The Snow Chase Adventure Begins

/The Snow Chase Adventure Begins

The Snow Chase Adventure Begins

There is a Blizzard Warning for the Lake Tahoe area Thursday. I should be able to get there and to the hotel at the Hyatt before the worst part of the storm hits.  I am due to arrive in Reno at 11:15 AM, rent the car, and head up into Tahoe.  Well, I think this picture says 1,000 words:

WeatherStory1

Here is the forecast from the NWS in Reno for right near where I am staying:

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 9.09.05 PM

I will check in later this afternoon and let you know how this goes. Follow me on Twitter and Facebook. My twitter handle is Glezak and my Facebook is Gary Lezak’s Facebook

Have a great Thursday and go to the Weather2020.com blog and join in the conversation.  Thank you for sharing in this weather experience.

2018-03-02T04:50:32+00:00 February 28th, 2018|General|52 Comments

1. Stl78(winon,mn) February 28, 2018 at 9:31 pm - Reply

Be safe while makin those memories gary!

• Gary February 28, 2018 at 9:36 pm - Reply

I will be, and I am a bit nervous, anxious. I really think I get there right before the bulk of the storm arrives later Thursday. We will see.

• Richard February 28, 2018 at 10:15 pm - Reply

Be safe Gary
        Hope your flight is not delayed leaving here because of the storm. Is it a direct flight to Reno?
        That blizzard graphic above makes me nervous for you.
        Might need to add blizzard/avalanche insurance on the rental car.

2. Heat MIser February 28, 2018 at 9:38 pm - Reply

Awesome Gary…hoping for some live Blizzard Coverage…Lezak Live from Tahoe! LoL Be careful eh?

3. Rod February 28, 2018 at 10:35 pm - Reply

Have a safe trip Gary, I am excited to see a blizzard video. Hope your renting a 4 wheel drive vehicle. The 10-14” snow forecast for Thursday also has me nervous for you. Glad you get to experience this, when my kids get older I will definitely take a last minute trip like this. Winter is my favorite season when we actually get snow storms. Be careful!!

Rod, Ashland, MO

4. Kade February 28, 2018 at 10:56 pm - Reply

I myself have been in park city Utah since Saturday (on business…lucky me)! We have had tons of snow and it is absolutely beautiful…..i woke up this morning around 5 a.m. and had the biggest snowflakes I have ever seen! I forget how beautiful and powdery the snow is out here….norman Rockwell worthy for sure. I head back to k.c. tomorrow…ho-hum! I will be missing a rather large snow system that is due to move in here this weekend. But so blessed to have enjoyed the snow the last 5 days. It is remarkable that even their 39 degrees today does not feel like our neck of the woods at 35. Gary, safe travels!

5. DanT March 1, 2018 at 7:04 am - Reply

Amazing snow forecast for where you we be staying. Have an amazing time there. Excited to see your Facebook Live posts through out the event.

6. Lary Gezak March 1, 2018 at 7:06 am - Reply

Not going to lie… I’m a little jealous. If I ever want to experience a blizzard I might have to storm chase elsewhere…

7. VERNON T. TAGGERT March 1, 2018 at 7:42 am - Reply

what made it not rain yesterday?

• REAL HUMEDUDE March 1, 2018 at 7:56 am - Reply

Main storm energy was way down to the south over Arkansas. I think the models just over did it and nobody caught on to the short term models that were showing zip till it was too late. Should have Been a 30% chance of a shower vs. 90% chance of rain type of forecast. Funny how if that was supposed to be snow people would have lost their minds about the forecast miss, but of we miss rain nobody really notices lol

8. Mike Holm March 1, 2018 at 7:49 am - Reply

I was sitting on the Cornice run at A-Basin during a white out. The only thing I could see was white. Got vertigo and had to wait it out. It was one of the coolest moments in my life—Looking back on it.

9. Jim March 1, 2018 at 7:55 am - Reply

Have fun. We will know what the real problem has been around here if you go there and it ends up snowing less than an inch.

10. Val March 1, 2018 at 8:20 am - Reply

Happy March everyone! Not that I am getting my hopes up for a snowy birthday on March 12th (I totally am), has anyone heard if there is still supposed to be some kind of weather activity March 11th-13th as previously mentioned?

• REAL HUMEDUDE March 1, 2018 at 10:58 am - Reply

There was a storm but it vanished on last GFS run. Decent Storm still looking to impact central KS on Monday with thier first widespread rainfall since the fall. Nothing big, but maybe an ice breaker event to kick off the Spring season. First week of March, right on cue!

