Easter Sunday Weather

/Easter Sunday Weather

Easter Sunday Weather

Good morning and Happy Easter,

Thunderstorms have been producing some severe weather, but mostly beneficial rainfall. Here are the severe weather reports from the past two days:

Dimmitt, TX is located just southwest of Amarillo in the Texas Panhandle and there was a well videotaped tornado there two days ago. It was an isolated supercell thunderstorm that produced it.  Then, yesterday we had these severe weather reports:

There was at least one tornado reported in the northwest corner of Missouri on Saturday evening. These thunderstorms weakened as they approached Kansas City, but still produced some nice rainfall amounts in a few spots. I had 1.43″ of rain from these past two days in Overland Park.

Today’s severe weather outlook has a slight risk from around Childress, TX northeast to near Joplin, MO.  The risk is fairly low, but each thunderstorm still needs to be monitored closely. This pattern that become much wetter at the end of March is continuing. Here is the ten day outlook for rainfall between now and the 25th of the month:

It is showing a bit less than it had been showing near KC. Let’s see how this sets up in the next few days. Tuesday and Wednesday have my attention right now.

Have a great day and thank you for participating in this weather experience.

2017-04-17T10:19:58+00:00 April 16th, 2017|General|21 Comments

1. Michael Casteel April 16, 2017 at 8:20 am - Reply

Had a measly .07″ of rain in Maryville overnight. Glad you guys finally got a good drink of water! My wife and kids and I went out to look for that tornado last night. Saw the wall cloud it came from but no funnel. KQ2 had some photos of it touching down on their web site. Looked pretty small, but caution needs to be taken none the less! Have a Blessed Easter Gary, and all the bloggers!

2. Rockdoc April 16, 2017 at 8:26 am - Reply

Happy Easter Gary and fellow weather bloggers. So good to see you yesterday Gary at Nebraska Furniture Mart. Wow, Sunny has grown up and is such a good girl. I will see if I can get ahold of those 2 published papers on the 5th wave and send the PDFs to you. I really think the study/research they’ve done shows the LRC. It was interesting though that the figure they showed was for the 200mb layer. This would suggest that the development of the cycling pattern also takes place there or may be the main culprit that translates down to the 500mb layer. Anyhoooo……

Looks like I slept thru the action last night. I thought I heard a low rumble off in the distance, but rolled over and fell back asleep.

The patio is wet, so we did get rain here in south PV. Now that I have a “mini” yard I can finally get a rain gauge! Bloggers, any suggests on brand or what to look for in a good gauge?

Hope everyone has a really nice Easter. Watch out for those bunnies and peeps though 😊🐇🐣🐇🐣😊

• Joe April 16, 2017 at 2:14 pm - Reply

Rockdoc,

I have an accurate that I bought at Costco and love it. Works great! I think it was $59, indoor/outdoor temp, humidity, wind speeds, rain gauge, monthly and annual rain fall and programmable.

• Joe April 16, 2017 at 2:14 pm - Reply

Sorry, auto-correct, it is an Acu Rite

• Rockdoc April 16, 2017 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Thanks Joe. Do you know the model number? If so, I can look on Amazon since I don’t have Costco card. Doesn’t pay for me since I’m single and almost all food and other items packaged for families.

• joe April 16, 2017 at 4:50 pm - Reply

model No. is 02064CDI, it links to a mac or android device. Also, if you ever want to shop at Costco and don’t have a membership, just have somebody you know with one buy you a Costco cash card, you don’t need a membership

• Jason April 16, 2017 at 6:35 pm - Reply

I have a La Crosse technology indoor/outdoor temp, humidity, etc… love it.

3. Benchwarmer4 April 16, 2017 at 8:28 am - Reply

Saw the funnel as it passed rock port and it was plenty big then!

4. Heat MIser April 16, 2017 at 10:04 am - Reply

We got a lot of rain in Lawrence.

5. Snow Miser April 16, 2017 at 10:12 am - Reply

Happy Easter everyone!

6. REAL HUMEDUDE April 16, 2017 at 10:31 am - Reply

Biggest rain of the year at the farm in NW Vernon Co, about 1.75″. Creek was up about 6′ but not quite bank full. This combined with any additional will get the ponds all maxed out and the mushrooms will be popping now. I looked all over Saturday amd couldn’t find anything but ticks, ground was dry everywhere I looked. Happy Easter everybody, we have been blessed by a suddenly wet pattern

7. KS Jones April 16, 2017 at 10:35 am - Reply

I thought the storm was over at 9 PM last night and the 0.75″ that fell by then would be our total, but three more storm cells developed and tracked over the same area and we got 1.9″ before it was over.
    That brings our total rainfall for April (so far) to 3.45″, and the month is only half over.
    The forecast is predicting another 2″ will fall here between next Tuesday and Saturday.
    Our total rainfall for March & April (so far) is 7.05″, and our average for all of March and April is only 5.5″.

8. Troy April 16, 2017 at 12:53 pm - Reply

Jones,

I hope some of that rain falls further west soon I have got 4.00 for the year and .50 this month. We don’t always get wet this far nw until late April or May though.

9. Anonymous April 16, 2017 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Out here at the windmill farm it did not rain a drop, 3 miles to the east 4-6 inches of rain.

Gary quick question here, was watching The Weather Channel this morning about how a tornado develops, and storms in general, and during this process they always say air is pushed down and pulled up from the surface as long as it’s not out-flowing air. So when air flows down through a windmill farm how much energy is lost in that process, and is it possible that air is unable to lift back up when high winds at the surface are being manipulated, directed, by the farm. Thanks, and Happy Easter (home with sick kids today…hard to believe flu and stomach virus still widespread).

• Gary April 16, 2017 at 9:14 pm - Reply

Good questions. I do not believe a wind farm will make any difference whatsoever on the potential for a tornado. The scale of a tornado compared to a house or a wind mill is like you walking over a beetle or an ant. It really is incredible the power of the tornado and what it is capable of doing very quickly.

10. Dan M. April 16, 2017 at 2:52 pm - Reply

We received approximately 2″ last night just NE of Topeka. That gives me a total of around 11″ in the last 30 days. Very pond is full and it looks like we may receive more rain soon. This sudden shift to a wet pattern is a bit shocking considering the previous cycles did not produce.

Hope everyone else can share in this rainfall as we can use a few dry days.

11. George April 16, 2017 at 2:57 pm - Reply

Dumped out .75 inches this morning from the weekend. Not much but I will take it. North OP 87th & Antioch.

12. Snow Miser April 16, 2017 at 3:57 pm - Reply

Now 4 games in a row I did not watch the game, and 4 games in a row the Royals have won.

• Anonymous April 16, 2017 at 10:19 pm - Reply

me too lol. was just thinking i’ve paid attention to 6 games…they lost them all. I look at the standings this evening to see they’re 6-6 this year.

13. Austin Braddock April 16, 2017 at 7:32 pm - Reply

When is the severe weather outbreak scheduled in April

14. Rockdoc April 16, 2017 at 9:15 pm - Reply

I believe Gary had indicated around April 23rd for possible severe storms. This may have shifted due to curve balls thrown with this cycle. Gary, are we still on track or will it start to dry out by then? The Weather 1App shows us cooling down next weekend which suggests no severe weather in our neck of the woods. Maybe further south into Oklahoma or Texas?

The 23rd is 7 days away from today, Sunday. Perhaps we should start looking for weather setups in the models that may point the way as well as the LRC!

By the way, thanks for your suggestions on a rain gauge. Merci🤗