The 8th Snow Event of the Winter

/The 8th Snow Event of the Winter

The 8th Snow Event of the Winter

Good Saturday bloggers,

We are likely going to have our 8th main snow of the season and we officially stand at 5.4″ of snow for the winter. So, right now we are averaging 0.8″ of snow per event and this next event will have a tough time raising the average.

Here is the weather time line for this next event. If you are out and about 6 PM to 9 PM there will be developing slick spots and after 9 PM is when the roads will get more slick.

Now, let’s go through this next small snow event.

SATURDAY 6 PM TO 9 PM: We will see areas of light snow increase with some freezing drizzle to the southeast. The roads will be in decent shape with some slick spots developing.

SATURDAY 9 PM TO MIDNIGHT: The snow will be most likely falling north of I-70 with scattered light snow to the south. Once again, this is not a strong or organized storm system.

SUNDAY MIDNIGHT TO 3 AM: This is the best chance of snow for all of KC, but just like last time we are waiting for a trailing band of snow. The only difference, is we have a better chance of scattered light snow before the band. It won’t take much to get slick with temperatures between 10° and 15°.

SUNDAY 3 AM TO 7 AM: The snow will end and move off to the southeast. Yes, this is one notch away from a non-snow event.

SUNDAY: Any snow areas will be over by 9-10 AM and the sun will return during the afternoon as highs reach the 20s.

SNOWFALL FORECAST:

Based on the new data we are at a dusting to 1″ of snow for most locations.  1″ to 2″ of snow is possible north of highway 36. This data has KCI meeting the seasons snowfall per event average of 0.8″. It may end up less than this.

This is yet again a snow lovers nightmare, but if it is not going to snow, it might as well be warmer. This week we are in for a huge warm up as highs by Valentine’s day should climb to 55°-60°.

Have a great weekend.

Jeff

2018-02-12T08:25:43+00:00 February 10th, 2018|General|187 Comments

1. Matt Maisch February 10, 2018 at 9:50 am - Reply

Here are the last 9 runs of the GFS for the snowfall projection at KCI (beginning 12Z on Thursday). Sure glad we did all the upgrades to this model over the past few years. What a stellar job it has done. The model has done that we almost every “storm” all winter.

6.7
    6.7
    5.3
    3.9
    3.5
    2.8
    2.7
    1.3
    1.0

Not the trend we were looking for.

• RickMcKC February 10, 2018 at 10:03 am - Reply

Totally agree. Something is clearly wrong with the GFS thermodynamic modeling to whiff so badly and consistently on these kinds of “systems.” The reduced-QPF-whiff-over-time is more predictable than the weather.

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 11:16 am - Reply

It’s not a trend…its a model that can’t forecast snow for KC with any accuracy more than a couple days out at best ….everything beyond that can be thrown out.

• Matt Maisch February 10, 2018 at 11:40 am - Reply

Listen, I’m assuming you’ve been following these models for a while now Heat. I have looked at basically every run of the GFS for every snow event in KC for the past 14 years. I can assure you that although the model has struggled mightily this year, it hasn’t always been that way. Just as an example, the Christmas blizzard of 2009 was picked up at -384 hours by the GFS and painted a solution that was very similar on nearly every run with few exceptions all the way to the inception of the storm. You can’t just say that it has no ability to forecast snow for Kansas City. First of all the model has not geographical bias, nor should it.

It has performed very poorly this year, but that isn’t always the rule. You also have to take into consideration that almost none of these storms has been a classic 500 mb upper level system that the computers have an easier time picking up on.

Also, what I posted above, was absolutely a trend.

Matt

• Anonymous by choice February 10, 2018 at 12:16 pm - Reply

2. Mr. Pete February 10, 2018 at 9:50 am - Reply

Gary – the title to yesterday’s blog. Will it verify??

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 10:38 am - Reply

Gary is off today.
      Jeff wrote the blog, as he does every Sat-Sun. And Jeff never answers questions.

3. Mr. Pete February 10, 2018 at 9:52 am - Reply

We really need some rain to wash off all the salt and chemicals the city laid down yesterday.

4. Mr. Pete February 10, 2018 at 9:55 am - Reply

NWS has taken out all references to any accumulation for KC. Only a 50% chance of snow.

• RickMcKC February 10, 2018 at 10:06 am - Reply

Where are you at Pete? I’m up north near I-29 & 64th and my NWS still shows 60% with up to an inch.

• Mr. Pete February 10, 2018 at 10:25 am - Reply

66208 zip

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 11:17 am - Reply

That can’t possibly be…the models show 6 inches a week ago.

