Interesting End Of May & Early June Set-Up

/Interesting End Of May & Early June Set-Up

Interesting End Of May & Early June Set-Up

Here is a video of this mornings distant thunderstorms on a tranquil morning.

Tranquil:

1.  free from commotion or tumult; peaceful; quiet; calm:

a tranquil country place.
2.  free from or unaffected by disturbing emotions; unagitated; serene;placid:

Time lapse of quiet morning distant thunderstorms from Weather2020 on Vimeo.

An interesting late May and early June set up exists near Kansas City this week. There is a weak front forecast to develop and stall near our region. At this time of the year you just need a front near by and thunderstorms will be rather likely. The winds converge near the front. It may be weak, but with so much moisture available a few thunderstorms will likely be forming. You can see this front on this forecast map for this afternoon..

This front is forecast to be located over the Kansas/Missouri region with a warm front extending out from a low pressure area near Denver, CO, or rather it is really a stalled front near Kansas City as you can see above.  The models have varying ideas on when thunderstorms will form. A lot of times at this time of the year you do get late afternoon and evening thunderstorms, and you can also get late night and early morning thunderstorms.  We will be monitoring closely. Here is today’s severe weather risk.

This next forecast map shows the thunderstorms near or just south of Kansas City. This is just one model solution. The other models have all kinds of other solutions, but we can certainly see that there is a chance of thunderstorms and if you get under one of these it could produce one or two inches of rain in a short period of time.

We will be monitoring this closely on 41 Action News. Our month long forecast verified quite well.  Here was the forecast from 30 days ago:

It was really quiet and dry during the first 17 days of the month, and then it got stormy and wet in the past two weeks. This is exactly what we forecast would happen as you can see above and below:

We will be doing a month long forecast for June tonight at 10 PM on KSHB.com and 41 Action News.

Have a great evening. I am on the air tonight and we will go in-depth into our weather forecasts to bring you the best weather information available.

2017-06-02T07:15:54+00:00 May 31st, 2017|General|9 Comments

1. Michael Casteel May 31, 2017 at 7:56 am - Reply

Here’s my May totals: I recorded a total of 3.08″ for the whole month. I had nine days with a moisture recording. May 19th was the wettest at 1.00″ and May 26th with a recording of .02″. I know you guys down south got way more than us this month. My guess is 3″ is way low for NW Missouri. If we don’t get much in June, I am worried about July and possible dry run. Corn fires in July up here and we need rain then. Have a great “Hump Day” bloggers,

2. Rockdoc May 31, 2017 at 8:42 am - Reply

Interesting thunderstorm yesterday early evening in downtown Overland Park. There was sunshine, a lot of rain, and yes, there was pea size hail. After the last bit of rain passed by there was a huge rainbow just to the east 🙂 I watched this system come in on radar. It looked a lot worse down south towards southern Overland Park and Olathe. Even heard thunder in the distance. A train of cells to the south looked like a string of pearls on radar.

Have a great Wednesday – hump day for those of us who still work and are not retired ;-(

3. REAL HUMEDUDE May 31, 2017 at 9:07 am - Reply

Picked up a fast 1/2″ last night at the farm, the storms held together pretty well even after the sun set which surprised me. Some amazing Cumulonimbus clouds yesterday afternoon, loves days like that with some real scenery around. I think their intensity was a little surprising even to NWS, there was a slew of warnings issued yesterday for only having a “marginal” risk. I think the slight risk today is a better assessment of the risk. The NW flow upstream seems to be loaded with tiny disturbances, active 24 hours setting up to end the month on a wet note.
    6.4″ is my monthly total at the farm , a pretty typical total for May around these parts. I was floored by Farmer Mike’s 11″+, they got hammered!

4. Jason May 31, 2017 at 12:15 pm - Reply

Absolutely pouring in Lawrence and areas west. So much for dry until this evening. I know that’s more KC forecast but I did not see this coming so early in the day

5. Mr. Pete May 31, 2017 at 12:36 pm - Reply

Drove through a blinding rain on my way to Manhattan this AM. Lots of lightening.

6. Anonymous May 31, 2017 at 1:07 pm - Reply

Jason…looks like more coming in in a few minutes

7. REAL HUMEDUDE May 31, 2017 at 1:40 pm - Reply

ping pong sized hail in cells in Miami and Lynn Counties. hoping they stay to the north, that will flatten our corn and bean crop!!
    too bad it’s already flattened many people’s crops, I guess silver lining is still early enough to replant!

8. REAL HUMEDUDE May 31, 2017 at 2:22 pm - Reply

worse storms out today than there were on Saturday, what gives?

• Three7s May 31, 2017 at 4:31 pm - Reply

If you’re way south of the area, yes. The Metro only got a brief shower.