Kansas City Has Its First Snow Day In 3 Years

/Kansas City Has Its First Snow Day In 3 Years

Kansas City Has Its First Snow Day In 3 Years

Good Morning Weather2020 Bloggers,

schools

Well it finally happened. Kansas City Missouri Schools are having a snow day and over 100 other schools are closed today as well.  We were forecasting 1 to 2 inches of snow and it is very cold out there. Many secondary roads are snow covered this morning while the main highways have slick spots. This weak storm system is moving by this morning. There was one last band of snow moving in at sunrise and this could produce an additional 1/2″ or less in areas near KC.

Radar as of 7:15 AM:  Between 7:15 and 7:45 AM this band had shifted east by two counties!

screen-shot-2017-01-05-at-7-12-16-am

This radar image shows a band of moderate snow west of Topeka trying to work its way east. Let’s see how this tracks this morning, but it looks like it will bring an additional dusting to 1/2″ of snow to the south side of the KC metro area.  After this moves by some sun should work its way out this afternoon.

First Snow Day In 3 Years from Weather2020 on Vimeo.

Have a great day! Thank you so much for sharing in this LRC Forecast Experience! We will look much farther ahead and go in-depth into this weather pattern in tomorrows blog entry.

2017-01-06T08:13:08+00:00 January 5th, 2017|General|43 Comments

1. Snow Miser January 5, 2017 at 7:42 am - Reply

Only got an inch or a little more southeast of the stadiums. Looks to be about the same at work in downtown Independence, maybe a wee bit more.

• Snow Miser January 5, 2017 at 8:34 am - Reply

Correction: Just did a finger test outside at work and it looks more like a little over 2 inches. So it’s probably about 2 inches at my house.

2. Michael Casteel January 5, 2017 at 7:50 am - Reply

Recorded about three inches up here in Maryville. Really fluffy and really easy to scoop. Can’t complain too much, but still wanting that 12″ Blizzard. Have a safe and warm Thursday bloggers,

3. Weatherby Tom January 5, 2017 at 8:06 am - Reply

Measured exactly 3 inches at my house, with light snow falling – beautiful!

4. Rod January 5, 2017 at 8:10 am - Reply

Just under 1″ of snow in Ashland near the Columbia Regional Airport. Many schools in the area are in session. I’m ready for a significant winter weather event, the waiting continues.

5. Heat Miser January 5, 2017 at 8:14 am - Reply

Had to do a quick finger measure in Central Lawrence…close to 2 inches.

6. Emily B January 5, 2017 at 8:18 am - Reply

Beautiful, moderate snowfall here in Topeka from the 2nd wave that’s working its way SE now.

• Emily B January 5, 2017 at 8:19 am - Reply

I should have said, “moderate snow is falling”! 🙂

7. Heat Miser January 5, 2017 at 8:26 am - Reply

Man, it’s coming down pretty good again here in Lawrence too.

8. Elaine Watson January 5, 2017 at 8:33 am - Reply

Strong 2 inches here east of McLouth. Light snow still falling….better than nothing :).

9. Dan January 5, 2017 at 8:58 am - Reply

Thinking of you today Gary as it is difficult to fully enjoy the snow without Breezy. May you and Sunny make the most out of this snow day.

10. Rockdoc January 5, 2017 at 8:59 am - Reply

Snowing pretty good here in south Prairie Village. Started about 8:30 ish. There was ~2 inches of snow before this latest round. Maybe up to 3 when this band is finished.

Losts of birds feeding this morning. Bird seed was reloaded for those who feed off the railing since I get non perch birds too.

11. Snowflake January 5, 2017 at 9:08 am - Reply

Looks like a solid 2-3″ across most of the area.

An interesting little system considering it wasn’t on anyone’s radar, including the KSHB forecasts just 4-5 days ago (per the KSHB January 1 weatherblog entry).