5. Freezemiser February 10, 2018 at 10:01 am - Reply

I give up.

• RickMcKC February 10, 2018 at 10:04 am - Reply

Wow – you know winter sucks when the FREEZE bows out!

• Freezemiser February 10, 2018 at 10:11 am - Reply

LOL

At least the blog is entertaining!

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 11:18 am - Reply

You can’t beat me brother.

• Jill February 10, 2018 at 10:13 am - Reply

I’m pulling for you, Freeze!!!!!!

6. Bsmike February 10, 2018 at 10:05 am - Reply

Bs

7. NoBeachHere February 10, 2018 at 10:09 am - Reply

You know tha gnat that keeps flying in your face or that house fly buzzing in and landing on your food, that’s my view of this winter. Bring on Spring!

8. Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 10:10 am - Reply

The winter wx advisory that surrounds kc is comical!

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 10:17 am - Reply

Stl, it’s crazy isn’t it? Here in the tropical, southeastern part of Iowa we are up for another 3 inches of snow….

9. Three7s February 10, 2018 at 10:17 am - Reply

Just another winter in KC, folks.

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 11:19 am - Reply

not typical though.(except for maybe the last few years)..we had a lot of winters since I’ve been here with a lot more snow

10. Michael Garner February 10, 2018 at 10:20 am - Reply

WWA here in Leavenworth already canceled which probably means watch out now.

I know Weather can change fast but when I first went out this morning and was completely clear, sunny and bright, I said to myself “if this was late spring and we were in a tornado watch it would make sense for it to be bright and sunny as it would help with instability but for it to be February with WWA and it is bright and sunny this can’t be a good sign.” Now it is cloudy but still my thinking 2 plus hours ago may have been right, as we are no longer in the WWA.

• Georgie February 10, 2018 at 10:33 am - Reply

The WWA was supposed to expire at 9am like it did. It was for last night and early this morning for the possibility of freezing drizzle. Was never for the snow for late tonight.

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 10:35 am - Reply

Bingo
        So,e people just don’t get it. They never read detaila, they only see the title and make assumptions or comment on titles

• Michael Garner February 10, 2018 at 10:39 am - Reply

Wow Richard you are correct I didn’t get as I didn’t look at the time frame, o great and wise one please forgive

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 10:49 am - Reply

Sorry Michael. Wasn’t ragging on you.
            You bring a lot to the blog.

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 11:20 am - Reply

lol…actually you were kinda ragging on him…that’s why you apologized.

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 11:40 am

touche’

11. Emaw February 10, 2018 at 10:22 am - Reply

This blog entry hints strongly towards the possibility that Jack Squat may be visiting us again tonight.

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 10:35 am - Reply

Must be a relative of bigfoot….

12. Richard February 10, 2018 at 10:29 am - Reply

Jeff
    “8th main snow of the season”

Describe main snow vs snow event

13. Tdogg February 10, 2018 at 10:34 am - Reply

Storm Terry is coming. Its gonna bee one fore that there reckord books!

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 11:21 am - Reply

Troll makes his normal swipe at folks to try to make em feel bad. Check that box.

• Tdogg February 10, 2018 at 11:25 am - Reply

Looks like the pot calling the kettle black Robert!

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 11:46 am - Reply

Hey heat, you called me out yesterday in your exchange with Phillip and I wasn’t even on the blog. Maybe you are a little to sensitive or are you a troll????

14. f00dl3 February 10, 2018 at 10:38 am - Reply

If we have had 8 snow events this season with 5.4″ of snow isn’t 5.4 / 8 = 0.675″ per event?

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 10:42 am - Reply

It’s even less if you believe MT on furry channel. Last night he said this would be the 15th snow event.
      What ??

15. f00dl3 February 10, 2018 at 10:40 am - Reply

(provided we get nothing – which will probably happen)

16. SnowCommander February 10, 2018 at 10:45 am - Reply

Look at the radar returns around Amarillo, TX …….? Getting close!!

17. BIG PAPPA POOF February 10, 2018 at 10:46 am - Reply

Need I say it?

