How Is The Block Influencing This Weather Pattern Now

/How Is The Block Influencing This Weather Pattern Now

How Is The Block Influencing This Weather Pattern Now

We are now experiencing the fourth cycle of this years weather pattern. The pattern began back in October and it will continue through the rest of winter, spring, and summer before a new and unique pattern sets up next fall.  The uniqueness to this pattern is quite obvious in many ways, one of the biggest being what has happened in Amarillo, TX.  They have had 0.01″ of measurable precipitation since October 13th, or 143 days of practically nothing.  If Amarillo is near the center of “nothingness” when it comes to experiencing precipitation, then Kansas City is close to this epicenter of the lack of weather excitement. This continues today even though there is a big blocking high that is reaching peak strength now. It is having a major influence on the pattern.  The storm, that I am experiencing on my #Snowchase2018 in Lake Tahoe, is being significantly influenced by the block. If you just draw a straight line from the Upper High to the Upper Low approaching the west coast today, you can see the influence.  Also, directly underneath this block is a powerful storm forming near the New England coast. Take a look at this weather pattern as of noon today:

LRC Cycle 4 March 2 Block

The weather from Amarillo, TX to Kansas City, MO is having barely any noticeable affects from this block. For those of us living near KC our frustrations continue with this pattern. IF there was a time for something different to happen, now would have been that time, but this next west coast system will track north of KC once again leaving us in the dust.

Here is the surface forecast map valid at noon today (1 PM eastern time0:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_2

The upper high, the block, has forced this storm to be more powerful, and the block has helped myself experience this yesterday.

I did actually get stuck about 15 minutes before I wisely got in line behind this snow plow. We were stopped for 15 minutes and I worried that they were going to close the road.  This is the Mount Rose Highway that reaches 8,911 feet.  About 15 minutes earlier I pulled over to take a video, and got stuck in 5″ of snow on the shoulder. I was able to wobble my car back and forth and eventually I got out after clearing a little snow.  There was another car stuck on the left in this picture. But, I made it over the ridge and I am now having an incredible experience at Lake Tahoe.  There was a very heavy band of snow falling early this morning, thus is the reason I was up blogging. I just took a walk in the snow, around 1 foot here on the north shore as of 2 AM. I cleared an area to measure how much falls from 3 to around 8 AM when I will head back out there.

Have a great day everyone.  I will be doing another Facebook Live and a Twitter Live sometime this morning. Thank you for sharing in this Action Weather Blog Experience featuring Weather2020 and the LRC. Go over to the Weather2020 blog to join in the conversation.

2018-04-30T08:10:35+00:00March 2nd, 2018|General|26 Comments

1. Alex Pickman March 2, 2018 at 5:12 am - Reply

I envy you right Gary. Glad you made the decision to go out there. Enjoy it!!

2. Three7s March 2, 2018 at 6:06 am - Reply

Yawn

3. LYITC41 March 2, 2018 at 6:20 am - Reply

X2

4. Mr. Pete March 2, 2018 at 7:29 am - Reply

Spring has sprung!

5. REAL HUMEDUDE March 2, 2018 at 7:31 am - Reply

The NAM is looking pretty weak with next storm especially for central KS, GFS is little bit better but I have low confidence in GFS right now. Maybe we will see a better trend today

• Urbanity March 2, 2018 at 10:20 am - Reply

As we leave Groundhog Day period and head into Armadillo Day period, I have this famous quote:

“It’s gonna be hot, it’s gonna be dry, and it’s gonna last you for the rest of your summer”.

6. Richard March 2, 2018 at 8:35 am - Reply

Gloom and doom
    Drought is coming
    Just teasing 😊
    So when will the cool active part of March/cycle 4 be here ?

7. numb3rsguy March 2, 2018 at 9:14 am - Reply

Is the “bomb cyclone” in NE right now that same one from a couple months ago? I remember another bomb cyclone out there and was wondering if it is a multiple of 47 days into the past?