• Gary January 5, 2017 at 10:49 am - Reply

Well, it was in our forecast from weeks ago for around the 5th. If we just used the LRC model and not the other models we would have gone strongly for this to happen and consistently. It is something that we, and I believe the rest of meteorology will be able to use and forecast in the future as we are still learning. Many of you have experienced our long range forecasts are better than these models so many times. It is just difficult to forecast when the other flawed models show no snow at all five to seven days out. In the past, when we have made high profile forecasts we have stuck to our LRC model. I need to do that much more often.

12. blue flash January 5, 2017 at 10:13 am - Reply

2 inches in West Central Independence.

13. someweatherdude January 5, 2017 at 10:34 am - Reply

Not nearly enough snow for a snow day. But whatever. Glad we got some snow!

14. someweatherdude January 5, 2017 at 10:38 am - Reply

BTW, last night’s Canadian model is trying to bring more snow in about a week. But seems to be an outlier.

• Gary January 5, 2017 at 10:46 am - Reply

The Canadian model will be wrong. What I am concerned about is the more realistic GFS model. It has 67 degrees next Saturday, the day before the Chiefs game, and then 32 on Chiefs Sunday. The LRC has a storm approaching that weekend, and it is right on schedule. It is more likely going to be around one to two days later. If it is, then Sunday could be the warm day. But, if it is one day earlier as it is on today’s model run, then it would be warm Saturday and not on Sunday. The LRC can get down to around a day this far out, but one day off can mean a big difference in a situation like this one.

• someweatherdude January 5, 2017 at 10:52 am - Reply

Looks like the Canadian and GFS differ greatly on how much cold air will have come down by then. The GFS is much warmer. I just hope it’s not an ice storm. I’m always pulling for whatever solution calls for more snow. But I know the Canadian isn’t considered a particularly accurate model.

• someweatherdude January 5, 2017 at 11:02 am - Reply

And the snow is gone on the 12z Canadian run anyway . . .

15. Baseball Mike January 5, 2017 at 10:45 am - Reply

Good late morning Gary-I measured an average of 2.5 inches here in Berryton-the past week two interesting weather talks I listened to-one on 580 WIBW with Maty Knapp an assistant climatologist at Kansas State and the other morning early Jim Cantore talking about forecasting snow and the hype that is related with a NWS meteorologist from Alabama. Very interesting talks from both discussions. They don’t close schools in and around Topeka and Wichita until a forecast of 4 or more inches! It is probably different with all the elevated structures in and around KC and the amount of traffic too when to close your schools. Take care,
    Michael /Topeka /Berryton

16. Hunter January 5, 2017 at 11:28 am - Reply

A snow day for barely 2″? I’m buried with all the food I bought getting ready for this blizzard. So thankful I lived through it lol

• Three7s January 5, 2017 at 12:09 pm - Reply

No beer?

• Heat Miser January 5, 2017 at 3:24 pm - Reply

LoL..drama queen…why did you say “barely” two inches. Why not just two inches?

• Gerry January 5, 2017 at 5:18 pm - Reply

Get back to counting beans

• Heat MIser January 5, 2017 at 11:20 pm - Reply

one bean, two beans…or is it barely two beans….?

17. Bill in Lawrence January 5, 2017 at 12:02 pm - Reply

Gary:
    Happy beautiful winter morn to you sir. No, this was not a major snow by any definition, but this Halloween/New Year’s part of the pattern has at least produced a good old fashioned KC looking winter morning.

I will report about 1.5 inches at my house this morning; it may be a bit more as I had to measure quickly so I could get the drive cleared and get to work early this morning. The city of Lawrence has officially recorded 3 inches but I really don’t think I got that at my house. Whatever the case, this was kind of like the little vort that could; it gave us all it had. 

I have to defend this LRC a little bit this morning.

There is no doubt we are not in the right spot again this winter and we look to have another overall bad winter LRC (but it may well be a decent spring and summer LRC again). If the early-mid December part of the pattern does not catch lightening in a bottle or if the forecasted negative AO can’t force something in this warmer period, we may well be lucky to get 10 inches of snow for the season. That said, however, this LRC in my very humble opinion, has delivered better wintery solutions than we have seen in a few years.