18. Richard February 10, 2018 at 10:47 am - Reply

So, on to that monster for next weekend now ! 😄

19. Richard February 10, 2018 at 10:56 am - Reply

Wow. This is glaring. Check out KC. Most of Kansas for that matter

20. HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 11:26 am - Reply

I’ve always thought of KC as kind of a loser city in some respects…their pro teams always suck, or if they were good they choked in the playoffs every time, Now the lack of snow seems to add to that, like everyone around KC gets big snow, but the big “zero”, or donut hole, is right over KC. Fortunately, the Royals after decades of mediocrity kind of knocked that on its side and did really well for a couple of seasons. Here in Lawrence we’ve had a number of snows, including a three incher, and lots of cold…so it really has been nice for a snow lover. I would like to get one good snow storm though before winter ends…like 5 inches plus. But if not, still better than some of the previous few years.

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 11:38 am - Reply

So the forecast of a dusting is ok with you now. Good to know.
      And good to see an independent paragraph from you. Even though it sort of rags on KC.

• Bobbie February 10, 2018 at 11:42 am - Reply

He finally added something to the blog

• Weatherman February 10, 2018 at 1:15 pm - Reply

I know right? Usually it’s just him playing his gimmick on here rather than providing common sense and weather knowledge to others on here. It’s part of the reason I rarely post and typically lurk.

Spring is going to be rather wet when the gulf opens up and we have some low level moisture for a change.

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 2:03 pm - Reply

Never said it wasn’t okay dummy…try to pay attention. I said gary thinks this storm is only capable of basically nothing…amazing. Never said that was wrong, just amazing that yet another storm that’s expected to produce something could actually produce nothing.

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 11:48 am - Reply

Heat, I bet the fine people of KC appreciate that comment….

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 2:04 pm - Reply

lol…oh Bluetooth…shh…you troll all the time…save the fake outrage. Actually, I’ve heard some KC folks say they wonder it the city is hexed. LoL

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 2:16 pm - Reply

Hexed is different than what you said. You are the most negative, mean spirited person on this blog. I’ve been on this blog for years. Troll, look in the mirror little robert.

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 4:06 pm - Reply

+1 x 100

• ClassyCat February 10, 2018 at 12:08 pm - Reply

Lost respect for that comment. Kc and the metro is a hidden gem of a place compared to a lot of places in this country. Affordable homes, great schools (yes kc proper can seriously improve), great family place. Yes, it has its problems as most large metropolitan areas do, but I think it’s a great place. I guess we all can’t be in the Taj Mahal of Lawrence.

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 2:05 pm - Reply

lol…no, I agree KC is great is some ways as well…I’m was speaking more in terms of sports and now snow.

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm - Reply

• Mr. Pete February 10, 2018 at 12:12 pm - Reply

Hey Sporting KC won the big one..don’t forget them.

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 2:06 pm - Reply

lol…soccer doesn’t count…nobody cares about soccer…well, most don’t in this country anyway. They do in other countries.

• Bobbie February 10, 2018 at 2:38 pm - Reply

And you like tennis…what town do you actually like?

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 2:57 pm - Reply

Will the real persona behind heatmizer stand up? Heat is probably totally different in person than he is on this blog. The fact that heat likes tennis is a give away. My guess is that heat has a professional or semi professional occupation and uses this blog as an outlet. P
          Also, probable perfectionist tendencies…..

• Val February 10, 2018 at 5:37 pm - Reply

21. Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 11:42 am - Reply

I hope the poof continues. The drive down was terrible and really would rather not endure that again. I do think the 4 yr streak of <3 will end before its all said and done. Now back to the lake. One more day before i head back to the frozen tundra.

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 11:50 am - Reply

Stl, just got done shoveling nearly 300 linear feet of sidewalk- what a work out.

• Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 11:56 am - Reply

U can have it bt! Im ready for some warmth. Unfortunately, i dont see that happening for a couple more months up by me.

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 12:12 pm - Reply

Stl, St Patrick’s day is only 35 days away and I plan to be planting potatoes by then so it needs to warm up. Good luck with the fishing.

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 11:50 am - Reply

How’s the fishimg going

• Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 11:59 am - Reply

Hey richard, not bad. Having a nice kid free wknd with some adult beverages. Fishin has been so so but thats ok. Very enjoyable regardless, thank u sir!

22. SnowCommander February 10, 2018 at 12:18 pm - Reply

It sure looks to me like this approaching system is wrapping up over the Four Corners area and digging farther South than I thought it would. But then again I know nothing about meteorology.
    Just saying……looks interesting?

23. Melanie February 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm - Reply

I would rather have no snow than another dusting to am inch. These little storms are just a nuisance and I’m ready for spring and thunderstorms.

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 2:01 pm - Reply

Not me…still pretty when everything turns white, but roads don’t get bad and not a big deal..not much of a nusance at all.