• Rod March 1, 2018 at 12:00 pm - Reply

GFS mid day run tries to sneak a little wrap around snow into central & eastern MO around March 6-7th but only 1” or less. Definitely going to see it cooler weather pattern towards the middle or latter part of next week.

• Val March 2, 2018 at 7:31 am - Reply

Thanks for the info!

11. Richard March 1, 2018 at 10:30 am - Reply

Anxious to see, but I’m thinking Gary won’t make it up to Tahoe.
    Roads will already be closed.
    He was going to land at 11 am Pacific time ?

Does anyone have a link to Tahoe conditions ? What is northeast side of the lake called

• REAL HUMEDUDE March 1, 2018 at 10:48 am - Reply

They are used to big snows out there, and since it’s not nearly as mountainous on the eastern side of Tahoe where Gary will be approaching from I have feeling he will make it ok. Esp since the snow is just starting to crank up now. Getting back out might be the issue once all the snow has fallen

Just check out Nevada Dept of Transportation to see the road conditions

• Richard March 1, 2018 at 11:26 am - Reply

Thx Hume

• ginapuff March 1, 2018 at 10:54 am - Reply

Found a link to some highway webcams. Traffic was still moving.

• Richard March 1, 2018 at 11:25 am - Reply

Thx gina
        Thats south Tahoe.
        Don’t know what road from Reno to
        , I think he said Incline Village ? Northeast side of lake
        I’m obsessing ! Lol

12. Anonymous by choice March 1, 2018 at 11:31 am - Reply

Ridiculous.

• Richard March 1, 2018 at 11:41 am - Reply

What is

13. Richard March 1, 2018 at 12:14 pm - Reply

Gary 2 min ago on twitter
    Just now leaving Vegas to Reno ! Snowing in Tahoe

• Richard March 1, 2018 at 12:19 pm - Reply

He won’t land ror another 90 min.
      Then the drive up to Tahoe. He says heavy snow at Tahoe already.
      I think from what I read he needs chains or 4 wheel dr. with snow tires.
      excited for him

• Gary March 1, 2018 at 12:49 pm - Reply

Thank you for keeping track of the epic #snowchase2018 I am on the plane, landing around 1:45 KC time, getting the car and then facing the blizzard. I will make it in there. Follow me on twitter and Facebook and I will update the situation.

14. Larry March 1, 2018 at 12:15 pm - Reply

Link to Cal Trans hiay cams along I-80 and near Lake Tahoe http://dot.ca.gov/d3/cameras.html

15. Snowflake March 1, 2018 at 1:11 pm - Reply

What January storm in Tahoe lines up with this one, per Gary’s theory?

What about November/December?

16. Roger March 1, 2018 at 1:57 pm - Reply

I don’t see any precipitation that gets me excited for central and western Kansas Sunday night. Most of the energy heads north and the thicker moisture won’t be pulled up in time for anything more than widely scattered showers (maybe isolated thunder?). Many more locations will be missed than hit. After that northwest flow kicks in for the next 2 weeks. Drought will worsen.

17. Richard March 1, 2018 at 2:34 pm - Reply

Gary just posted on fb live. Standing on side of road next to his car 4 wheel drive snow tires
    Rosemont pass highway.
    Snowing and very windy

18. Snow Miser March 1, 2018 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Meanwhile, Detroit is on track for several inches of snow, and parts of England are on track for as much as a foot of snow!

19. REAL HUMEDUDE March 1, 2018 at 2:59 pm - Reply

I saw the drought monitor today, and I just don’t understand how they measure this?
    I see Southern MO is still listed as “abnormally dry” which is a pathetic attempt to describe their actual situation down there. I was in Springfield this week and every field has water sitting somewhere, every stream was bank full, and there is water coming out of their ears down there. It’s Damn near a flood down there, yet classified as abnormally dry? Really?
    Who decides this? They are either grossly incompetent or stupid – not sure which but that monitor needs to reassess what dry means.

• Richard March 1, 2018 at 3:18 pm - Reply

Whqt was the date on that drought monitor ?

• Kurt March 1, 2018 at 3:31 pm - Reply

I think there are numerous factors that go into the drought monitor, it’s not a forecast, it’s an assessment of past conditions. Based on many indicator and observations, not just precipitation. That’s form their website. One factor is percent of normal precip over a period of time. They did improve 1 or 2 categories in only a week, that’s a remarkable turn around for that area that’s had long term, since last summer dryness.