-numb3rsguy

• KS Jones March 2, 2018 at 1:11 pm - Reply

I don’t know how it fits the cycle, but the earlier storm was on January 4th
      A sprawling coastal storm began to batter the East Coast with snow, heavy wind and rain on Friday morning . . . The state’s governor, Charlie Baker, warned Friday’s storm could be more severe than the Jan. 4 storm that brought historic flooding to the city. . . The Jan. 4 storm gained much attention in part because some meteorologists described it as a “bomb cyclone.”

8. Stl78(winon,mn) March 2, 2018 at 9:56 am - Reply

The past few days in the 40s up here have been awesome! Unfortunately we avg about 8 in of snow for march and at this point im over it and ready for spring! I think u guys will have an above avg spring in terms of moisture and i am concerned about river flooding to the south. Very deep frost line up here. In fact we fished lake pepin in wi and still had about 3ft ice depth! Auger almost wasnt long enough. Anywho i hope gary and all of u have a nice wknd!

9. Urbanity March 2, 2018 at 10:40 am - Reply

If Bastardi is correct that this year is remarkably similar to 1962, then it should be noted that the plains had a very wet summer in 1962, Amarillo had one of their highest rain totals ever that summer. Extreme drought and heat was common across the southwest and south Texas.

• Gary March 2, 2018 at 5:18 pm - Reply

Please remember this, as it will likely be way, way off. The best analog year is this one.

• Richard March 2, 2018 at 5:28 pm - Reply

Hey Gary !
        Hows it going
        Did tou go skiing ? How much snow ended up there lake level.

10. Richard March 2, 2018 at 1:20 pm - Reply

So much for those who believed that we would get one decent snow this year.
    Or even one more snow in March.
    “Plenty of time. Winter just started. Plenty of players on the field.”
    Where are those people now.

Really hate going into summer after getting the short end of the stick again.
    Only good thing is fishing coming up !

• Heat MIser March 2, 2018 at 1:46 pm - Reply

Weeell, Richard, here in Lawrence we’ve had numerous storms, both ice and snow. The only thing we didn’t get that I wanted was maybe one big wet snow in March. The whole point is some here always freak early in the winter when a larger snow event doesn’t occur. It’s not that it will occur, the point is early in the winter it’s way too early to throw in the towel…its melodramatic. You’ll certainly note that Gary didn’t do that.

• Richard March 2, 2018 at 2:57 pm - Reply

Agreed. Lawrence somewhat lucked out.
        Seems that happens a lot.

• Richard March 2, 2018 at 3:10 pm - Reply

But wait Heat.
        It is too early to throw in the towel on March
        March just started ! It is only 2 days in. 😄
        We had our biggest snow in March

• Heat MIser March 2, 2018 at 3:54 pm - Reply

True…but ten days out not seeing much coming…still possible though…

• JoeK March 2, 2018 at 5:11 pm - Reply

Richard,

We have 2 chances between the 6th and the 12th. Both should be wet storms, not sure on precipitation type. The storm around the 11th, 12th and 13th certainly has a good chance to have a winter component to it.

• Richard March 2, 2018 at 5:25 pm - Reply

Hope so joe !

11. Anonymous by choice March 2, 2018 at 2:12 pm - Reply

Ridiculous.

12. Richard March 2, 2018 at 2:55 pm - Reply

The east coast is getting hammered with wind, rain
    LaGuardia shut down

And this plane attempting to land at Reagan in DC had to abort the landing

13. Rod March 2, 2018 at 8:08 pm - Reply

The storm around March 11th the day before my birthday per the GFS takes the low right along the MO/AR border a track you would think would put snow across the I-70 corridor but this just shows rain. Will be interesting to watch the models & see if any trends or snow shows up.

14. LP March 2, 2018 at 8:24 pm - Reply

I’m about ready to put the summer tires back on my cars…

15. Heat MIser March 2, 2018 at 9:50 pm - Reply

since the models that far out are usually wrong…maybe that means snow..lol

16. Nick March 3, 2018 at 12:04 am - Reply

jogging home from work tonight, I saw a bright meteor streak down from near the top of the sky down almost to my due north in the sky, and that is with the bright moon in the sky. So I got to see something neat 🙂