24. Weatherman February 10, 2018 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Ah yes.. another round of tiny snow accumulations with some 50s and 60s around the corner. Sounds awesome.

25. sedsinkc February 10, 2018 at 1:14 pm - Reply

I’m done with this winter. Tired of repeated bone-numbing cold outbreaks and almost no snow to show for it. Bring on the 70s and green of spring.

• Gary February 10, 2018 at 2:26 pm - Reply

I am just now catching up to the blog. I stayed on the Plaza the past three days, and I just got home. We are thinking about selling the house, and moving possibly to downtown. When I got home I came home to the house not nearly as done as I expected, but patience. And, now patience with this incredibly ridiculous weather pattern we are dealing with. You can be done with this winter! That’s fine, and believe me I understand. These chances can drive many of us nuts. So many chances, and literally very little reward. The small 1 to 2″ events were somewhat fun and I enjoyed them. But, my goodness. And watching radar in the next few hours may prove even more frustrating. The area of precipitation to the south and southeast of KC is growing. It is really a boundary layer precipitation event developing. But, JUST SOUTH OF KC is almost unacceptable. Then, the real storm, can I even call it a storm, tracks well north of KC. And, just like Tuesday’s “miss” we will rely on the southern edge of that system to trail over the KC metro area around 3 to 4 AM. Will it? Just so frustrating. I’m experiencing it. You are experiencing it, and we are experiencing it together. But, I can’t be done with winter, because I get to talk about it every day. It has been fun, exciting, and I hope educational in this blog. But, when we get missed, guess what happens? Emotions run high. So, let’s take a deep breath. Right now 1/2″ would be INCREDIBLE. But, even this is in question.

26. f00dl3 February 10, 2018 at 1:33 pm - Reply

Guys – don’t panic! Like I said earlier Winter just started – March is our snowiest month! Not only that, but a HUGE snowstorm is showing up on the models, and it’s only 10 days away!

• sedsinkc February 10, 2018 at 1:38 pm - Reply

ROFL…sorry, no emojis to properly respond. Good sense of humor you have. Well said.

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 2:00 pm - Reply

LOL…the winter just started was totally valid, too many chicken littles on this blog,,”oh oh, the sky is falling..no snow all winter”. And we have had numerous snow events…just not big storms. The ten days out things…people need to stop wasting time looking at models 7-10 out…meaningless

• Three7s February 10, 2018 at 2:52 pm - Reply

Read what you just said and tell me how “chicken littles” is a valid response. I’m sorry, but that’s going way too far when the “chicken littles” weren’t wrong.

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 3:04 pm - Reply

Well three….let me expound on that. When some on this blog see a snow storm coming seven or ten days out, they get excited..then when it fails to produce, they get very melodramatic, proclaiming the winter is doomed, that we are doomed to no snow for the rest of the winter, all is lost for snow lovers, bring on the spring when it’s only December or January, etc, etc. Get it now?

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 4:00 pm - Reply

Stuff it with the condescending comments Robert Racy.
            Acting superior to everyone on here is getting very old.
            Obnoxious.

• sedsinkc February 10, 2018 at 4:03 pm - Reply

I like snow, but I do not like deep cold with no snow. Since it’s obvious this winter is a dud snow-wise, I want it to end so my favorite season of the year can begin. That’s all. As for me, I’m not one of those who tout every model run 8-10 days out because I know better. But as someone who enjoys watching it snow, this winter has been a pain to endure as chance after chance evaporates or leaves us next to nothing.

• Three7s February 10, 2018 at 4:58 pm - Reply

I don’t get excited about fantasy snows on models because I know what the LRC is going to bring us in this pattern for the winter, though I can’t speak for some others. What I’m saying is that, regardless of what any model says, this winter is a dud when it comes to snow and and there is no way that fact can be argued. I predicted 8.5 inches this winter and mine might be too high. It’s been so long since a true winter storm hit this area, I’m not even sure how one DOES form here anymore.

27. Emaw February 10, 2018 at 1:44 pm - Reply

I second that. 😃

28. Anonymous February 10, 2018 at 1:44 pm - Reply

At least we can pretend there’s a big storm coming for the next 8 days until reality sets in and it falls apart. Buy milk and bread!!!!!

29. Suzq3456 February 10, 2018 at 1:46 pm - Reply

At least we can pretend for 8 days until the reality sets in that it will fall apart. Buy milk and bread!!!!

30. Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 1:48 pm - Reply

But its the euro showing it..lol

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 2:08 pm - Reply

Terry, we know that the models that far out are totally wrong…why are you wasting your time.

