All of a Sudden…We Need Rain

/All of a Sudden…We Need Rain

All of a Sudden…We Need Rain

Good Wednesday bloggers,

January to March were quite dry, despite being more active in March (March was 0.44″ above average).  Then, April through August were quite wet, but it was regionally misleading as drought conditions formed all around eastern Kansas and western Missouri.

Here is the latest drought monitor and you can see southern Iowa south to St. Louis and central Kansas are in need of rain.

The worst of the drought is in the northern Plains and northern Rockies.

This is why eastern Kansas and western Missouri are not in drought conditions.  Look at how much rain has occurred between April 1 and August 27 in Kansas City.  This includes the wettest KC August in recorded history. KC was over 11″ above average for these months!

We are now in a 17 day dry spell as the faucet shut off on August 28th.  We are fully into grass seed and fertilizing season and it would be nice to receive free water.  Well, there are chances showing up.

The next chance of rain arrives later Saturday or Saturday night as a cold front approaches from the west.  A warm and humid air mass will be in place.  So, keep an eye to the sky if you are headed to the Sporting KC game.  Hopefully, it will be an after midnight thunderstorm event for Kansas City.

The front will stall Sunday then lift back north as a warm front.  Yes, the Chiefs home opener is Sunday.  Will rain affect tailgating and the game? It looks like during Sunday morning the rain will be in a decreasing phase.  So, we want the thunderstorms to be timed from 1 AM to 8 AM Sunday so that Sporting KC and the Chiefs have dry weather. This is certainly possible, but not set in stone and we will have to update this as we get closer.  The front will likely be north of I-70 Sunday evening and heading north, so after the rain ends Sunday morning, it should be dry the rest of the day.

Have a great day.

Jeff Penner

2017-09-14T07:36:04+00:00 September 13th, 2017|General|14 Comments

1. KS Jones September 13, 2017 at 1:59 pm - Reply

From April through August we received 21.23″ of rain (25 miles north of Manhattan), and our average rainfall is roughly 21.6″ during those five months. We had an excess of rain with nearby flooding in April & May, but it turned drier than normal in June, so the drought monitor shows we are now abnormally dry.
    I got an email from our FSA office this morning that said they are seeking volunteers to record rain, snow & hail data from people in at least each township. That data is then uploaded to cocorahs.org

2. Kurt September 13, 2017 at 3:01 pm - Reply

I don’t get how KS Jones is abnormally dry and St. Joseph isn’t. Must be a function of cooler temps, because we have only had 20.25 inches of rain since January 1st had drier than normal since June here. Will be interesting to see if we can get some rains up here, beans are turning yellow along with numerous trees and I don’t think all are in conjunction with onset of fall yet.

I don’t think our fall colors will be good viewing up here with the dry weather this summer.

• KS Jones September 13, 2017 at 3:55 pm - Reply

I wondered about that (no drought designation for St. Joe) too.

• ClassyCat September 13, 2017 at 5:32 pm - Reply

Kurt, probably told you before and this is just to show the incredible difference and not to rub it in (we actually had some issues from too much rain)….In just July and August in Overland Park, KS at roughly 143rd and Switzer, I had 27.5 inches of rain. It really is amazing to have such a narrow pocket of rain in parts of Kansas and Missouri to be in such contrast with other areas like yours. It would make more sense if I had 27.5 and you had 18.7 in two months, not 27.5 in two months and you only have had 20.25 the entire year. That is crazy. I will have to add up my YTD total, but it’s well north of 35 inches for the year.

3. John September 13, 2017 at 3:48 pm - Reply

Is it my memory incorrect, or is this a bit early still for leaves to start changing color? My burning bushes are starting to turn red and I noticed a maple in the neighborhood has started to turn colors. I have small trees starting to drop leaves as well. Wonder if the inconsistent rains has something to do with it. My grass has started to go dormant too.

• Three7s September 13, 2017 at 3:49 pm - Reply

I noticed a lot of leaves already on the ground in my area. Very interesting.

• Anonymous September 13, 2017 at 4:06 pm - Reply

No, it’s common. It might seem early because it still feels summery temp wise. I usually see the first signs of leaves starting to change in late August.

• Snow Miser September 13, 2017 at 8:45 pm - Reply

When I was living in the Seattle area, there were always some trees (particularly red maples) that started turning color in late August. It’s not because it started getting too cold, as Seattle is still plenty warm that time of year. I eventually figured out it’s because it was dry, since summer is the dry season on the west coast. This didn’t just happen now and then, it happened every year. So, I think the leaves are turning early because of dryness.

4. Waldo Weather September 13, 2017 at 5:00 pm - Reply

Planning on smoking some meat Sunday morning for the game. 🤞🤞

5. Nick September 13, 2017 at 5:05 pm - Reply

I’ve noticed that some trees around here are dropping clumps of leaves( kind of like the clumps that would be torn off by a 40 or 50 mph wind) but they are just dropping one by one almost( I first noticed it back in July).

6. S. P. September 13, 2017 at 10:40 pm - Reply

My Cottonwood started turning rust/yellow at the end of August, right after we had the huge rains around the eclipse where our basement flooded. On my way from KC to Maryville over Labor Day, I kept commenting on all of the Cottonwoods and Lindens along I-29 up were also doing this. As soon as we hit St. Joe and north all were fine. As a matter of fact there are at least 10 Cottonwoods and a couple Lindens in my parents’ yard, no change. I have researched this but can’t find the answer. I don’t think it is lack of rain; maybe too much?

7. SokolZke September 14, 2017 at 6:41 am - Reply
    • Richard September 14, 2017 at 8:50 am - Reply

And why post that on here

8. NoBeachHere September 14, 2017 at 7:25 am - Reply

Nick, squirrels are probably the culprit on that.