A Hot Beginning To The World Series & The Developing LRC

/A Hot Beginning To The World Series & The Developing LRC

A Hot Beginning To The World Series & The Developing LRC

While it is a colder and windy Tuesday in Kansas City, out west it is a very different story.  It has been a very dry October across Southern California and now they are experiencing record breaking heat on the first day of the World Series. The Series begins tonight in Los Angeles where it will be near 100 degrees as the Dodgers host the Houston Astros in Game 1.

Los Angeles Forecast:

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 7.40.26 AM

This is a record breaker as it will have never been this hot so late in the season in Los Angeles. There is an offshore flow, windy conditions, extreme fire danger, and this is a part of the pattern that will return this winter.   Who are you rooting for? I grew up in Los Angeles as a huge Dodger fan, so you know who I am rooting for!   Now what is going on with this weather pattern. Watch today’s video for an introduction.

Today’s Weather Video: Here is a description of the beginning of this years LRC

Video Blog October 24 from Weather2020 on Vimeo.

Thank you for sharing in this weather experience and let us know if you have any questions.  The conversation has been a great one over on the Weather2020 blog.  Go over there, click on the blog, and join in on the conversation.

2017-10-25T08:08:37+00:00 October 24th, 2017|General|45 Comments

1. Snow Miser October 24, 2017 at 7:49 am - Reply

Go Astros! Would be nice to see Houston win the series after having gone through Harvey a couple months ago.

• Gary October 24, 2017 at 7:52 am - Reply

Snow Miser,

Even as a Dodger fan, I would agree, but hey they got there. Now I still hope the Dodgers win. 104 degrees today, wow!

2. Three7s October 24, 2017 at 8:00 am - Reply

My only real issue with this LRC is the possibility of another 2014-2015 winter. If you all remember that year, it was really cold and we had several storm systems come through, but nothing that hit us dead on. Bill brought up some good points on yesterday’s blog, and I feel like that kind of winter is certainly a possibility. We will definitely get more snow than the last two years, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll get the big snowstorm everyone wants.

• Gary October 24, 2017 at 8:49 am - Reply

As I say day after day, be patient. This pattern is VERY different from 2014-2015. Getting a six inch snowstorm in KC is very difficult if you look at historical records, but getting 4 or 5 inch snowstorms should not be as hard as it has seemed the past three winters. I am not making any conclusions at all, yet. Let’s see how these next three weeks pan out.

3. Urbanity October 24, 2017 at 8:18 am - Reply

Gary, in watching your video I couldn’t quite see the dramatic similarities between the two storm systems you showed as part of the developing pattern. Yes, the pattern was similar over the Midwest, but outside of the Midwest the East looked like it had significantly different atmospheric conditions. So if you were forecasting for Maine would you see the pattern as repeating in that area? (Thinking about it, I guess you wouldn’t necessarily believe it is, just because it’s repeating here doesn’t mean it is doing the same elsewhere…or does it?)

I am rooting for Houston as well, for the Houston people, as most of you know my wife and I have been going down there for her and the people of Houston are just tremendous. There seems to be great unity among all races, very friendly and cordial, you can feel the genuine kindness of the people. I have been very impressed with the people of Houston.

Thanks for your blog!

• Gary October 24, 2017 at 8:52 am - Reply

It always amazes me how many of us can see different things. To me, it is so similar on those two maps, the one from October 7th and the one from October 22nd, and over the entire map, not just in a spot here or there. I see it as dramatic similarities, and you see it otherwise. That is fine. I just looked again, and they are incredibly similar. This could be a sign of a 45 day cycle, and this means we have 30 more days to experience before completely jumping to any conclusions.

There is an Art to the Science. There is an “ART” to weather forecasting that many of my peers have a difficult time with.

• Urbanity October 24, 2017 at 9:32 am - Reply

I looked at that again, I guess I was thinking the low pressure in northern Canada on the 7th was further south, and there was a tighter gradient in the Northeast. I see what your saying. I don’t know if this is accurate, but it seems the troughs are narrow perhaps indicating small scale quick moving storm systems? In order for all of Kansas to get precip in this setup what must happen?

• Gary October 24, 2017 at 10:10 am - Reply

It won’t ever be exactly the same. As Gary England said around ten year ago, “Lezak, I see it, it’s the same, but different”. And, this is not exactly on cycle, it is just showing how a new pattern has set up.

4. Rod October 24, 2017 at 8:30 am - Reply

Just experienced about 15-20 minutes of wild weather in Jefferson City while sitting at my window seat at work facing west. Winds picked up suddenly gusting 40-50 mph & even had a few objects thrown into our windows. Also picked up moderate to heavy wind blown rain in squalls & there are a few limbs down outside my office. WOW!!!