• Ryan February 10, 2018 at 2:28 pm - Reply

I would argue they’re just 100 miles off. Shift the snow totals north and the models have hit the bullseye.

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 3:00 pm - Reply

Yes Ryan, but if I had a million dollar I’d be a millionaire, or if a quarterback had only made the pass they would have won the superbowl. The point every single time we bring on models 5, 7, 10 days out that show us getting a snow storm..we don’t.. LoL…so, not exactly sure what you are arguing for…their track record for accuracy when it comes to KC snow is horrific.

• Heavysnow February 10, 2018 at 5:57 pm - Reply

100% chance that they snow forecast for St Louis area will not happen on Feb 20th

31. Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 2:00 pm - Reply

Light glaze here in Clinton mo

32. Tdogg February 10, 2018 at 2:51 pm - Reply

Big storm coming!!! Storm Heat Miser is only 200 hours away! Probably going to be a nuisance storm, lots of nagging and lamenting of almost every model run. It will be a storm that never quite achieves maturity, and therefore is never able to fulfill his dreams….and the storm hates KC…

• Anonymous February 10, 2018 at 2:53 pm - Reply

Good comment

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 2:58 pm - Reply

Yawn….kinda boring I’m thinking.

33. Terry February 10, 2018 at 3:05 pm - Reply

Because I think we are gonna get it pretty good storm sometime before winners over with may not be only 3 or 4″

• Terry February 10, 2018 at 3:05 pm - Reply

That’s supposed to say before Winter time is over

34. Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 3:51 pm - Reply

Moderate earthquake hits south korea

• Anonymous by choice February 10, 2018 at 3:54 pm - Reply

Hope it wasn’t loony tune to the north……..

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 4:15 pm - Reply

A 4.8 earthquake struck South Korea in the region of Pohang, which is along the eastern coast of the peninsula, a little bit more than 100 miles from where the 2018 Winter Olympic Games are being held. There were no immediate reports of damage, however those in the Olympic Village with their cell phones on did get an alert.

35. Emaw February 10, 2018 at 4:41 pm - Reply

Probably how snow lovers feel at this point, especially Gary some days after reading through comments. Just a little levity for you. https://youtu.be/kamDqL-AGzI

36. Rod February 10, 2018 at 4:50 pm - Reply

Just to put into perspective how challenging this weather forecast has been & how perplexing it is to me, the NWS forecast office in St. Louis had a snow map up at about 3 AM this morning that showed 1-2” for Columbia & Jeff city. By mid morning they changed it to around 1” of snow or less, Then early to mid afternoon around 2 o’clock I looked in their map said 1-2” again & now on their evening update their map says less than 1 inch of snow and sleet for Columbia and Jeff city. Literally changed four times in a 13-14 hour time period. The frustration continues, time to look ahead to the late week and next weekend storm tonight‘s events going to be a snooze fest. I would not want to be a meteorologist in this area this winter.

37. Mr. Pete February 10, 2018 at 4:56 pm - Reply

18 days until meteorological spring…..

38. Tdogg February 10, 2018 at 5:13 pm - Reply

Well, well, well…Robert Racy aka Heat Miser has been found on Facebook. You can kick field goals between the gap in his two front teeth. He is a middle aged man (51 and acts 12) that touts a sweet side part hairstyle-l can’t see how he’s single lmao! He is an accountant at the business office at KU too lol. Bluetooth pretty much nailed his job description and there is no way he acts as tough as he tries to on this blog.. Keep it up Robert. Be rude to others and I’ll keep digging. You’ve been found.

• K10K7 February 10, 2018 at 5:49 pm - Reply

Does anyone know the state of Kansas policy on computer usage?

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Oh Muku, I don’t even use Facebook. I think I set up a dummy account many years ago with fake info to use as a sign in. LoL..out troll….quit trying to bully others of on a weather blog…its pathetic. Why Gary hasn’t banned you yet is a mystery to me.

• Tdogg February 10, 2018 at 7:10 pm - Reply

Fake account my a$$! You got busted!

• K10K7 February 10, 2018 at 7:17 pm - Reply

Gary is the man. He doesn’t have to do any of this and two bit critics get old..

Robert, you need to delete your “fake” LinkdIn account as well.

You brought this on yourself, tone it down and stop wasting my tax $ during the day.

• Tdogg February 10, 2018 at 7:24 pm - Reply

Just call his boss. Lmao @ fake linkdin!!

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 7:59 pm - Reply

Heat, is this true?? You work for KU in the business office?