12Z doesn’t looks promising for northwest Missouri into Kansas, really backing off on the next storm. Things will really dry out again with the sun and wind. Too bad we couldn’t have gotten some of the rains down south spread over a wider region.

• REAL HUMEDUDE March 1, 2018 at 6:57 pm - Reply

Well they are totally saturated down there, any rain is going straight into the nearest creek. So any description of the area as “dry” is completely Rediculous
        Their metrics need re-examined

• Kurt March 1, 2018 at 11:14 pm - Reply

You can submit comments to them at an email address. It depends on long term if it remains wet, a 10 day stretch of too much rain may just be temporary like the first two weeks this lrc formed. We’re still below 50 percent since November 1st or worse in many locations.

If you’re frustrated with them send an email?

20. Richard March 1, 2018 at 3:17 pm - Reply

Holy smokes
    Gary just minutes ago looks like mountain pass slow going

• Snow Miser March 1, 2018 at 3:21 pm - Reply

LOL why do I have a feeling Gary might end up regretting this? He’s gonna get stuck at Lake Tahoe for days.

• Mark March 1, 2018 at 4:48 pm - Reply

Looks like traffic is at a standstill. Oh wait, that’s a photo.

21. Snow Miser March 1, 2018 at 3:41 pm - Reply
    • Snow Miser March 1, 2018 at 3:47 pm - Reply

BTW I was just looking at a map. To get to the Hyatt he’s going to have to go off the freeway and take a pretty long stretch of local roads through the mountains. If I-80 is practically devoid of traffic due to too much snow, can you imagine how bad the local roads are going to be? He’s gonna get stuck on the roads, if he can even get on them in the first place.

• Richard March 1, 2018 at 3:51 pm - Reply

He is at the lake now

• Snow Miser March 1, 2018 at 3:56 pm - Reply

Good news. Let’s hope he can get out of there by Sunday.

• Richard March 1, 2018 at 4:25 pm - Reply

Gerard funny guy on air showing Garys live twitter feed, he said “Gary is like a hog in mud right now” 😄

• Mark March 1, 2018 at 4:51 pm - Reply

Imagine doing that in a wagon. Hard to believe anyone survived it.

22. Richard March 1, 2018 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Gary on fb live and twitter showing angry lake Tahoe
    He made it ! He says he got stuck one time on the mount Rose road.
    Go check it out. Insane

23. Weatherman March 1, 2018 at 4:07 pm - Reply

It is with both profound pleasure and a sense of exhilarating anticipation that I can hereby announce to you that today, March 1st, 2018 marks the beginning of the most important time of the year.

Today is the unofficial beginning of Tornado Chasing Season 2018!!

Who: For those of us residing across the largest consecutive prairie grassland in the world: the beautiful and majestic Great Plains of North America.

Why: Every year, as winter comes to an end across the Northern Hemisphere… the Earth begins to tilt back in the direction of the sunlight for those of us residing north of thr equator. The result is a northward shift in jet stream, allowing the perfect conditions for powerful air masses to tap into the warm, moisture rich waters that reside across the Gulf of Mexico. As the Westerlies (weather in the mid-latitudes of the northern hemisphere moves from west to east thanks to the relationship between an unequal distrubution of heat across landmasses, and our revolution around the Sun) continue to bring storm system after storm system across mainland North America, springtime is the time of the year where every 2 – 7 days maritime gulf air masses clash in an unprecedented war between ole man winter and the inevitable seasonal victor: spring.

What then ends up taking place is a kind of atmospheric war of osmosis with each clashing storm system featuring the American Midwest as the battleground epicenter. Such climate conditions create, year after year, completely unique and dynamic weather conditions from March through mid-June that are irreplicable anywhere else in the world.

What: The result of which is the guaranty of the development of frontal boundaries that mark the division between the warring cold and warm air masses. It is along these frontal boundaries that powerful, complex, swiftly evolving, and difficult to predict complexes of strong to severe thunderstorms will routinely develop with each clash of each storm system. Torrentially flooding rain, large hail in excess of an inch in diameter or larger, damaging sustained winds in excess of 58mph or greater and atmospheric conditions ripe to create the most powerful kind of thunderstorm observable in meteorology: a supercell.

Here’s to an active year!

24. VERNON T. TAGGERT March 1, 2018 at 4:37 pm - Reply

Hey I appreciate you guys and Gary, I am in construction and watch closely, I don’t usually comment much, but the last few weeks has been horrendous for planning.

25. Mr. Pete March 1, 2018 at 10:14 pm - Reply

Today is the first day of Spring!