5. Snow Miser October 24, 2017 at 10:57 am - Reply

Snow seems to be creeping back toward KC on Saturday in the last few GFS runs:

• Brad October 24, 2017 at 11:22 am - Reply

Last nights late night run of the Canadian model had some pretty good decent snows around November 1st…

6. Urbanity October 24, 2017 at 11:57 am - Reply

Every time I look at the GFS beyond 6 days Aldo Nova pops into my head, “So forget all that you see, it’s not reality, it’s just a fantasy”.

• terry October 24, 2017 at 1:06 pm - Reply

Then don’t look at it Urbanity Lol and let all the rest of Us!

• Urbanity October 24, 2017 at 2:02 pm - Reply

Terry you’re right, I shouldn’t look at the models, I’ve become way to negative after seeing how the models performed the last two years.

• joe October 24, 2017 at 5:52 pm - Reply

Rightfully so. The reality is the models have been and still are, riddled with errors ( sorry Terry). They have to be taken with a grain of salt until the new LRC sets up. Once we know the new pattern, we can tell when the models may be missing a few marbles and when they are accurate. That is what I love the LRC, it really does give us the upper hand.

7. f00dl3 October 24, 2017 at 12:20 pm - Reply

Hah – we have the “fantasy storms/cold air always 10 days away” in full force….

8. Snow Miser October 24, 2017 at 12:37 pm - Reply

Maybe we should start counting the number of POOF events this year. Start a “POOF-meter.”

• Urbanity October 24, 2017 at 1:28 pm - Reply

All the Poofs might blow up the Poof-meter.

I love this current Fantasy shown by Craig below, southwest ks snowstorm, moving E/NE across Kansas towards KC. That’s got Poof written all over it.

• Anonymous October 24, 2017 at 2:42 pm - Reply

Be careful, you will bring Poof Daddy out.

9. DanT October 24, 2017 at 12:48 pm - Reply

Have to admit I kind of like the beginning to this new pattern as it has been exciting with back to back weekend severe weather events, 4+” of rain so far this month. Still in wait and see mode for the winter months- but enjoying the show so far.

10. Richard October 24, 2017 at 1:44 pm - Reply

I think I picked Nov 3 for the first snowflake contest.
    But was told by a few that it would be too soon. I forget what time of day though,

Gary who is keeping tabs/log on the guesses for that one

11. Richard October 24, 2017 at 1:45 pm - Reply

Speaking of snow. Where has Heat miser been. Hey Heat are you lurking ? Lol

12. REAL HUMEDUDE October 24, 2017 at 1:55 pm - Reply

That’s a monster ULL for Early November if it holds together on next few runs I will buy it but probably a poofer. Even if we miss the snow, that’s NORMAL for this time of year and we can be patient for the next colder cycle to maybe produce some snow. We just need some players on the field and some colder air in play, dont need arctic air to produce snow just 32F will work !

• Richard October 24, 2017 at 7:02 pm - Reply

It seems that monster ULL is because of typhoon Lan out in the Pacific. I posted a link to the story below

13. terry October 24, 2017 at 2:02 pm - Reply

Hey guys where go for the snowflake contests?

14. Mike October 24, 2017 at 2:28 pm - Reply

FYI…The 12z EURO shows snow flakes for this Saturday in the morning

15. Mr. Pete October 24, 2017 at 3:08 pm - Reply

This wind is ridiculous

16. Three7s October 24, 2017 at 6:18 pm - Reply

18z goes POOF on the snow.

17. rred95 October 24, 2017 at 6:31 pm - Reply

last year the models (fantasy storms) had us getting about 80 inches of snow.

18. Richard October 24, 2017 at 6:40 pm - Reply

Gary and bloggers
    Could this be true ?

A massive storm is on the prowl in the Bering Sea, and it’s altering U.S. weather patterns
    Storm that grew from Typhoon Lan alters jet stream

• Richard October 24, 2017 at 6:59 pm - Reply

What I meant was the reason for our cold blast this weekend being due to the typhoon remants.
      Can typhoons in the Pacific alter jet streams affecting us.
      That story came from Forever Chasing facebook page

19. Nick October 24, 2017 at 8:14 pm - Reply

Almost every fall it seems that there is a typhoon in the pacific that is blamed for bumping the jet stream and then causing a dip in the jet over North America, TWC loves talking about this, but the tropical cyclones are so small compared to the storms in the jet stream, it may just be that patterns that dip over NA are also good for recurving typhoons in the Pacific days before, as in past patterns the troughs that were supposed to be caused by the Typhoons, would return in later parts of the pattern without a typhoon.

• Richard October 24, 2017 at 10:32 pm - Reply

Ahh good point Nick
      Yeah I guess one typhoon would not put a permanent “wrinkle” in the jet that would occur over and over
      Good point. Thanks

• Gary October 25, 2017 at 6:50 am - Reply

Exactly-as I explain almost every year, any typhoon is an extremely small part of the overall pattern and is not any cause at all for what happens within the pattern,

20. Kstater October 24, 2017 at 8:49 pm - Reply

Nws added back in 20 percent chance of rain/snow mix Friday night and Saturday here in Lawrence.