• KingTrump888 February 10, 2018 at 6:12 pm - Reply

Dude, you harass snow lovers on this blog all the time. Just stop.

• Tdogg February 10, 2018 at 7:42 pm - Reply

You harass everyone. Be nice or get called out. And next time take your name out the the log in….big time oops!!!

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 8:13 pm - Reply

+2 – saw it and it’s legit, wow….

• Tdogg February 10, 2018 at 8:38 pm - Reply

pretty good stuff. All 100% true! If he thinks changing his name will help, he’s wrong. He must be scared to even attempt to try to be another name lol.

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 8:48 pm - Reply

He’s mean also on another forum–twitter I think…..

• Tdogg February 10, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Haha I just found him…same “fake” profile pic as his “fake” Facebook profile….shame shame! Liar liar, pants on fire
                #busted

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 8:02 pm - Reply

You are somewhat short tempered and intolerant of differing views…maybe KU has a insensitivity course you could attend… voluntarily or otherwise….

• ClassyCat February 10, 2018 at 6:24 pm - Reply

Lol.

39. Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Wow..just wow…anywho, it is very slick and icy here in clinton mo and still precipitating. Clint, hows it lookin by u? Im right by tightwad, mo.

• HEAT MISER February 10, 2018 at 6:04 pm - Reply

Not a flake yet here….grrrrrr!!!!!!

40. RickMcKC February 10, 2018 at 6:12 pm - Reply

The weather (or lack thereof) is bad enough but the personal sniping on here is even worse.

Looking at the Pleasant Hill radar … looks like the precip (of some form) is moving from south to north which seems odd to me.

• f00dl3 February 10, 2018 at 6:33 pm - Reply

Freezing drizzle as the HRRR yesterday indicated could form as the lift is just not there and we are stuck with low level squeeze

41. Richard February 10, 2018 at 6:12 pm - Reply

Kshb 7 day
    40’s and 50’s !
    No storm next weekend. Gerard said no storms showing up. Just a warmup after tomorrow.
    Bring it !

• Rod February 10, 2018 at 6:55 pm - Reply

NWS, local Columbia news, & Weather Channel showing rain & snow chances Thursday – Saturday for central MO. Maybe it’s dry possibly in KC in the 7 day.

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 7:21 pm - Reply

I was referring to Gerard on air 7 day.
        Showed 40’s-50’s

42. KingTrump888 February 10, 2018 at 6:14 pm - Reply

Wait…no..nothing yet…

43. Kade February 10, 2018 at 6:15 pm - Reply

Car and deck has thin glaze of ice in hillsdale

44. KingTrump888 February 10, 2018 at 6:28 pm - Reply

ohhh…snow headed this way… a large area too

45. MattinLeavenworth February 10, 2018 at 7:02 pm - Reply

We have some precipitation coming down in leavenworth. It’s not really snow it seems more liquid like, but my car says it’s 19 degrees.

• Gary February 10, 2018 at 7:32 pm - Reply

Hey bloggers,

This is just absolutely incredible; Tracking this non-storm for so many days to watch it turn into a freezing drizzle event is just mind blowing. I know we will take more heat. And, we just have to move on. It is difficult to explain. I just tweeted, facebooked, and blogged, right here with you, to explain super-cooled water droplets dominating the ice crystal formation. It could have easily been a dusting of snow event, but not in KC. My goodness. It’s not my fault, but I still feel I need to say sorry bloggers.

• Emaw February 10, 2018 at 7:38 pm - Reply

Gary, you don’t have to say sorry, it’s weather.

• KingTrump888 February 10, 2018 at 7:41 pm - Reply

lol…don’t worry Gary…it’s insane

• Tdogg February 10, 2018 at 8:11 pm - Reply

Changing your name won’t save you now.

#busted

46. Terry February 10, 2018 at 7:04 pm - Reply

Freezing drizzle WY co

47. DaveC February 10, 2018 at 7:15 pm - Reply

I think the weather service is trying to troll Terry right now! lol

• choppy February 10, 2018 at 7:19 pm - Reply

Wow, what a slap in the face to the snow lovers. I’d rather this crap come down as flurries than the freezing mist that’s falling right now.

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 7:23 pm - Reply

Yeah, I was going to post that. You beat me to it DaveC
      Talk about a donut hole !

• Rod February 10, 2018 at 7:24 pm - Reply

That donut hole could be portrayed as a middle finger flipping off the snow lovers to the north. Just unbelievable how this keeps happening. I’m just as frustrated as Terry & other snow enthusiasts as I only have 2.6” of snow for the entire winter near the Columbia Regional Airport.

