico on a “Level 2: Exercise increased caution” alert status due to crime. It warns that some areas are experiencing violent crime such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery.

U.S. government employees are not allowed to travel between cities after dark in many parts of Mexico.

The State Department has already advised travelers to avoid five states in Mexico due to crime. They are Colima, Guerrero, Michoacan, Sinaloa, and Tamaulipas. Alcapulco is located in Guerrero.”

15. Urbanity March 9, 2018 at 3:52 pm - Reply

Open forum Friday? Let’s look at another wind farm study from China. Big study, great importance.

[PDF]The Observed Impacts of Wind Farms on Local Vegetation … – MDPI

16. Anonymous by choice March 9, 2018 at 4:12 pm - Reply

If you travel to a third world country, one tends to get what one asks for. Mexico is a s*^$hole.

• Gary March 9, 2018 at 6:21 pm - Reply

Yeah, I have never liked Cabo, but I just need a beach, a pool, and I will try to stay on the resort.

17. Troy March 9, 2018 at 4:15 pm - Reply

I think this winter was memorable for me. My kids got to enjoy snow several times and did a lot of sledding. I like to see that as I was their age in the late 70s early 80s when we had some really memorable winters. No big storms but a white Christmas, 14″ total snow with as much as 8″ in one week in early Feb. We also had enough ice to fish on from Jan 1 to Feb 15 which is a good year here. I know its been a lot more disappointing for some of you so I cannot complain. The only disappointment is that total moisture was low but if we are going to have a drought I vote for having it in the winter. Corn, beans and cattle are what people depend on around here and dry winters and wet summers are a benefit. Of course I have no idea what this summer will bring.

• Richard March 9, 2018 at 7:00 pm - Reply

14″ ??
      Where are you

• Troy March 9, 2018 at 8:47 pm - Reply

NW Republic County. Its hard to believe we actually had that much because we never got more than 3.5 in one snow but I measured it and wrote it down.
        In early Feb we had a week where we had 3″, 2″, and 3.5″ in less than a week and actually had a good amount of snow cover. I don’t think Concordia which is 35 miles away had half that much.

18. REAL HUMEDUDE March 9, 2018 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Sunday storm looking worse and worse……looking like Gary was probably right about the miss. Maybe some light rain tomorrow night. This cycle sucks, thought It might pan out better than this. Next cycle will light it up though

19. Andrew March 9, 2018 at 10:28 pm - Reply

I always ready for a vaca,lol! In June I planning to do another long distance Amtrak trip with a sleeper.

Hopefully just like last year the Spring will end up producing some precipitation and we won’t have to worry about drought

20. SnowCommander March 9, 2018 at 11:43 pm - Reply

I use to go to Cancun years ago. It was so modernized then we might as well have gone to Florida. But don’t get me wrong, if you like tons of people, 100’s of resorts, Americanized food, and are around 21 years of age, this place is for you. 10 years ago, I just used that runway to jump over to Cozumel, it’s now exploded to the same environment as Cancun. To each there own. You might love it there. Have fun Gary.

Like to know what you think of the place once you return.

21. Richard March 10, 2018 at 10:31 am - Reply

Rain tonight or not ?
    What’s next Saturday looking like. St Patricks Day

22. f00dl3 March 10, 2018 at 11:54 am - Reply

Next cycle will always be better eh? Broken record.

23. Tdogg March 10, 2018 at 12:41 pm - Reply

Plenty of time for one monster snow!

24. Rockdoc March 10, 2018 at 12:46 pm - Reply

Good Saturday Afternoon Gary and Friends. Wow, looks like the model run that I blogged about ~1 week ago for St Patrick’s Day just may verify. Looking nice for the day of the Irish. Hoping any moisture that may come will either be before or after, but temps looking good. Hope you have a great time in Cancun. This is so very sad what is going on down there. I used to travel there around the Yucatan quite a bit and drive all over. I usually stayed in Playa del Carmen but also stayed in other towns near the ruins so I could spend some time there or dive over in Cozumel. I traveled solo and never had any issues, although it did help that I know Spanish. It would appear that the main threat is with the ferry boats between Playa and Cozumel. Don’t know if there are issues with boats going over to Isla Mujeres. Don’t be freaked out if you see soldiers patrolling the beaches either. They do this to keep it safe. Playa is well worth the trip during the day…..lots of cool little shops.

From my experience, you can go to other resorts to get drinks and food. You can also use the beach in front. The beaches are public. You will just need to pay in cash or use a credit card for food/drink or use of umbrella/chairs. I always carried a small amount of cash/debit card in a water-proof case with seal that hangs around my neck so I can go into the water and not leave it on the beach. One other tip. Take a copy of your passport and drivers license and keep them in a separate place.

If it were me, I’d get one of those loadable credit cards with Visa/Master Card logo and use this to make any purchases and don’t use your personal card. Also check to make sure they can be used out of country and what the fee for foreign transactions are. Usually about 3%. If you use your own card down there, check your statements daily for about two months afterwards and watch for any suspicious charges. This happened to me several years ago after a trip down to the Dutch ABC islands – I caught it within 24 hours and Mazuma Credit Union put the money back into my account right away.

Have a great trip and don’t get too sunburned! Have a margarita or two for me 🙂

• Richard March 10, 2018 at 2:26 pm - Reply

Excellent advice about the credit card ! And yes, GARY, take copies of passport/drivers license keep in separate place.
      Too long of a story but I have a friend who had a bad experience too.

I hope Gary sees your post and takes that advice.

25. Roger March 10, 2018 at 12:49 pm - Reply

Topsoil: 76% short or very short
    Wheat: 50% poor to very poor

26. Rod March 10, 2018 at 1:23 pm - Reply

I will be watching the radar & short term model trends as a band of 1-3” of snow will be just 2 counties east/northeast of my local area near Columbia. Will only take a slight shift west to get a little accumulating snow in Boone County. Winter isn’t over yet & feel like there will be opportunities for more snow in the next two weeks with up & down temperatures.

Rod, Ashland, MO

27. Stl78(winon,mn) March 10, 2018 at 1:30 pm - Reply

Ice is thawing in some places and creates a great opportunity to eagle watch around here. I uploaded a recent pic of bald and golden eagles to my gravatar. There were about 50 or so and im sure its hard to tell in the small pic but it was very cool to see so many in one place!

• Richard March 10, 2018 at 2:28 pm - Reply

Wish we had like buttons on here !
      Thats cool Stl !