The two snow events and I use that term very loosely by the way, have been all snow and it has been very cold for the event and for a few days after the event. They have both produced a true winter look to the area that we have not really seen in the past few years. While we have yet to receive a 4 plus inch snow and it really looks like our chances of one are probably 30% at best for the season, there still has been some winter precip and cold that are not too shabby at all.

When you think about it, this LRC kind of has some goodies for everyone. For those of us that like winter, we have had some snow and cold and for those that do not, we have had warmth and a lack of winter. Does the winter enthusiast want a bigger snow-of course we do. But considering the past 3 years, a couple 2-3 inch snows that were all snow and that will stick around for 2-3 days, this LRC is doing okay.

I know many will not agree with me and I can for sure see why; we know that 2010-2011 and 2012-2013 have not walked through that door nor are they likely to in late January when the window opens back up. However, if you take this LRC for what it is, we haven’t done all that bad in the winter department.

Just a random thought on this cold winter’s day.

Bill in Washington Creek Valley in Lawrence

• Three7s January 5, 2017 at 12:18 pm - Reply

Other than the last two years, the area has actually done well on snow. 2009-2010 was one of the more productive snow years in KC metro history, along with 2010-2011. Then, after the non-winter of 2011-2012, 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 was also pretty solid in the wintry precipitation department.

• Bill in Lawrence January 5, 2017 at 3:06 pm - Reply

Three7’s:

I wholeheartedly agree. We’ve had some great winters in the past 10 years for sure and I have some amazing snow pictures of my 2 boys going back into the early 2000’s.

This LRC is not done yet for winter either. While I doubt any of those great snow years are walking through that door, we know we at least have another 10-12 day window for something to pop and even a chance or two sprinkled in before and after that if we can catch lightening in a bottle.

At the end of the day though, I am looking out the window and there is snow on the ground-enough snow to go sledding and it is 15 degrees outside. It really doesn’t get more wintry than that in Lawrence Kansas. 🙂

Bill in Washington Creek Valley in Lawrence

• Heat MIser January 5, 2017 at 11:21 pm - Reply

Were you not around for the Xmas blizzard….that was even more wintery.

18. Blake January 5, 2017 at 12:04 pm - Reply

Barry Road just north of Weatherby Lake, exactly two inches.

19. Alex Pickman January 5, 2017 at 12:15 pm - Reply

3″ here in Stewartsville, MO

20. Alex Pickman January 5, 2017 at 12:18 pm - Reply

2.75″ in Stewartsville, MO…Not 3

21. f00dl3 January 5, 2017 at 12:37 pm - Reply

2 for 2 using the LRC 🙂

Next up Valentines day!

• Three7s January 5, 2017 at 12:55 pm - Reply

That one better not be a major snowstorm. I have my vacation scheduled to start that week!

• Bill in Lawrence January 5, 2017 at 2:57 pm - Reply

foodl3:

I 100% agree that the Valentine’s Day period provides our next best shot at a decent winter event; I would place it at least 70%. .

However, I would respectfully argue that our chances begin to creep into the 30-40% chance range beginning around January 22nd and that between now and then we are sitting at around a 8-12% chance.

Just my very humble opinion

Bill in Washington Creek Valley in Lawrence

22. Gary H January 5, 2017 at 1:51 pm - Reply

2-3 inches in Blue Springs after this morning’s final round. About the same as what everyone else in KC is reporting. Nice little snow!

23. Heat Miser January 5, 2017 at 3:25 pm - Reply

I’m happy with this 2 inch snow…light, easy to brush off, pretty, it did the job for me.

24. stl78 January 5, 2017 at 4:16 pm - Reply

Headed back to kc from winona mn we have been dealing with snow squalls. Sun and then snow..kind of cool

25. Dan January 5, 2017 at 4:59 pm - Reply

Is Atlanta GA really about to get 3-5″ of snow ??? They can match our total snowfall this year in one snow.

26. Gerry January 5, 2017 at 5:21 pm - Reply

If anyone wants snow removal services let me know. My company is local and about to celebrate 75 years in KC. We do anything from lawncare to snow removal.

27. Snow Miser January 5, 2017 at 8:37 pm - Reply

Some of the towns in SW Kansas must be getting monster amounts of snow by now.