48. Anonymous February 10, 2018 at 7:27 pm - Reply

ok, now we have a winter advisory here, just a few moments ago there were advisory’s all around the area except through KC.. so I thought that was funny.

49. DaveC February 10, 2018 at 7:27 pm - Reply

now we are under an advisory! Lol

50. Emaw February 10, 2018 at 7:34 pm - Reply

Freezing drizzle in north Olathe as well.

51. choppy February 10, 2018 at 7:44 pm - Reply

So instead of a dusting or so it’s gonna be a skating rink out there? How much of an impact are we talkin with the freezing precip?

• Remembercody February 10, 2018 at 7:48 pm - Reply

Choppy, where are you locates and what are you seeing currently?

• choppy February 10, 2018 at 7:57 pm - Reply

About 4 miles north of Odessa. Light drizzle for the last hour or better out here. Still dry though but at some point it’s gonna add up.

52. Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 7:48 pm - Reply

Its bad down here in tightwad mo

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 7:56 pm - Reply

Be careful…

53. Richard February 10, 2018 at 7:52 pm - Reply

Hey Stl78
    Hope you make it home ok tomorrow ! Gonna be slick here.
    What route do u take. I know it’s not a straight shoot on Interstate. Lotta zig-zaggin’

54. Richard February 10, 2018 at 8:00 pm - Reply
  55. Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 8:07 pm - Reply

Thx bt and Richard! Richard, 71 to 35 to 90

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 8:12 pm - Reply

What an ordeal to get home…

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm - Reply

Careful Stl
      Do you get state DOT text alerts for road conditions.
      I’ve never used them, but hear they r helpful

56. Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 8:09 pm - Reply

There are the smaller hwys of course around clinton

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 8:17 pm - Reply

Smaller meaning lower priority
      I think its supposed to b sunny and above freezing here by tmrrw afternoon.

57. Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 8:24 pm - Reply

Need to leave first thing..7 ish but we’ll just take it slow

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 8:27 pm - Reply

Hopefully the sun will be out and melt what’s on the roads….

• Kurt February 10, 2018 at 8:45 pm - Reply

It’s out of the way, but you might be better heading far west into Kansas, picking up I-35 there, doesn’t look as bad further west. At least right now. My area just south of St Joseph looks to miss another one.

Hope spring gets us good rains.

• Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 8:49 pm - Reply

We will evaluate in the am. Thx for the suggestion kurt!

58. Richard February 10, 2018 at 8:31 pm - Reply

NWS facebook now

Reports of freezing drizzle with some snow mixing in have been coming in across the KC metro & central MO. A light glazing is expected in the KC Metro, with up to one tenth of an inch expected in central MO.

Precipitation is still expected to change over to all snow around or shortly after midnight. 1-3 inches of snow is still forecast, with higher amounts expected along the MO/IA/NE border and less than 1 inch expected for the KC Metro.

Take caution if on the roads tonight!

59. Anonymous February 10, 2018 at 9:01 pm - Reply

just did the splits. at 50, it is an experience that can not be described. can’t wait to feel what Monday will be like

60. L.B February 10, 2018 at 9:03 pm - Reply

Just did the splits! At 50, it is kind of indescribable. Monday should be awesome.

61. Richard February 10, 2018 at 9:05 pm - Reply

At 19 degrees how are we getting frzzng drzzle and NOT snow !??

• Katharidinaus February 10, 2018 at 9:11 pm - Reply

There is not enough lift to reach the layer of colder air higher in the atmosphere (also called the dendritic growth zone) so the water vapor condenses into supercooled water instead of forming ice crystals

62. Weatherfreaker February 10, 2018 at 9:07 pm - Reply

Freezing rain really starting to impact surfaces in Lee’s Summit…

63. KingTrump888 February 10, 2018 at 9:09 pm - Reply

My mom and cousin just drove up from Oklahoma and the they said the whole way it was freezing drizzle….sticking to their windshield constantly….40 mph the whole way up. That’s sucks.

• HeatMIser February 10, 2018 at 9:15 pm - Reply

Opps, messed up my name

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 9:58 pm - Reply

Fake.
        You are not Heat.
        Oops not Opps
        One thing Heat does not do is misspell.
        Another thing, he never ever talks about anything personal, such as family.

Be gone troll

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 9:20 pm - Reply

I certainly don’t want that ice here – it’s snowing here now and that’s ok.

64. Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 9:10 pm - Reply

Warm nose

65. Stl78 February 10, 2018 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Right bt. I have driven through some heavy snowstorms but HATE ice. At least im being responsible and not hitting the beer too heavy. Doin this tom with a hangover isnt ideal.

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 9:28 pm - Reply

Been there, done that. Make sure to get some sleep before you leave.

66. Ross February 10, 2018 at 9:29 pm - Reply

From NWS – Getting reports of numerous cars in the ditch in Miami Co, KS to southern Johnson Co, KS on I-35. If you have to head out use EXTREME caution.

67. Richard February 10, 2018 at 9:30 pm - Reply

Appears we have another troll.
    KingTrump888 and HeatMiser are the same person. But not the real Heat.
    Bcause the real Heat uses Heat Miser ( separated ) , not HeatMiser
    And I doubt the real Heat has a mom and cousin that drove up from OK

Done with these games. We have ice issues. Hope Stl gets home safe

• Bluetooth February 10, 2018 at 9:43 pm - Reply

That’s certainly not his style of posting and the heat miser are indeed separated….

68. Richard February 10, 2018 at 9:38 pm - Reply

JL on air now

WWA for KC until 9 a.m. tomorrow.
    And he mentioned the cars off the roads in Miami/JoCo

• Phillip February 10, 2018 at 11:19 pm - Reply

Only until 3am

69. Kstater February 10, 2018 at 9:40 pm - Reply

Update from Omaha. 2.75 inches fell last night. Snowing again now expecting another inch tonight. I’m so frustrated no snow is falling back at home. It was interesting to see driving up yesterday the cutoff line for snowcover. Just south of St. Joe no snowcover but St. Joe North solid snowcover. We just aren’t in the right spot this year. I’m glad we were able to squeeze out a 3 incher back in December in Lawrence.

70. SomeGuy February 10, 2018 at 9:43 pm - Reply

If you’re feeling motivated to train for the next Winter Olympics, I’ll suggest you find a vacant parking lot in and around Clinton, Mo. freezing mist all day basically. It was the only type of precip I didn’t want to see and never expected either. There were district wrestling tournaments all over the state today with tons of people leaving after a complete glaze…hopefully everyone stays safe! For a moment today I couldn’t help but wonder if the lakes had anything to do with the constant drizzle.

• Anonymous February 11, 2018 at 12:15 am - Reply

My daughter is in between Climax Springs and Camdenton and they had to crawl next door to their house from the neighbors!

71. Emily B. February 10, 2018 at 9:48 pm - Reply

We left Overland Park to head home to Berryton (just SE of Topeka) at just after 7. Went 10-15 mph under the speed limit the entire way because of the freezing drizzle. Windshield was icing up the whole way – thank goodness for the little spot that the defroster could keep clear!

• Richard February 10, 2018 at 10:02 pm - Reply

Thanks Emily
      Glad u made it ok.

72. Lary Gezak February 10, 2018 at 11:51 pm - Reply

Some people on this blog need to go. Many of you forget this is a weather blog, and still feel the need to light into people and “troll.”

Gary, you ought to do something about this because this blog nowadays is bloggers arguing over something completely irrelevant to what this blog should be about. Can’t you all find another place to bicker and let us weather enthusiasts be at peace?!

73. Mr. Pete February 11, 2018 at 12:08 am - Reply

Light snow now accumulating in Prairie Village KS. Freezing mist too.

74. Rod February 11, 2018 at 12:20 am - Reply

Heavy freezing drizzle, ice accumulation adding up between 0.05 – 0.10” in Ashland, MO just after midnight. Also saw out to 240 hour no snow on the GFS or the Canadian in the next 10 days other than maybe a dusting for Northwest and Central Missouri. Maybe since the models don’t show anything maybe this go around we see a significant snow that actually adds up to more than an inch

75. Mr. Pete February 11, 2018 at 12:23 am - Reply

It looks like heat misers account has been hacked.

76. sinpetra February 14, 2018 at 12:42 pm - Reply

MO ~ 0%      IL ~ 0%       KY ~ 0%          TN ~ 0%Coverage of precipitation: NoneWind chill values: 0 to 15 before 11 AM and then 20 to 35 during the afternoon hoursAccumulating snow or ice:  NoWinds:  Winds becoming east and southeast at 5 to 10 mph with gusts to 12 mphWhat impacts are anticipated from the weather?   If snow lingers Sunday night, then watch for slick spotsMy confidence in the forecast verifying: HighIs severe weather expected?